Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai Metro cutbacks....... what - already??

Dubai Metro cutbacks....... what - already??

Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai Metro cutbacks....... what - already??

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...ve-387440.html
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Metro cutbacks....... what - already??

Might have something to do with the 2 billion dollars they owe the Japanese construction consortium that built it.......
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

This is no surprise really.

No one expects rail / metro systems to ever pay back their capital costs but it is normally reasonable to assume that they will cover their operating costs. I doubt that the fares on the metro even cover the AC bills.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
This is no surprise really.

No one expects rail / metro systems to ever pay back their capital costs but it is normally reasonable to assume that they will cover their operating costs. I doubt that the fares on the metro even cover the AC bills.
Or the Calfskin napa seats in Gold Class........
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:08 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Might have something to do with the 2 billion dollars they owe the Japanese construction consortium that built it.......
and the fact they chose that consortium ... expatriate Japanese workers who are not paid whilst on an expat job get paid by the Japanese Government
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't questioning the reason - I was however implying that this is a very poor, and very public, way of saying 'we're still in trouble'.............
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:09 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone knows that Dubai has massive debts although it's not really talked about.

Other than the snail's pace in completing certain roadway projects I'm not aware of any government cutbacks personally affecting me.

But I do wonder - what revenues does the city have? What does it collect in "taxes" and fees? All the speeding tickets can't be enough to pay for the lavish subsidies the local receive and keep the roads free of sand and the landscaping watered?

If cuts are made to the metro, what other cuts are being implemented?

Originally Posted by The Dean
I wasn't questioning the reason - I was however implying that this is a very poor, and very public, way of saying 'we're still in trouble'.............
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

So what is the occupancy like for the Metro? Is it full or near full at peak times? Do the locals use it in significant numbers?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
So what is the occupancy like for the Metro? Is it full or near full at peak times? Do the locals use it in significant numbers?
Always full in lambs-to-the-slaughterhouse class; usually seats available in Gold......
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:34 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I can't say about peak time - I've only travelled then once and it was standing room only, but I use it at random points during the day and I'd say 50-80% of the seats are generally filled.

Such a shame though... it's a really lovely system, but yes, the fares are so small it can't be viable - it costs me 2.30 to get from JLT to MotE one way. I've also noticed that they don't/ can't A/C the entrances - it's like an oven at lunchtime on a sunny day, even now!

Not sure if I like the cuts in maintenance programmes either...
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Serco have the contract to run , operate and maintain the Dubai Metro over a set contract period.
I have heard that Serco are at odds with the R.T.A on future openings and proposed cutbacks of services and most importantly how to implement them.
Serco is a British firm that runs and operates service transport systems all over the world , basically an outsourcing alternative.

I travelled on the Metro 2 weeks ago and without doubt it's a well managed transport system but the first thing that hits you is it's too well managed , the amount of staff working stations is phenomenal for a public transport system and unsustainable in the current climate.

If you look at the original masterplan of this project with the other proposed lines it bears no comparison to what you have today.
The cost of this project was overbudget by around 3 billion dollars i think . It's basically a money issue , the R.T.A do not have any or what they do have they have to spread evenly or on a priority basis.

Its a shame as i think it really is one of Dubai's plus points apart from costing 3 times too much and not one station opening on time but hey you can't have everything...!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Serco have the contract to run , operate and maintain the Dubai Metro over a set contract period.
assuming they are being paid...!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
Always full in lambs-to-the-slaughterhouse class; usually seats available in Gold......
you travel gold?

I must admit, I quite like travelling on it - even in the packed end it's ok - nothing like the tube.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
assuming they are being paid...!
That's quite a real possibility , it will be the usual scenario of ' we don't need them anymore ' we can do it ourselves and they can take a 60% haircut on the contract price.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:47 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled on the Metro 2 weeks ago and without doubt it's a well managed transport system but the first thing that hits you is it's too well managed , the amount of staff working stations is phenomenal for a public transport system and unsustainable in the current climate.
The number of staff is insane...however I've seen it when it's busy and the crowds of people from the Sub-Continent pushing and shoving everyone in sight to get through the gates is enough to warrant proper security/policing - not the sort of image Dubai needs to project really.

I been on it a few times and some of the stations are fantastic (like MoE). It's a shame they didn't focus on a passenger and cargo rail line to Abu Dhabi first to offset traffic between the emirates which is getting worse, rather than lots of stations close to each other in a city that can't afford it.

N.