Dubai job offer - no housing etc please advise, Thanks

Dubai job offer - no housing etc please advise, Thanks

Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:21 pm
RHD
Just Joined

RHD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai job offer - no housing etc please advise, Thanks

Hi,

I have a job offer in Dubai and I'd really like some advice.
We are in the early stages of negotiating.

The pay looks to be about UK £40K a year but when I asked about Housing allowance, car allowance (need a car as have to supervise subcontractors and buy stuff etc) and relocation expenses I just got a "No".

When I explained I'd heard you had to pay your whole rent for the year up front and for a 1 bed flat that was likely to be UK £24K, I was told that wasn't so, you could pay three months at a time. (You still have to FIND three months rent upfront though)

The UK recruiter is telling me she's placed five people in Dubai and they didn't get any housing allowances or anything, just the basic pay, but I'm not convinced.

I'm single, in my 40's and somewhat daunted by all the visa, health check, driving licence and the rest of the red tape plus the apparently dire housing situation a move to Dubai would entail. I thought London was bad.

Can anyone advise on what a standard package might be.
A reasonable housing allowance, car allowance etc.

Thanks very much.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:31 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai job offer - no housing etc please advise, Thanks

Originally Posted by RHD
Hi,

The pay looks to be about UK £40K a year but when I asked about Housing allowance, car allowance (need a car as have to supervise subcontractors and buy stuff etc) and relocation expenses I just got a "No".

When I explained I'd heard you had to pay your whole rent for the year up front and for a 1 bed flat that was likely to be UK £24K, I was told that wasn't so, you could pay three months at a time. (You still have to FIND three months rent upfront though)

The UK recruiter is telling me she's placed five people in Dubai and they didn't get any housing allowances or anything, just the basic pay, but I'm not convinced.

I'm single, in my 40's and somewhat daunted by all the visa, health check, driving licence and the rest of the red tape plus the apparently dire housing situation a move to Dubai would entail. I thought London was bad.

Thanks very much.
Again, it's all relative. Housing; you need to figure +/-100'000 AED per annum minimum. Car will cost you but are cheaper than the UK. However, financing is becoming a serious issue. 40K GBP is really not much but it depends what you are earning in the UK and what your ops are there.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Will you get paid in sterling, if so £40k isn't much these days.

The exchange rate has been battered so you need to check what the dirham rate is if they pay you in that.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:45 pm
RHD
Just Joined

Didn't even think to ask about Sterling.

Valid point.

My industry in the UK has been hit by the reccession but I don't see how I can get anywhere to live in Dubai without taking out a huge loan and then working my bum off to repay it. Hoping I don't get fired or the company go bust before I do so. (It's been going ten months)

Plus if I want to take out a huge loan I can stay here and do nothing for a year before I run into trouble without having to run the gauntlet of a Dubai debtors jail.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

r but thats how it works in dubai, yes most companies now will only you give you a lump sum, but in abu dhabi you have to pay your rent up front for the whole year, very rare if you are allowed to pay in more than 1 cheque, better chance of that happening in dubai, always has done, but in 3 months no, some ll will accept 4 cheques but the majority i hear about is 2 or perhaps 3. i dont really think its a good time to be moving over here to a new job in the construction industry, if you have a job in the uk i would stick with it as you dont have all the added 'complications' that come with the uae remember that dubai is not paved with gold.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:59 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RHD
Hi,

Thanks very much.

if this position is construction related, forget it.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:35 am
RHD
Just Joined

It's not in the construction Industry. It's in Events.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RHD
It's not in the construction Industry. It's in Events.
Salaries are never good in the Event Industry. It isn't with ITP is it?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:23 pm
W10

If it was with ITP it wouldn't be Dh20,000 plus a month

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
If it was with ITP it wouldn't be Dh20,000 plus a month
valid point
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RHD
Hi,

Thanks very much.
I would advise against taking the job at £40K P/A. Rent will set you back at least £25K to £30K P/A for a small place, then you have other expenses.

Dubai is not a cheap place anymore. I am leaving next week back to the UK. Job in UK (even after paying 40% tax I am still better off in UK now).

In Dubai and Abu Dhabi, you pay 2 times more on rent than what you would pay in Tax in the UK.

In my opinion, Dubai has had its heyday and now it is in steep decline.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:20 pm
RHD
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
I would advise against taking the job at £40K P/A. Rent will set you back at least £25K to £30K P/A for a small place, then you have other expenses.

Dubai is not a cheap place anymore. I am leaving next week back to the UK. Job in UK (even after paying 40% tax I am still better off in UK now).

In Dubai and Abu Dhabi, you pay 2 times more on rent than what you would pay in Tax in the UK.

In my opinion, Dubai has had its heyday and now it is in steep decline.
I've found some little new studios and 1 beds at around £17 K advertised. I'm waiting for someone to get back to me to find out more. I don't know where they are exactly though. Google Earth isn't keeping up with Dubai
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by RHD
I've found some little new studios and 1 beds at around £17 K advertised. I'm waiting for someone to get back to me to find out more. I don't know where they are exactly though. Google Earth isn't keeping up with Dubai
it will be International City?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:57 pm
RHD
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it will be International City?
No. There's some in Warqaa, which look like really nice flats, but it's obviously in the middle of a building site. Probably out in the desert somewhere.

Is International City good?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by RHD
No. There's some in Warqaa, which look like really nice flats, but it's obviously in the middle of a building site. Probably out in the desert somewhere.

Is International City good?
it depends, it looks nice but apparently it is smelly. Where will your office be? I honestly do think your mad to spend half your salary on rent though? a studio in Warqaa? sounds odd to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.