Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai during Ramadan

Dubai during Ramadan

Old Jan 11th 2016, 4:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Dubai during Ramadan

OH and I are just planning a trip from NZ to the UK for June this year. We thought we would like to have a stopover in Dubai on the way home and then I remembered that it could be Ramadan at that time, is it? Just wondering what the impact of Ramadan is on tourists if any.

TIA
Old Jan 11th 2016, 5:11 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai during Ramadan

Ramadan is expected to begin around 6th/7th June in 2016. The rules are quite simple: no eating, drinking, smoking, chewing of gum (pretty much 'nil by mouth') in public between dawn and sunset. Some food outlets in malls may be licenced to serve food and drink during the day, the same goes for hotels. These premises will serve food and drink behind screens or curtains. Some tourist hotels may be licenced to serve drinks and food around their pools. Whether or not these licences are forthcoming or not will not be known until much closer to the time.

Alcohol will only be served in bars and restaurants after sunset (normally around 8pm) and there will be no live music. Any music that there is will be low key and definitely 'background'.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If last year is anything to go by, the big malls will have food courts that are open but closed off from public viewing. Some standalone restaurants will be open but screened off.

The popular tourist hotels will usually have food/drinks/smoking in the pool/beach areas, particularly the resort hotels.

The two most immediate impacts of Ramadan on tourists will be that all food outlets in the old parts of town around the Gold Souk and Dubai Museum will be closed till sunset, and absolutely no drinking water in public anywhere despite that it will be very hot outside.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Places like Costa Coffee will also be open, again behind screens and the one at the airport full of Saudis. Hotel prices drop so you can pick up a 5-star for a lot less than normal. After dark the place comes alive a lot more as folk head out to break the fast, meet family/friends and shop etc - many switch to a nocturnal existence in fact, which is within the rules if not necessarily the spirit of the season. Alcohol you can still get by day in some places (try room service if all else fails - works in the Rotana at least), but it's worth bringing some in duty free anyway if you'll be after a tipple as the prices here are steep. As a tourist on a stopover it's still worth the effort I'd say. As big or bigger a factor as Ramadan in June however will be the heat, as DXBtoDOH mentions above, as it will be plenty warm by then.

Last edited by Standanista; Jan 11th 2016 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that it's Ramadan has put me off coming then slightly but the alternative is going via Singapore (which I'm happy with but OH is less so, he wants beach!).

We did a lot of the tourist stuff back in 2003 when we visited for 10 nights (museum, souks etc.), so this will be more of an R&R trip. I would like to do a spot of dune bashing again but only if I can have water in the mini bus to drink out of sight. But if that's not allowed then that would be a huge problem for us.

We realise that it's going to be extremely hot and humid but we can't change the time of our trip unfortunately.

Really appreciate all the information you've provided me with. Thank you.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Cor blimey, lady! You were last in Dubai in 2003?

Wow. Be prepared to see a very different city.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
The fact that it's Ramadan has put me off coming then slightly but the alternative is going via Singapore (which I'm happy with but OH is less so, he wants beach!).

We did a lot of the tourist stuff back in 2003 when we visited for 10 nights (museum, souks etc.), so this will be more of an R&R trip. I would like to do a spot of dune bashing again but only if I can have water in the mini bus to drink out of sight. But if that's not allowed then that would be a huge problem for us.

We realise that it's going to be extremely hot and humid but we can't change the time of our trip unfortunately.

Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Cor blimey, lady! You were last in Dubai in 2003?

Wow. Be prepared to see a very different city.
Yep, fully expecting the changes. They were building the Madinat when we were there and also The Palm I think. We had a great time but knew with the amount of investment that was being put in to Dubai that it would never be the same again. Felt slightly sad about that but that's progress.

It will be interesting to see the changes ourselves rather than just what we've seen on TV.

Thanks for referring to me as a lady, that's sweet , OH would tell you otherwise .
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:10 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of beach resorts at Sentosa in Singapore. Lovely breeze as well. And you can get beer on the beach. And it won't be 45-50c.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Plenty of beach resorts at Sentosa in Singapore. Lovely breeze as well. And you can get beer on the beach. And it won't be 45-50c.
I like that idea better; it's too hot for me on the beach in June in Dubai, anyway. Another good option from Singapore is to take the ferry (about 45 minutes trip) to Bintan or Batam in Indonesia, where there are more resorts plus quieter beaches away from the main tourist areas.

Much of Indonesia is Muslim but a very different brand from Dubai - you're not barred from eating and drinking during Ramadan daylight hours there and beer is cheap.

Last edited by Standanista; Jan 12th 2016 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
We stayed on Sentosa in 2009 and can't say that we were impressed with the beaches. As I say, I'm happy to go through Singapore and I love flying with Singapore Airlines but OH is bored of going via there.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

It's worth it coming back to Dubai once for the layover. Comparing this place to when you last saw it in 2003 will be mind-blowing and a neat experience.

Hope you'll give us an update too

We stayed on Sentosa in 2009 and can't say that we were impressed with the beaches. As I say, I'm happy to go through Singapore and I love flying with Singapore Airlines but OH is bored of going via there.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It's worth it coming back to Dubai once for the layover. Comparing this place to when you last saw it in 2003 will be mind-blowing and a neat experience.

Hope you'll give us an update too
Quite looking forward to it now. Flights booked and initially flying to Zurich and heading to Grindelwald. On OH's bucket list to see the Eiger. Spend a few days there then next stop France and a visit to Reims and Epernay (my bucket list!), head to south of Spain to spend time with a friend in Chiclana. Then off to Blighty to sort my elderly parentals out which will be hard work. Manchester to Dubai and a few days of R&R before heading home.

Think I may have to go on the game to afford that lot!!!!

We are all set for big changes in Dubai, so it will be like visiting for the first time I imagine. I shall certainly give you an update.

The advice I've been given has been very helpful. Thanks to all.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 8:56 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget there's also the Jungfrau and the Monch mountains. There's a train which travels literally through the mountains:

https://www.raileurope.com/activitie...ntry_origin=OM

Enjoy!
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hnd
Don't forget there's also the Jungfrau and the Monch mountains. There's a train which travels literally through the mountains:

https://www.raileurope.com/activitie...ntry_origin=OM

Enjoy!
Thanks for that. My brother has been many times and has given me loads of advice, even down to the best pubs to visit