Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai: No degree, no chance?

Dubai: No degree, no chance?

Old May 8th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

delorean is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dubai: No degree, no chance?

Just wondering if it's even worth trying to head out to Dubai to live/work with no degree, especially for IT work?

I have many years experience in the IT trade but no real qualifications (I fluked my way in the door and worked from there). I also heard Dubai is a 'not what you know, who you know' place.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on IT work in Dubai? My girlfriend and I are looking at Dubai as a second option if we cannot get work in the Cayman Islands.

Thanks!
Old May 8th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

kiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the roughkiwihope is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dubai: No degree, no chance?

Originally Posted by delorean
Just wondering if it's even worth trying to head out to Dubai to live/work with no degree, especially for IT work?

I have many years experience in the IT trade but no real qualifications (I fluked my way in the door and worked from there). I also heard Dubai is a 'not what you know, who you know' place.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on IT work in Dubai? My girlfriend and I are looking at Dubai as a second option if we cannot get work in the Cayman Islands.

Thanks!
I work for a leading company in Dubai. Expenses are sky rockerting. Unless there is nothing to do. Head to UAE. Not only that most of these guys don't know the word "polite". Come and enjoy
Old May 8th 2007, 6:22 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I work in a Freezone and our staff (psychologists) have not had to produce qualifications for visa purposes. Not sure what the IT industry is like but it will probably depend on the company. I think you would have to be lucky to get a good job in IT here without the qualifications to back it up - could be wrong. But there are a lot of people from the sub continent that will work for a fraction of what you would so unless you are very high up the chain, I would recommned the Cayman Islands.

That said, you could spec your CV to some agencies and see how it goes.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:41 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Depends on what area of IT.

I work with two guys who don't have degrees, but are very experienced and get residency OK (we're in the freezone).

It's a lot easier if you have contacts. You'll also be up against other people often from the sub-continent who (on paper) would put Bill Gates to shame. In reality (from my experience), they generally don't live up to their CVs, but will accept a fraction of what you would likely expect.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think you'll struggle.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:45 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You'll also be up against other people often from the sub-continent who (on paper) would put Bill Gates to shame. In reality (from my experience), they generally don't live up to their CVs, but will accept a fraction of what you would likely expect.
Excellent! So true. The amount of CVs that land on my desk that show highly qualified people are a joke. Generally after a few mins on the phone, you realise that there must be some great agency out there writing CV's for people.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:46 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Excellent! So true. The amount of CVs that land on my desk that show highly qualified people are a joke. Generally after a few mins on the phone, you realise that there must be some great agency out there writing CV's for people.
you can buy a degree on tinternet! night night!! just watching what you were doing with the bar!
Old May 8th 2007, 6:49 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you can buy a degree on tinternet! night night!! just watching what you were doing with the bar!
Not just degrees - qualifications for Sun, IBM, Cisco, Brocade and so on.

Seen some classic examples that have kept us amused in the office after speaking to the candidates.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:51 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Excellent .. I wonder what I shall become!
Old May 8th 2007, 7:20 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there supposed to be a system now whereby the authenticity of your degree has to be confirmed before you're given a work permit?

But NorthernLad is right, inside free zones degrees aren't an issue, and even outside free zones experience matters most. If a company wants to hire you it will, regardless of whether or not you have a degree. I don't (I dropped out of uni to get a job), but I do have a lot of experience, and that's what matters in my industry (television).

As has been said, though, IT is a difficult one, simply because there are so many people from the subcontinent who have (genuine) qualifications up to their eyeballs and who will do the job for a fraction of the salary a Westerner will expect. There *are* Westerners working in IT here, but they tend to be very senior management.
Old May 8th 2007, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

delorean is an unknown quantity at this point

Much appreciate all of the posts and advice above. Perhaps it would be better to concentrate on the Cayman Islands for now!

Could somebody define the 'freezone' to me please, that's a new one on me. Thanks.
Old May 9th 2007, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
I work in a Freezone and our staff (psychologists) have not had to produce qualifications for visa purposes. Not sure what the IT industry is like but it will probably depend on the company. I think you would have to be lucky to get a good job in IT here without the qualifications to back it up - could be wrong. But there are a lot of people from the sub continent that will work for a fraction of what you would so unless you are very high up the chain, I would recommned the Cayman Islands.

That said, you could spec your CV to some agencies and see how it goes.
Since when did a nutjob need a degree???
Old May 9th 2007, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Depends on what area of IT.

I work with two guys who don't have degrees, but are very experienced and get residency OK (we're in the freezone).

It's a lot easier if you have contacts. You'll also be up against other people often from the sub-continent who (on paper) would put Bill Gates to shame. In reality (from my experience), they generally don't live up to their CVs, but will accept a fraction of what you would likely expect.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think you'll struggle.
The majority of the CVs that I get are of top notch level (Some graduated in Business Management,some in International Commerce,others in Business Law)...If they come to Dubai,they would get at least 30K dirhams/month,but,they don't even know how to buy a cigarette pack from down the street,let alone be productive in international trade...
Old May 9th 2007, 2:15 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

No you don't need a degree to get a work permit here.

FACT