British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Dubai Gone Mad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dubai-gone-mad-450232/)

expat.brat May 14th 2007 11:25 pm

Dubai Gone Mad

What do you think are the latest developments that are just ridiculous?

I think the plan to bulldoze a creek through Safa Park and Jumeirah 2 is crazy, and a huge waste of money. What do they plan to do with Sheikh Zayed Road?

Oh, and I'll say it for GarethR and W10: "all the Dubai developments are ridiculous". Wanted to save you two the typing effort ;)

Norm_uk May 15th 2007 7:10 am

Re: Dubai Gone Mad

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 4781321)
What do you think are the latest developments that are just ridiculous?

I think the plan to bulldoze a creek through Safa Park and Jumeirah 2 is crazy, and a huge waste of money. What do they plan to do with Sheikh Zayed Road?

Oh, and I'll say it for GarethR and W10: "all the Dubai developments are ridiculous". Wanted to save you two the typing effort ;)

It would be nice if they invested their money on better infrastructure, sustainable power supplies and perhaps more greenery instead of more stagnant pools of water to help put the UAE back in the world malaria hotspots.

Norm.

MJC May 15th 2007 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 4782402)
It would be nice if they invested their money on better infrastructure, sustainable power supplies and perhaps more greenery instead of more stagnant pools of water to help put the UAE back in the world malaria hotspots.

Norm.

I thought the idea of the creek extension was to do just that, free flowing water with bloody great pumps built in to make it fresh?

twinkle-star May 15th 2007 9:09 am

Why don't they just flood SZ rd and everyone can go to work by boat!
How fun would that be! :D

Eeyore May 15th 2007 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 4782402)
It would be nice if they invested their money on better infrastructure, sustainable power supplies and perhaps more greenery

Surely they need *less* greenery. The environmental cost of maintaining what they've already put in is colossal, and one of the reasons why the UAE is one of the most polluting nations in the world by population size.

Meow May 15th 2007 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 4783188)
Surely they need *less* greenery. The environmental cost of maintaining what they've already put in is colossal, and one of the reasons why the UAE is one of the most polluting nations in the world by population size.

Good point.

Or if there must be 'greenery' at least make it nice. Those garish flowerbeds in Garhoud are VILE. It's very Dubai twinned with Bournemouth.

Blue Cat May 15th 2007 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 4783383)
Good point.

Or if there must be 'greenery' at least make it nice. Those garish flowerbeds in Garhoud are VILE. It's very Dubai twinned with Bournemouth.

I like them!!! :eek:

Autonomy May 15th 2007 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4784149)
I like them!!! :eek:

why does that not surprise me :)

Jammy_Dodgers May 15th 2007 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 4783383)
Good point.

Hey im from Bournemouth!!

Blue Cat May 15th 2007 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 4784247)
why does that not surprise me :)

mmm! :lol:

xSuperstarx May 15th 2007 4:59 pm

Lmao, this thread is hilarious. lol. Fun compared to all the ones i've been in before.
Why i'm here I should ask if anyone can help me with buying property in Dubai?
I'm looking for either a villa in The Springs/Arabian Ranches or an apartment in Dubai Marina.
Any thoughts?
Email me on [email protected]

Confucius May 15th 2007 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by xSuperstarx (Post 4784758)
Lmao, this thread is hilarious. lol. Fun compared to all the ones i've been in before.
Why i'm here I should ask if anyone can help me with buying property in Dubai?
I'm looking for either a villa in The Springs/Arabian Ranches or an apartment in Dubai Marina.
Any thoughts?
Email me on [email protected]

First,give us your money...Then we'll sit,and I'll buy you a latte...

Eeyore May 15th 2007 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by xSuperstarx (Post 4784758)
Any thoughts?

How big a deposit can you put down?

W10 May 16th 2007 7:27 am

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 4783188)

I think I've said it before.

We know we live in a desert, stop pretending we don't and you'll cut running costs in Dubai by 30% at least, not to mention causing far less pollution.

Meow May 16th 2007 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4784298)
Hey im from Bournemouth!!

And you escaped. Well done!

I could have said Eastbourne or any town with fancy municipal flowerbeds. It's just that the bright pink that is there currently is just shocking. Even if it wasn't sunny you'd need shades to look at them.

I agree with W10's comments about living in a desert. Palm trees are fine, but the municipality is planting things like petunias that need a lot of water. I think the painted horses/camels/eagles are plenty decorative.