Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai College Safety Alert

Dubai College Safety Alert

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai College Safety Alert

Please alert your children. Just received this message from Dubai College:

Dear Parents,

Yesterday afternoon one of our Year 7 girls was walking home after alighting from the school bus in Umm Suqeim and a passing car slowed down and offered her a lift. She had the presence of mind to refuse.

We are certain that you regularly reinforce the need to be aware of such approaches and this message is simply to remind you that we all need to be constantly alert.

...signed
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Safety Alert

Could the moderator please help me with changing the title to read "Dubai College Safety Alert" ....thanks.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

this is a difficult one when you're got younger kids...keeping a balance between warning them, and scaring them shitless. My 5 year old is already obsessed by maddie and the bad guys who took her...

but thanks, indie, a timely reminder to us all i guess...

MM, xx
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

School girls, their mothers and/or nannies being followed by slow-moving cars usually driven by guys wearing Arab clothing has been going on for months in the Garhoud area (where there are many schools) so nothing new...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Dubai College Safety Alert

Which is why my hubby accompanies my daughter to the bus stop at 6:40 am and waits until her bus picks her up at 6:45.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Another one:

We just received another one from my daughter's school today:

Dear Parents,

Recently one of our Year 11 girls was walking home after alighting from the school bus in Umm Suqeim and a car, which we understand had been observing children leaving the bus, slowed down and a man inside the car offered to 'be her friend'. Fortunately the girl had the presence of mind to get home as quickly as possible. The car was a white BMW with heavily tinted windows, unfortunately the registration number was not recorded. You may remember I alerted you to a similar incident that took place last term in Umm Suqeim.

I do not wish to alarm any of you but I think that all parents would wish to know of this even if the school bus service is not used. Forewarned is forearmed!

I am sure you constantly remind your children of what to do in these circumstances. They should be aware that they could be approached and they should be vigilant and know what to do if it happens, an added very important bonus would be to take the registration number of the vehicle. I intend instructing all bus drivers to watch for such approaches when children leave the buses and to offer support in any way that they can. But an approach may well be made after the bus has moved on.

If an approach is made please let me know as soon as possible and please be aware that boys as well as girls could be at risk.

With best regards,