Driving to Oman

Old Oct 30th 2005, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

reaper27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving to Oman

Hey Gent/Ladies,

I will be driving to Oman for Eid. I own the car outright, but my insurance company won't cover me in Oman. Is it true I can buy insurance at the border? Also what documents do I need. All I have is that little plastic card with all the car information on it? Any help please.

Regards,

William
Old Oct 30th 2005, 7:20 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to Oman

According to Expatmums, the phone number of the border crossing is 04 852 1718 - so you could try calling and asking.

When we visited Khasab last weekend, the border guards didn't ask for any proof that we had Omani insurance... maybe they just assume that Westerners in a newish car will have it...
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:33 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zannie
According to Expatmums, the phone number of the border crossing is 04 852 1718 - so you could try calling and asking.

When we visited Khasab last weekend, the border guards didn't ask for any proof that we had Omani insurance... maybe they just assume that Westerners in a newish car will have it...

That can only be the contact no. for uae border guards office.

The UAE borders are manned by Royal Oman Army and thus their contact starts with "00968"

Khasab is on the other side of the Omani territory, the visa's and Issurance to this area are a bit relaxed.

But To cross into the "Hud'oud" main Borders entering towards muscat than you should better have the Omani insurance even if the Guards donot ask you for it! be safe than sorry.There are Insurance offices just near the border just carry some cash around 500/- aed and you will have yourself the insurance! no documents required except your "Milkiya" (registeration card)

I crossed into the omani borders but they didn't asked me for Insurance or anything.

My girlfriend An Westerner or European had to go through a nightmare to arrange all that.

ps. she drives a Merc top of the line.

So Zannie, expatmum site is all misinformattion.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:51 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
My girlfriend An Westerner or European had to go through a nightmare to arrange all that.

ps. she drives a Merc top of the line.
Now Casa - are you sure this girlfriend really existed? you didn't just have an imaginary girlfriend?

I might be wrong, but from reading your posts I thought you were unlucky in the love department and the last girl you approached pretended she had SARS to avoid your clutches.... yet now you have one with a top of the range merc?

Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:55 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I might be wrong, but from reading your posts I thought you were unlucky in the love department and the last girl you approached pretended she had SARS to avoid your clutches.... yet now you have one with a top of the range merc?

If Michael Douglas can have Zeta jones! than anything is possible.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

barsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by reaper27
Hey Gent/Ladies,

I will be driving to Oman for Eid. I own the car outright, but my insurance company won't cover me in Oman. Is it true I can buy insurance at the border? Also what documents do I need. All I have is that little plastic card with all the car information on it? Any help please.

Regards,

William
one very important point from CN is carry cash! there are no atm's at the border and they don't accept any cards - only cash. diving in oman is absolutely beautiful - enjoy!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:02 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barsha barbie
one very important point from CN is carry cash! there are no atm's at the border and they don't accept any cards - only cash. diving in oman is absolutely beautiful - enjoy!
Having done it loads of times, you can definitely get insurance at the border but the booth is only open certain times- I don't know what they are though. I would seriously reconsider your insurance policy if it wont offer you Oman coverage.

Many years ago friends of ours were camping in Hatta when a flash flood came through the wadi. Fortunately said friends were camping quite high up but their car was too low and was dragged away by the water. Once the water had subsided they went looking for the car and discovered it about 2k inside the Omani border. Reply from insurance company? No payout as the car had no Oman insurance and the car was found there. Imagine that happpening to your Range Rover- could you afford to give it away?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Many years ago friends of ours were camping in Hatta when a flash flood came through the wadi. Fortunately said friends were camping quite high up but their car was too low and was dragged away by the water. Once the water had subsided they went looking for the car and discovered it about 2k inside the Omani border. Reply from insurance company? No payout as the car had no Oman insurance and the car was found there. Imagine that happpening to your Range Rover- could you afford to give it away?
My god that is utter boll.ocks!!!! I would have been soooo wild if that happened to me.
What happens if you park at diera city center and your car gets stolen and is found burnt out in Oman?

Sh.itty ****ing policies UAE has.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by reaper27
Hey Gent/Ladies,

Regards,

William

I have heard you can buy insurance at the border but can't fully confirm it. You say that your ins co won't cover you which is pretty standard but have you asked if you can buy ins to cover you?
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I drove across to Muscat a couple of weeks ago (takes forever, I'll fly next time!) and the Omani border police wanted to see my insurance to prove I had cover for Oman. Fortunately Norwich Union provide this automatically. The driving in Oman is just as insane as in Dubai (although with fewer cars)- you would be insane to drive there without insurance. Expatwoman with duff information- surely not
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kelvynd
My god that is utter boll.ocks!!!! I would have been soooo wild if that happened to me.
What happens if you park at diera city center and your car gets stolen and is found burnt out in Oman?

Sh.itty ****ing policies UAE has.

In this case, as anywhere in the world you shall lodge a police complaint and report the Car missing.

If your car is found damaged in Japan than the Insurance policy will cover that after the Police Certificate that you will receive for your car being confirmed stolen.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

we drove to Muscat last weekend, we bought 3rd party insurance (forgot to take my policy) it was good for 10 days for 110 aed, the office was even open on a friday afternoon, one company is right next to where you get your visa, Omani visas cost 30 aed for UAE residents, 60 aed for visitors, valid for 1 month.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really niceSid2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vimto
we drove to Muscat last weekend, we bought 3rd party insurance (forgot to take my policy) it was good for 10 days for 110 aed, the office was even open on a friday afternoon, one company is right next to where you get your visa, Omani visas cost 30 aed for UAE residents, 60 aed for visitors, valid for 1 month.
Hi Vimto.

Is getting a visa at the border a long & tedious process, or is it fairly quick? Do they ask for any documentation, passport photos etc. other than the passport? Would it be better to get a visa from the consulate before departing, or get it at the border?

TIA.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sid2
Hi Vimto.

Is getting a visa at the border a long & tedious process, or is it fairly quick? Do they ask for any documentation, passport photos etc. other than the passport? Would it be better to get a visa from the consulate before departing, or get it at the border?

TIA.
All the documents that we were asked for was our passports, no photos required. They have the forms you need to fill in which is the standard stuff, date and place of birth, passport issue and expiry dates etc.
The time in the border post took no more than 10-15 mins. Much less time than getting one at an embassy when you include taking time off work, parking the car, going thru security etc.
They were pleasant people at the border too.