Dubai Help!!!

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:43 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 21
Hornsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Help!!!

I'm should be going to Dubai for three months to DJ this summer.

The company is putting me up in the 5* hotel that the club is in and is paying for flights etc and I think food but alcohol I have to pay for (doh).

They are paying me 5200 AED a month, to work 4-5 hours a night 3 - 5 nights a week. I think this is low but is it?

Will that give me enough spending cash?

Other questions I have are:
Is there work I can do during the day that is easily available. I'm a recruitment consultant by trade, do they have them over in dubai and speaking in english?

Does everyone speak english?

And finally is radio work easy to get in dubai as over the uk I used to present a drivetime show on a small station or is it just as tough as the UK?

Please help I'm debating whether to quit my job in The city for this little adventure.

Thank you.
Hornsky is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2004, 4:34 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Nevi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 70
Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai Help!!!

Originally posted by Hornsky
I'm should be going to Dubai for three months to DJ this summer.

The company is putting me up in the 5* hotel that the club is in and is paying for flights etc and I think food but alcohol I have to pay for (doh).

They are paying me 5200 AED a month, to work 4-5 hours a night 3 - 5 nights a week. I think this is low but is it?

Will that give me enough spending cash?

Other questions I have are:
Is there work I can do during the day that is easily available. I'm a recruitment consultant by trade, do they have them over in dubai and speaking in english?

Does everyone speak english?

And finally is radio work easy to get in dubai as over the uk I used to present a drivetime show on a small station or is it just as tough as the UK?

Please help I'm debating whether to quit my job in The city for this little adventure.

Thank you.

Which club are you going to be at?
Everyone in Dubai does speak English, so there is no problem at all with regard to language.
I presume that you are coming to Dubai on your own (as in no family), in which case AED5200 a month should be fine - as that is going to be pure spending money. One of the most expensive things in Dubai is rent - so as you don't have to contend with that you should be fine. As long as you aren't planning on saving moeny while you are here for the 3 months you should have a good time.
There are recruitment consultants over here. Am not sure about how easy they are to get into. I would start enquiries before coming over here rather than waiting until you get out here. As for radio work, I have no idea - sorry.
Nevi is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:32 pm
  #3  
 
philipz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 147
philipz is on a distinguished road
Default

Well just as Nevi said, the package looks good as the Dhs. 5200 (approx. US$ 1,400) is spending money and that should be more than enough, but that all depends on how much you spend on yourself.

Well working during the day, dont think that you would find anything that will pay well according your current status, but I dont think they would mind if you worked at KFC or Pizza Hut . Recruitment consultant's that speak English, yes there are many of them and many of them are UK run. Everyone that you meet here will definately speak English, even though Arabic is the official country language.

Well there ain't any small radio stations here. There are a couple of English Radio stations and you could possibly speak to them when you get here. One of them has a website and its at http://www.channel4fm.com/.
philipz is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:33 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 21
Hornsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I should be playing at Oxygen. Whats it like?

I've got a problem though. The agency want me to go out at the end of February however I'm only 20 and I've been told you can't get a work permit until your 21? I've looked on the internet and can't find anything anywere that says you have to be over 21 to work, is it true?
Hornsky is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:18 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Nevi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 70
Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by Hornsky
I should be playing at Oxygen. Whats it like?

I've got a problem though. The agency want me to go out at the end of February however I'm only 20 and I've been told you can't get a work permit until your 21? I've looked on the internet and can't find anything anywere that says you have to be over 21 to work, is it true?
I checked the work permit thing with our HR department, and as far as I can tell the only age restriction is that you have to be over 15 to gain employment. So I can't see why there would be a problem with that. The advantage of coming out in late Feb would mean that you get to make the most of the weather before it really starts to heat up.
As far as Oxygen goes - have a look at: www.dubailook.com or www.mumtazz.com - that will give you some brief info on it. The place normally has a pretty good crowd.
Nevi is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:05 pm
  #6  
 
philipz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 147
philipz is on a distinguished road
Default

Well I started working at 18, so there isnt any age involved. The only thing that you neeed to be 21 for is to rent an apartment, purchase a telephone, etc.

Just like Nevi said, dubailook.com and mumtazz.com have good info about all the clubs in UAE.
philipz is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:00 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 21
Hornsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Thanks for your help.

It may have something to do with the Age limit on drinking though?

I know in the UK you can work in a club under the age of 18 but aren't allowed to sell or drink alcohol is it the same in dubai or is it that you can't enter a club under 21 regardless of whether you work there or not?

I've had a look on Mumtazz about Oxygen and looks ok, Danny Rampling has played there. woooo
I play house music and I've been told that people love Rn B out there and thats all the clubs play. Is this the case or are there House clubs also. Is Oxygen mainly a house music club?
I'm really worried I'll be stuck there playing music I don't like.

Last edited by Hornsky; Feb 16th 2004 at 7:18 pm.
Hornsky is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:10 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Nevi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 70
Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Don't worry - they play house music as well in most of the clubs. They definitely play house music in Oxygen, so I wouldn't worry on that score. The set up tends to be they have nominated nights, instead of having clubs that play purely house music/R'n'B etc
With regard to the specifics of working ages in clubs, I can't really help on that one, as I have no idea, sorry
Nevi is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:21 am
  #9  
 
philipz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 147
philipz is on a distinguished road
Default

Well Nevi, you seem to be up on the club info and I need someone with that kind of knowledge for a project I am doing, so do you think you could help. I am working on a music website for the UAE, and one of the sections is all about the clubs in the UAE.
philipz is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:33 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Nevi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 70
Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by philipz
Well Nevi, you seem to be up on the club info and I need someone with that kind of knowledge for a project I am doing, so do you think you could help. I am working on a music website for the UAE, and one of the sections is all about the clubs in the UAE.
I can't by any means claim to have encyclopedic knoweldge (as I've only been here for 6 months). Although some of my friends pride themselves on their knowledge of Dubai nightlife (and have been here far longer), so I should be able to ask around and find out about most clubs, if I haven't been there personally.
I'd be happy to help out as much as I can.
Nevi is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:11 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 21
Hornsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I'm curious about the nightlife over there, is it anything like the uk? I've heard its a lot quiter due to alcohol and drug laws etc?
Are there the same drug fueled clubs that are over here?

Last edited by Hornsky; Feb 18th 2004 at 8:16 pm.
Hornsky is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2004, 4:18 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Nevi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 70
Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by Hornsky
I'm curious about the nightlife over there, is it anything like the uk? I've heard its a lot quiter due to alcohol and drug laws etc?
Are there the same drug fueled clubs that are over here?
I guess it depends where you are comparing it to in the UK. Obviously there isn't the choice of clubs that there is in London. With regard to drug fueled clubs - that doesn't really happen over here, as far as I know. The alcohol laws are fine - as you can drink as much as you want in the bars/clubs. The clubs over here have a fair variety in terms of size and music. Most of the bars have live music in later on as well (although the bands vary greatly in standard, getting the crowd going etc). In a way it is slightly like a holiday location (which I guess it is for many people) - as they have loads of happy hours, drinks offers (especially for women) etc. Also, most bars stay open until around 2am - so there isn't the mass exodus from the bars to the clubs that there is in UK at about 11pm. Purely in terms of population there isn't the amount of young people here that there is in London/Manchester/Nottingham etc, so I guess in that way the nightlife is definitely quieter.
I'm just speaking from my experience - others may find it different....
Nevi is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2004, 4:25 am
  #13  
jat
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Scotland...
Posts: 304
jat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

hi

thanks for your help by the way...

probably stupid question coming up - what is the average age of expats living in dubai... does it seem to attract a particular age or is it generally just mixed?
jat is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:19 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Nevi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 70
Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by jat
hi

thanks for your help by the way...

probably stupid question coming up - what is the average age of expats living in dubai... does it seem to attract a particular age or is it generally just mixed?
I reckon the average age is around mid-30's. But then in some places you won't see anyone over 30, some other places you won't see anyone under 30.......pretty much the same as anywhere I guess in that respect. On the whole I think there is a fair mixture.
Nevi is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2004, 4:43 am
  #15  
Balushi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally posted by Hornsky

I've got a problem though. The agency want me to go out at the end of February however I'm only 20 and I've been told you can't get a work permit until your 21? I've looked on the internet and can't find anything anywere that says you have to be over 21 to work, is it true?

You are being Sponsored to play in a "Night Club" and to work or to enter a Night Club You have to be 21-22 or Above! - If you are hired below this age than the Club will be SHUT DOWN!!


It;s illegal to work for another sponsor.
 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.