Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Driving from Doha to UAE

Driving from Doha to UAE

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 4:38 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving from Doha to UAE

I am planning my move from Doha to Abu Dhabi and was thinking about driving our cars there rather than pay the quoted 5K per car transportation costs.

Anyone done this and know how easy the paperwork is to do this - especially as its one way? I assume it will be a huge pain in the backside but probably slightly better than trying to sell two cars in Doha at the moment!
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Driving from Doha to UAE

I'm sure people have done this on the bored, or know people who have. I think Saudi is the ballache but I think it's a cracking idea.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 2:47 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Doha to UAE

I would say it would be a major PITA getting your vehicles in and out of Saudi. Even if you could somehow get a visa to transit through Saudi with no job, which I've never heard of anyone doing(not saying it's impossible though), I would be prepared for cars being held at the border for days at both ends, bribes to be paid because of something or other etc.

Add the fact that that the drive itself is just going to be the same old desert, very boring with nothing of interest, I'd ask myself if it was worth it.

It may well end up costing more in the long run.

As an example, a friend of mine just had a total nightmare bringing his landrover into Saudi from UAE, and this is a guy with a very good job here.

He told me his story at a party the other month. It was in incredible the hoops he had to jump through.