Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai is terrible because.....

Dubai is terrible because.....

Old May 14th 2005, 3:47 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai is terrible because.....

Quality Construction
Freedom of Speech
Human Rights

And most importantly...Baha Fresh
Old May 14th 2005, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by Don
Dubai unfortunately has nothing intrinsically interesting going for it apart from warm weather and being on the way to somewhere else...apart from being somewhere good to earn decent money.

Where is Dubai's history & culture?

Why, before oil, was it not just a nowhere place but not even seen as an important colonial possession?

Take away the flash buildings and new-found wealth and you see a naked syphilitic emperor. Shops good - wow, that makes it OK then.

Where is the atmosphere?

The best I can say is that it is an extremely good place to do business from thanks to advantageous tax regime and rule of law as regards property and commerce.

Where is the atmoshpere? Nothing interesting? - Have you ever visited apart from the airport?

Just because there are no century old buildings to show for doesn't mean there is no history or culture.

Ever heard of the British Empire?

Ever heard of the crossroads and pearl diving?

Ever seen a country to re-invest its oil wealth and consider future generations?

Let those who enjoy Dubai live a dream and those who don't waste away their brain.
Old May 14th 2005, 4:22 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Where is the atmoshpere? Nothing interesting? - Have you ever visited apart from the airport?

Just because there are no century old buildings to show for doesn't mean there is no history or culture.

Ever seen a country to re-invest its oil wealth and consider future generations?

Let those who enjoy Dubai live a dream and those who don't waste away their brain.

Well done PT couldnt have said it better myself..........
Old May 14th 2005, 5:04 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Yes...It is a great place to make a quick buck.
Old May 14th 2005, 5:11 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

The bloody sand keeps making my balcony dirty, half my plants die every spring, and the Al Marooj Rotana still isn't finished.

But I love it

trin
Old May 14th 2005, 5:11 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
The bloody sand keeps making my balcony dirty, half my plants die every spring, and the Al Marooj Rotana still isn't finished.

But I love it

trin

Heeee
Old May 14th 2005, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Coming from a sunny country myself,I feel bored half the summer.
So,it will be the usual:
Traffic,unbelievably bad drivers,lack of respect from certain individuals(mostly caused by their ignorance and arrogance),bureaucracy,and changing laws and then reenacting the old ones after a short time.
Old May 14th 2005, 8:10 pm
W10

I like Dubai. However, lets not pretend that there is any culture here. Not even close. Lets not pretend that people aren't out here for the sunshine and the money because 99% of us are.

Dubai realised it was running out of oil and realised it had to do something or it would be screwed in the long term, that's why it started recruiting businesses aggressively.

As far as I can see it was partly good marketing (but was that really working? I'll leave that to more informed people than me to answer. What was the population of Dubai in 1995 for example). It owes a lot to huge slices of good luck (in terms of world events) that has enabled Dubai to attract a huge amount of inward investment become a major player in the Middle East.

By the way, there were old buildings weren't there? I presume they just knocked them down

Old May 14th 2005, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Adan has a spectacular aura aboutAdan has a spectacular aura aboutAdan has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by samireh
Let's have all the negative comments and opinions please....then we can all have a nice realistic overview...
One BIG negative in my opinion is the difficulty of actually getting to Dubai. It's next to impossible unless you are well connected (from what I've heard). Even if I do eventually find what I'm looking for there I will always have the nagging feeling that I can always be replaced by someone who will do my job for a fraction of the salary, and they're a dime a dozen. Talk about stability.

Warm weather and tax free income are beginning to lose their appeal when considering the amount of energy I have put.
Old May 15th 2005, 3:20 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adan
One BIG negative in my opinion is the difficulty of actually getting to Dubai. It's next to impossible unless you are well connected (from what I've heard). Even if I do eventually find what I'm looking for there I will always have the nagging feeling that I can always be replaced by someone who will do my job for a fraction of the salary, and they're a dime a dozen. (

This is the #1 reason why I question the massive infrastructure expansion geared towards people of means.
Old May 15th 2005, 3:24 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

The coffee machine in the emirates lounge is broken this morning...
Old May 15th 2005, 4:22 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I like Dubai. However, lets not pretend that there is any culture here. Not even close. Lets not pretend that people aren't out here for the sunshine and the money because 99% of us are.

Dubai realised it was running out of oil and realised it had to do something or it would be screwed in the long term, that's why it started recruiting businesses aggressively.

As far as I can see it was partly good marketing (but was that really working? I'll leave that to more informed people than me to answer. What was the population of Dubai in 1995 for example). It owes a lot to huge slices of good luck (in terms of world events) that has enabled Dubai to attract a huge amount of inward investment become a major player in the Middle East.

By the way, there were old buildings weren't there? I presume they just knocked them down
I didn't think there was ever oil in Dubai?
Old May 15th 2005, 5:31 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jellybean
I didn't think there was ever oil in Dubai?
Yes, they discovered it in the early 60s and started exporting in 1966. It's predicted to run out in about 20-30 years, which is why the Dubai government has been so aggressively chasing tourism and non-oil business investment - to cushion the impact when there are no more oil revenues.
Old May 15th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by W10

I suppose not everyone walks around with open eyes and ears and only gets to see and hear what they want to. Every single country on this planet has a history and culture but what do people consider culture nowadays, I have no idea.

I know plenty of people who aren't out here for the sunshine as they had plenty of it back home and what would be the percentage of construction and municipality workers that hardly worship the sun, sand and heat they are exposed to 365 days a year? I for once fall into the 1% category of not being here for the money on the contrary. I came here to find a multicultural society that will accept me for who I am and particularly my children and fill me/us with inner happiness. I left my husband behind in the UK, slaving away in his businesses and continue to pay his contributions and much loved taxes. I left behind a luxury home and swaped it for the local council estate of Emaar. We are paying for all bills including schooling and insurance ourselves and still manage to live a happier life even if there is a bigger hole in our pockets. I take my kids to the communal pool, free parks and beaches and keep away from shopping malls, beach clubs and bars. What a bargain of a life filled with interesting people to talk to and every day is a reminder of how fortunate I am compared to those who seem to have it all or nothing at all.

Well, at least Dubai has looked into the future and didn't allow greediness to eat away on them.

What you call luck, I call business marketing. Advertising isn't cheap but it pays huge profits. Why do famous fast food outlets and soft drink companies never stop to brain wash people? It pays to be reminded.

What's wrong with knocking down buildings and put something more-up-to date in its place? Would you wear the same clothes all your life and pass them on from generation to generation? Not only wouldn't they last but it would be a pretty boring scenery not to have a change.
Old May 15th 2005, 5:43 am
Long Member

lewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Dubai is terrible because.....

we all have our say...but in the words of a great mate of mine who works as a painter in the dubai Dry Docks...if your an Expat and dont like the Roads , Goverement, housing, lack of culture...or what ever else you dont like....then Fick off home and stop bitchin...leave Dubai to the people that like the place, like living here...

Go on on do one!!!

I feel better now...later dudes.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.