Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai to Nizwa (Oman)

Dubai to Nizwa (Oman)

Old May 20th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default Dubai to Nizwa (Oman)

Hi there,

I need to go from Dubai to Nizwa in Oman and I do not drive. Any idea of how to do it? Any bus service from Dubai? Flight?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 20th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai to Nizwa (Oman)

here is the Oman National Transport Company bus web site http://www.ontcoman.com/index.htm
Old May 20th 2008, 2:34 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klaus3974
Hi there,

I need to go from Dubai to Nizwa in Oman and I do not drive. Any idea of how to do it? Any bus service from Dubai? Flight?

Thanks for your help.
flight from Dubai to Muscat then it is a two hour drive from Muscat. there is a small airport in Nizwa so may be worth speaking to an agent if chartered flights go there.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Heen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Klaus

flights to Muscat from Dubai are plentiful. Once you get to Seeb International Airport (Muscat), take a taxi to the Russail Roundabout. This shouldn't cost you more than 3 or 4 Rials, but you will have to haggle for it. From here you can take either a shared taxi to Nizwa, for 2 Rials (max!), or an "engaged" taxi for about 10 Rials. Again, haggling is very much the order of the day. You might find a taxidriver at Seeb who will take you straight to Nizwa, but he will charge you the earth. Specify whereabouts in Nizwa you want to go by using landmarks such as important buildings - postal addresses and street names mean nothing!

Good luck!
Heen
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:58 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heen
Hi Klaus

flights to Muscat from Dubai are plentiful. Once you get to Seeb International Airport (Muscat), take a taxi to the Russail Roundabout. This shouldn't cost you more than 3 or 4 Rials, but you will have to haggle for it. From here you can take either a shared taxi to Nizwa, for 2 Rials (max!), or an "engaged" taxi for about 10 Rials. Again, haggling is very much the order of the day. You might find a taxidriver at Seeb who will take you straight to Nizwa, but he will charge you the earth. Specify whereabouts in Nizwa you want to go by using landmarks such as important buildings - postal addresses and street names mean nothing!

Good luck!
Heen
is it in Nizwa they have the goat market? and you get to watch them kill a goat on a certain day of the week?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Heen is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed, Slingshot, you can buy a goat on Friday mornings in Nizwa if you're at a loss as to what to have for lunch at the weekend. They make good pets, too. You may be interested to know that there is a breed of goat unique to Oman called hemitragus jayakeri. A funny-looking thing you may come across in Jebel Akhdar. I believe the Arabic name is "tahr", but I wouldn't swear to it.

Not a lot of visible slaughtering in Nizwa, unless you're around for Eid, when it all gets a bit noisy and smelly. I've always thought it's curious how you never see "kid" on any restaurant menu - they prefer the generic word "mutton", which just about covers lamb, ewe, ram, kid, billy goat and probably any road kill (donkey, mule, dog, giraffe, walrus, grandmother...)

The livestock market is right next to the fort. You can't miss it.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:46 am
same shit different day

Originally Posted by Heen
Indeed, Slingshot, you can buy a goat on Friday mornings in Nizwa if you're at a loss as to what to have for lunch at the weekend. They make good pets, too. You may be interested to know that there is a breed of goat unique to Oman called hemitragus jayakeri. A funny-looking thing you may come across in Jebel Akhdar. I believe the Arabic name is "tahr", but I wouldn't swear to it.

Not a lot of visible slaughtering in Nizwa, unless you're around for Eid, when it all gets a bit noisy and smelly. I've always thought it's curious how you never see "kid" on any restaurant menu - they prefer the generic word "mutton", which just about covers lamb, ewe, ram, kid, billy goat and probably any road kill (donkey, mule, dog, giraffe, walrus, grandmother...)

The livestock market is right next to the fort. You can't miss it.
Thanks Heen - I always wanted an unusual pet