Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai offer letter changed from 3 year fixed term to 2 years

Dubai offer letter changed from 3 year fixed term to 2 years

Old Mar 18th 2022, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai offer letter changed from 3 year fixed term to 2 years

I received an offer for a new job in Dubai. It was a 3 year fixed term contract, as per the new Labor laws. I signed the Employment Contract to accept, returned it and resigned from my current company.

Now, just before I start at the new company they've reisssued the Employment Contract to me with a 2 year Fixed Term and asked me to sign that. When I asked why it was changed they said that it is to bring it in line with the Dubai work permit which is also 2 years.

Should I just sign and not worry about it, or is there something I should be wary of here?
Old Mar 18th 2022, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Laguna_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai offer letter changed from 3 year fixed term to 2 years

I feel for you - if that was here in the UK your approach would be very different.

Over there, I would just sign and get on with it. Whether it was two year or three year, if they like u and u do the job they want you to do well they’ll likely extend it for another two years again which works out better longer term.

i have no experience of dubai market so just chilling in for some morale support. Plus do I have any other option if you’ve already resigned and nearly started or already started. ?

you’ll make much more money in the two years there than u would in the Uk I imagine, plus dubai market quite hard for new entrants (I’m assuming you’ve come from the Uk) so you’ve done well
to secure a role
out there.

I would sign and enjoy
Old Mar 18th 2022, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dominoman
Now, just before I start at the new company they've reisssued the Employment Contract to me with a 2 year Fixed Term and asked me to sign that. When I asked why it was changed they said that it is to bring it in line with the Dubai work permit which is also 2 years.
All company sponsored UAE residence permits - no matter in which Emirate they're issued in - can be issued for up to 3 years. They've chosen to give you a 2 year visa, rather than being forced to, so it seems they've had a change of heart and are trying to fob you off. You could ask them to check the UAE visa rules here though I very much doubt they're not aware of them.

https://u.ae/en/information-and-serv...residence-visa

Old Mar 19th 2022, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as it doesn’t have an impact on your ability to resign. Some 2 year Limited contracts have a 45 day salary penalty if you resign within the two years. However, this was under the old limited vs unlimited contract systems. Have a read of the terms or ask HR if there is an impact. Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2022, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. I've checked the new contract and it's identical in all other ways so I'll just go ahead and sign. I'd rather a 3 year fixed term, but in the end it shouldnt matter as they will renew if they're happy with me, and I dont see much to be gained by making a fuss.