Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Salary Negotiation

Dubai Salary Negotiation

Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

_jon_ will become famous soon enough_jon_ will become famous soon enough
Default Dubai Salary Negotiation

I've posted the house husband question but then other issues crept in and it seems fitting to ask them in their own right as they may be overlooked.

Wife is being approached for move to Middle East subsidiary of her large international company. I'd have to take a career break from work.

Offer currently mentions:
house for entire duration,
kids education costs (up to 10k US$ each).We have two kids, 12 and 3.
Company Car
annual flights home

We are aware that the education allowance may not cover the costs fully.

We have to consider what salary to ask for as discussions continue, she was told 'name your price'.

What IS enough money for our lifestyle.

I ride a Harley (would export it) and drive a 5 year old Honda.
We have a two week holiday to the Far easy or USA every year.
She shops in All Saints or Zara.
I don't shop unless its in the States. (Abercrombie too expensive in the UK)
We eat out once a week, somewhere like Wagamama or a Balti.
We don't drink or smoke.

In the UK her salary is 50K plus 10% bonus, I'm on 35K that we'd have to give up.
Our disposable income in the UK would be about £1400 a month. We spend it all.

We have to budget for about £1100 of send home money to cover mortgage and endowments plans.

Where does that fit in with a Dubai income.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Salary Negotiation

Originally Posted by _jon_
I've posted the house husband question but then other issues crept in and it seems fitting to ask them in their own right as they may be overlooked.

Wife is being approached for move to Middle East subsidiary of her large international company. I'd have to take a career break from work.

Offer currently mentions:
house for entire duration,
kids education costs (up to 10k US$ each).We have two kids, 12 and 3.
Company Car
annual flights home

We are aware that the education allowance may not cover the costs fully.

We have to consider what salary to ask for as discussions continue, she was told 'name your price'.

What IS enough money for our lifestyle.

I ride a Harley (would export it) and drive a 5 year old Honda.
We have a two week holiday to the Far easy or USA every year.
She shops in All Saints or Zara.
I don't shop unless its in the States. (Abercrombie too expensive in the UK)
We eat out once a week, somewhere like Wagamama or a Balti.
We don't drink or smoke.

In the UK her salary is 50K plus 10% bonus, I'm on 35K that we'd have to give up.
Our disposable income in the UK would be about £1400 a month. We spend it all.

We have to budget for about £1100 of send home money to cover mortgage and endowments plans.

Where does that fit in with a Dubai income.
upwards of 30k AED + everything covered. spend half - save half
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
upwards of 30k AED + everything covered. spend half - save half
Millhouse means 30K+ a month..
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

On your present salaries and life styles, why on earth would you want to move?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

To further the wife's career.
To get out the UK for next few (dismal) years.
To give me the kick to leave the public sector.
To get the kids away from binge drinking teendom.
To ride my motorbike for more than 4 months of the year.
To bank a shit load of cash.
To get away from my mother.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:27 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say this post has puzzled me,you are currently living some kind of suburbia existence and want to recreate it in UAE to the point of even relocating your motorbike, taking the same holidays and buying abercrombie clothes in the US.
I think you have an unreasonable expectation,and the streets are not paved with gold.
Anyhow good luck, also you will ride the bike less than in the UK as its too bloody hot. You ought to get a lot more than just 4 months by the way.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

I think perhaps you misunderstand.

The question merely attempts to describe how we live.
If I were someone else, I may have said my wife works in Tesco, we shop at Debenhams and Primark and go to the same hotel in Spain every year. We shop at ASDA and my kids survive on processed chicken dippers and chips.

What I am trying to illustrate is how I live. What we don't quite know is the cost of living in Dubai when comparing it to how we live.
I don't want to replicate my UK small town life, but in moving I expect to be able to go out, eat well and shop as I please.

If I'm honest, the idea of asking for a salary of 30k, so over £5000 a month, would seem like a dream income here as we get along with around 2/3 of this in our bank account.
That is, of course, unless the lifestyle we have in the UK costs vastly more to attain in UAE.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:50 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I think perhaps you misunderstand.

The question merely attempts to describe how we live.
If I were someone else, I may have said my wife works in Tesco, we shop at Debenhams and Primark and go to the same hotel in Spain every year. We shop at ASDA and my kids survive on processed chicken dippers and chips.

What I am trying to illustrate is how I live. What we don't quite know is the cost of living in Dubai when comparing it to how we live.
I don't want to replicate my UK small town life, but in moving I expect to be able to go out, eat well and shop as I please.

If I'm honest, the idea of asking for a salary of 30k, so over £5000 a month, would seem like a dream income here as we get along with around 2/3 of this in our bank account.
That is, of course, unless the lifestyle we have in the UK costs vastly more to attain in UAE.
Ok well in general the prices are much higher, but if the company are paying for a car, accommodation, schooling etc well essentially you have no outgoings except discretionary spending.
While going out will be more expensive you will still have a lot more disposable income than you do now, so 5,000 - the cost of servicing the mortgage at home.
Buy a second hand harley here, not worth the shipping costs etc from the UK.

it will be interesting to see what figure the company have in mind for your wife, I am guessing the very same salary as the UK except tax free.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

We are waiting on that....the job is a step up the ladder and they came after her, so that is our bargaining chip.

Then I just need to find the 'Gentlemen that Lunch' group.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Ok well in general the prices are much higher, but if the company are paying for a car, accommodation, schooling etc well essentially you have no outgoings except discretionary spending.
While going out will be more expensive you will still have a lot more disposable income than you do now, so 5,000 - the cost of servicing the mortgage at home.
Buy a second hand harley here, not worth the shipping costs etc from the UK.

it will be interesting to see what figure the company have in mind for your wife, I am guessing the very same salary as the UK except tax free.
yep, agree with WEASEL....if the mrs gets the equivalent of what she is on in the UK, then you'll be laughing all the way to the bank....but i am very dubious about companies out here who say 'name your price'....usually its BS....especially when they can get someone with the same skill sets from the subcontinent and pay 2/3 less then they would for a western expat.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

I moved out from the UK with my large multi national in April to the UAE.

After all my allowances etc are added I get approx double my UK basic salary. When I take out the tax I have approx 2.5 to three times my previous take home.

This was calculated by the company as they benchmark prices across the world to compare costs of living.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

(Abercrombie too expensive in the UK)
Consider it a mixed blessing that you don't buy Abercrombie in the UK. Over here (US) it has a reputation for being over priced preppy poser wear synonymous with douchebaggery.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

O.K, on the face of it you appear to be onto a good package.
Just make sure that it is ring fenced, and forget about bringing your Harley:some prat in a Land-Cruiser will make you a statistic on the SZR!
(And that ain't being cynical, it's a fact of life....)
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

OK we are getting further along.

The offer is 25k

plus

house
car
health and dental
annual flights home
broadband
(may include electric)
mobile phone

Then there is a bonus that can be 40% of the entire package.

We are going to try and edge the offer towards 30k, try and get a 2nd car on 2 month lease and another set of flights.

Unreasonable?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

scot-ish has a spectacular aura aboutscot-ish has a spectacular aura aboutscot-ish has a spectacular aura about

doesnt make sense to me for you to move for that?

you shared 90k between you in the uk, and your coming over here for 25k plus house etc ? seems like you will be worse off?

with your £1100 per month sending home, that leaves you with £900 or so, a month to live off here, with 2 kids- I doubt that would be comfortable.

and a big international company, and "name your price" 25k is poor is it not? my partner earns that as a primary school teacher with only 1 years exp, with much the same package exluding a car. thats a single person's salary.

maybe im wrong, but i wouldnt shift my family accross the world for 25k when you earn 90k between you already.

EDITED- to say, if you mean 25k AED pcm, then ignore my post, but if you mean £25k per yr, then i wouldn't shift.

Last edited by scot-ish; Oct 19th 2011 at 5:30 am. Reason: hmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.