Driving license

Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

AlishaA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license

Hi hope someone can help... before I leave UK, is it best to apply for an International driving license- or would I have to get there and transfer my British license to the UAE one? Does anyone know how long the process takes? I want to do as much as I can before I get there- as I am planning to be there in 4 weeks and will need to start driving asap..

Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license

alisha, do a search, there was a fairly recent thread with loads of info on this...

MM, xx
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Getting an International Driving Licence before you arrive will not do any harm. I think you can get them from the AA.

I did not do this, however, but through my company was able to get a 6 month temporary Dubai licence on my second day here.

I only had a visitor visa in my passport, but upon production of my British licence, payment of some small (legitimate) fees and an eye sight test, I was photographed and given my shiny gold Dubai licence. All done at a place out towards Jebel Ali somewhere - I was new and it was quite foggy on that day!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Getting an International Driving Licence before you arrive will not do any harm. I think you can get them from the AA.

I did not do this, however, but through my company was able to get a 6 month temporary Dubai licence on my second day here.

I only had a visitor visa in my passport, but upon production of my British licence, payment of some small (legitimate) fees and an eye sight test, I was photographed and given my shiny gold Dubai licence. All done at a place out towards Jebel Ali somewhere - I was new and it was quite foggy on that day!
That's great help.. thank you. Yes I can speak to my company to arrange these things.. Yes I was thinking International License before I leave would be a good idea..

Do you know if I can buy a car on a temporary driving license..?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlishaA
Do you know if I can buy a car on a temporary driving license..?
no you can't, you need a residency visa and full licence...

MM, xx
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

international drivers license doesnt make a bit of difference (again no harm to have one i suppose)

You can rent a car on a visitors visa with your UK but when you become a resident you must have a UAE license.....

Never heard of the 6 month temporary license? sounds a good option

As your british, you are obviously a good driver so you dont need to take tests like other nationalities....(i can never work that out)
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

You can drive a private or hire car on the temporary licence. You transfer to a regular licence when your Residency Permit comes through - this is straightforward if you already have a temporary licence.

Also, with the British licence, you will need both the card plus the paper section as well.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
You can drive a private or hire car on the temporary licence. You transfer to a regular licence when your Residency Permit comes through - this is straightforward if you already have a temporary licence.

Also, with the British licence, you will need both the card plus the paper section as well.

Okay cool thanks! So my initial steps would be:

1. Apply for a temporary license- would you have a website?
2. Until I get my residence permit- I will be unable to buy a car?

Do you know how long a residence permit takes?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:39 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

just google Dubai temporary driving license...
and yes...you cannot buy a car before the residency...
residency depends on the paperwork and the employer...it can take days, it can take months...
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

would say just drive a hire car on your UK licence and then get your UAE licence when your residency comes through!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:53 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
would say just drive a hire car on your UK licence and then get your UAE licence when your residency comes through!
I understood that you needed an IDP to hire a car?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:02 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I understood that you needed an IDP to hire a car?
Officially, but I was never asked for mine. Better to be on the safe side though.

I think the only reason for the temporary licence is if you want to drive someone else's private car. At least my insurance only covers drivers with a valid UAE licence (whether temporary or not).
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:52 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

So, if you have a driving licence that is from a different country than your passport, but have an international licence, what are your options for hiring a car?

The reason I ask is that - apparently - the country of origin of your passport and driving licence need to be the same. And - again, apparently - you can't hire a car on an international licence beyond the duration of a 30 day Tourist Visa.

Please can someone explain, as I am really stuggling to understand.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:45 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

oh and how easy is it to learn to drive over here?

I don't have a licence back in the UK although can drive but how do you go about lessons? where do you drive? the city is bloody mental so anywhere quiet?

ta.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:51 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
oh and how easy is it to learn to drive over here?
I know a few people who've had to take driving lessons here, and the main problem seems to be the sheer number that you have to take before they'll let you apply for your test. Expect the whole process to take 3-4 months, but hopefully less.

The actual lessons and test probably aren't very difficult at all, given the appalling standard of driving out here. Indeed, I've heard several stories in which the driving test meant one examiner and three students in the car, and each student got to drive for about five minutes. Explains a lot, really...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.