Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Move for Family of 4

Dubai Move for Family of 4

Old May 13th 2024, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Dimi10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dubai Move for Family of 4

Hi would a a package of 50,000.00 AED a month plus school fees be sufficient for a family of 4 ( two kids ) to live comfortably in Dubai?

Any Help or Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Dimi10; May 13th 2024 at 5:07 pm.
Old May 14th 2024, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

clownshow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai Move for Family of 4

Originally Posted by Dimi10
Hi would a a package of 50,000.00 AED a month plus school fees be sufficient for a family of 4 ( two kids ) to live comfortably in Dubai?

Any Help or Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Define comfortably?

What type of accomodation are you planning on?

Do you want a car?

Do you plan on eating out, going on trips and excursions, shopping?

How long is a piece of string?
Old May 14th 2024, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clownshow
Define comfortably?

What type of accomodation are you planning on?

Do you want a car?

Do you plan on eating out, going on trips and excursions, shopping?

How long is a piece of string?
Hi,

We would be looking at a 3 bed villa or townhouse somewhere like Arabian ranches, yes we would be looking at a car nothing fancy. We are looking to move for a better lifestyle for our kids who like being outdoors, something that’s a struggle with uk weather. We would look to maybe eat out once a month. Excursions wise probably once a month. Shopping is not high on our agenda.

thanks
Old May 14th 2024, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Traveler20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dimi10
Hi,

We would be looking at a 3 bed villa or townhouse somewhere like Arabian ranches, yes we would be looking at a car nothing fancy. We are looking to move for a better lifestyle for our kids who like being outdoors, something that’s a struggle with uk weather. We would look to maybe eat out once a month. Excursions wise probably once a month. Shopping is not high on our agenda.

thanks
If being more outdoor is what you’re aiming for just remember the UAE is a glorified desert. The summer month are extremely hot and challenging for outdoor activities - you would likely be spending all your time indoors like everyone else starting around April or earlier all the way to Oct/Nov.

Not sure about your temperature tolerance level and/or if you’ve visited Dubai before but make sure you understand what you’re getting into and if it all matches your expectations.

Can’t comment on the package - seems Okish if school fees are fully paid assuming no cap. Also, is the salary acceptable for what you do?
Old May 14th 2024, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Traveler20
If being more outdoor is what you’re aiming for just remember the UAE is a glorified desert. The summer month are extremely hot and challenging for outdoor activities - you would likely be spending all your time indoors like everyone else starting around April or earlier all the way to Oct/Nov.

Not sure about your temperature tolerance level and/or if you’ve visited Dubai before but make sure you understand what you’re getting into and if it all matches your expectations.

Can’t comment on the package - seems Okish if school fees are fully paid assuming no cap. Also, is the salary acceptable for what you do?
Hi,

thanks for your reply,

Yes, we have had 6 days of no rain in 7 months where we are in the UK so would be happy to swap that out. Born and raised in Kenya so heat isn’t too much of an issue for me, I’m sure my kids would adapt as they constantly have colds and coughs over here.

We have been to Dubai a few times already during July and August.

I’m a commercial manager in construction and seems about right from what I’ve read! so many different opinions with regards to salaries and cost of living.
Old May 15th 2024, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point

If school fees are paid for, it helps. I looked at basic outgoings for a family of 4, and 60k was the figure I came to. That did not include much for recreational fun, saving, holidays or any such fun stuff. That did include school fees though. This was calculated with some help from the forum for Abu Dhabi mind you.

Summer months are brutal here. As someone who was raised partly in Africa and Asia, I'd happily cover up and go out in the rain than do anything outside during the daytime in the GCC area at the moment. Winters are pretty good. There's a reason for the sedentary lifestyle, lack of a tan and general levels of diabetes are the way they are here.
Old May 15th 2024, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding my 2c worth

A 3 bed in Ranches or Ranches 2 (I live here) will be at least 200k possibly more with a prospect of going higher. Does differ a bit between independent villas and townhouses though. It’s a great area for families but repeating again it’s brutally hot for 6 months and some families struggle with kids (as you are stuck indoors so much) hence why there is a significant departure to home countries during the summer hols. I’m sure you have read other threads about cost of living here, utilities, transport, out of school activities, vacations, keeping up NI and pension, tax obligations in first year, set up costs etc etc all of which will eat into your post housing salary. 50k is ok but you won’t be flush with a family of 4.

Last edited by UKMS; May 15th 2024 at 5:21 pm.