Reload this Page >

Dubai Flat Sharing - Legality / Residence Permits etc

Dubai Flat Sharing - Legality / Residence Permits etc

Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Pieces_Of is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Flat Sharing - Legality / Residence Permits etc

Hello all,

First post here. My company is setting up an office in DXB (in DIFC) and I'm going to be moving there to work from London (I'm a Bitish citizen). First off, apols if this is a question that's been asked loads before - I assume it has been but I couldn't turn anything up with a search. This forum has been a great resource in finding things out, so thanks y'all.

In order to both save money and settle in quicker I want to share an apartment with an (also male) mate I have out there. It's two bedrooms, he already lives in it and was looking to rent the room out anyway and the landlord is apparently very happy for him to do so.

I've not quite got my head aroud the legalities of it all but it looks like everyone does it.

My question is, if I end up with an informal arrangement where I pay him and his name remains the only one on the lease, is this going to be a problem with all the red tape and getting registered, getting a health card, residence / working visa, any other permits etc etc. I'm not bothered about the DEWA connection, internet, telephone etc as he has these alreay set up. My main concerns are the visas and offical permits. Bascially do I need to have a legit address with my name on a tenancy agreement to be legal? I can't risk getting kicked out of the country.

In decreasing order of importance other things I think might also be a concern in this respect are getting a driving licence (I am hoping to pass my test before going out there but can't count on it), booze licence etc. I think HSBC are sorting me out with a bank account already.

If the answer is that I really need my name on a lease, does anyone know if the landlord can just change the lease to name us both as joint tenants, or is that legally dodgy?

Thanks a lot in advance and if this has been covered before and someone can work out how to find the thread it'd be much appreciated.

Ta
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Flat Sharing - Legality / Residence Permits etc

In Dubai there are almost no street adresses as you know coming from the UK, in most cases we use the companies address/PO Box on all documents. You sharing with your mate should not make the slightest difference to the regular authorities with whom you will be providing your address/PO Box to.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:54 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pieces_Of
Hello all,

First post here. My company is setting up an office in DXB (in DIFC) and I'm going to be moving there to work from London (I'm a Bitish citizen). First off, apols if this is a question that's been asked loads before - I assume it has been but I couldn't turn anything up with a search. This forum has been a great resource in finding things out, so thanks y'all.

In order to both save money and settle in quicker I want to share an apartment with an (also male) mate I have out there. It's two bedrooms, he already lives in it and was looking to rent the room out anyway and the landlord is apparently very happy for him to do so.

I've not quite got my head aroud the legalities of it all but it looks like everyone does it.

My question is, if I end up with an informal arrangement where I pay him and his name remains the only one on the lease, is this going to be a problem with all the red tape and getting registered, getting a health card, residence / working visa, any other permits etc etc. I'm not bothered about the DEWA connection, internet, telephone etc as he has these alreay set up. My main concerns are the visas and offical permits. Bascially do I need to have a legit address with my name on a tenancy agreement to be legal? I can't risk getting kicked out of the country.

In decreasing order of importance other things I think might also be a concern in this respect are getting a driving licence (I am hoping to pass my test before going out there but can't count on it), booze licence etc. I think HSBC are sorting me out with a bank account already.
If the answer is that I really need my name on a lease, does anyone know if the landlord can just change the lease to name us both as joint tenants, or is that legally dodgy?

Thanks a lot in advance and if this has been covered before and someone can work out how to find the thread it'd be much appreciated.

Ta
Not without a residence visa they aint.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to alljrudofsky is a name known to all

They can set up a savings account so there is an account waiting and then you add a current account with your residency visa....at least they did for me.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Pieces_Of is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jrudofsky
They can set up a savings account so there is an account waiting and then you add a current account with your residency visa....at least they did for me.
Yup that's what they are doing for me, or at least saying they are. Apparently I get an ATM card but not a credit card until I get my Visa

Thanks for the advice all....hopefully the lack of other posts means that people haven't had any contray experiences. 7 weeks to go and looking forward to it.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:43 pm