Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Don't move to Dubai

Don't move to Dubai

Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:55 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't move to Dubai

Originally Posted by johnah9
Granted some people are in a fortunate position to get the gilded contracts - school fees - accommodation - all the bells and whistles. This proportion is a tiny percentile of the expat community. Those sort of contracts were previously achievable but there is no way on this Earth, in this financial climate, that those type of contracts are sustainable apart from for a small privileged few. The Dubai myth was built on these types of contracts - we live in totally different times and the information circulated out there has to reflect this. The majority of people are not looked after this molly coddled way - and it will be very long time before that happens again, if ever. I was reaching out to a entirely different demographic.
You call it molly-coddling, I call it looking after an asset. Now, it may be the case that you just aren't in the industries that offer these types of contract, or it may be the case that you simply aren't regarded as an important enough asset.

Either way, you still claim to have weighed all the pro's and con's of the move to Dubai and, now that the pack of cards are crashing down around you and your 'demographic', you are telling everyone to stay away, that its the banks and the employers fault.

Out of interest, how long have you been out here.. Not long, I imagine...
Old Apr 17th 2009, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in The Greens (arrived in Dubai on 22nd May 2009!).
FunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really niceFunnyFeline is just really nice

Granted some people are in a fortunate position to get the gilded contracts - school fees - accommodation - all the bells and whistles. This proportion is a tiny percentile of the expat community. Those sort of contracts were previously achievable but there is no way on this Earth, in this financial climate, that those type of contracts are sustainable apart from for a small privileged few. The Dubai myth was built on these types of contracts - we live in totally different times and the information circulated out there has to reflect this. The majority of people are not looked after this molly coddled way - and it will be very long time before that happens again, if ever. I was reaching out to a entirely different demographic.
I don't consider my OH's contract to be a molly coddled one! Yes, we are getting all the "bells & whistles" as you put it, but if he weren't, we wouldn't be moving. Full stop! He is being paid for his skills in his job and the enormity of the task ahead of him.

There are many businesses that do actually thrive during a recession and, of course, those that don't. We are lucky that the company he is working for seems to be thriving.

Before we finally made our decision to move, I spoke to a lot of people on different forums, and had extremely different views. Several people saying - don't come, its awful...but then they would post in another thread saying what a wonderful evening that had the other night, and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Yes, there is a myth about Dubai being the land of milk & honey...but, like anywhere, if you move there with your eyes open, you are at least prepared for the worst - if it should happen.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
You call it molly-coddling, I call it looking after an asset. Now, it may be the case that you just aren't in the industries that offer these types of contract, or it may be the case that you simply aren't regarded as an important enough asset.

Either way, you still claim to have weighed all the pro's and con's of the move to Dubai and, now that the pack of cards are crashing down around you and your 'demographic', you are telling everyone to stay away, that its the banks and the employers fault.

Out of interest, how long have you been out here.. Not long, I imagine...
i agree...it can all be summed up in two words...chip, shoulder...

MM, xx
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline
I don't consider my OH's contract to be a molly coddled one! Yes, we are getting all the "bells & whistles" as you put it, but if he weren't, we wouldn't be moving. Full stop! He is being paid for his skills in his job and the enormity of the task ahead of him.
that's hit the nail on the head, funnyfeline...

MM, xx
Old Apr 17th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

all i can say is i've done my research on these very forums as well over the last couple of years, and even though i've wanted to on many occasion, because of the advice and experiences people have posted on here, i'm still in the uk because it wasn't quite the right time.

Funnily enough as has happened in the uk my specific field is growing enormously because of the downturn in the economy and so now might actually be a good time for me to move.

even if i decide to i will be doing so carefully and anyone who's done their research especially on these boards would be doing so as well. not poo pooing your experience but there are two sides of the coin and although the dream went wrong for you i know plenty of people who are still having a good time out there, but agreed it's not everything dubai inc says it is, but then london's streets aren't paved with gold either.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting 'article' and interesting comments.

i gotta say some of you luv to brag on here even though it means jack sh*t in a forum like this

For the dude who's coming out here and seems to think he/she is on an amazing package time will tell once you get out here.

As a general obversation coming out here and not having anything to fall back on is pretty retarded to say the least.

The cookie can crumble anytime and for anyone...so best live it up while you can
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

As for JBR being compared to the projects?????????????????????

i think you may have blown that out of proportion slightly. granted, its not everyones cup of tea but FFS. And equally, im sure that downtown has its fair share of Russian/Chechen mafia etc.

And we all know that a lot of the crime in DXB isn't highlighted but i would still say that i feel a lot safer here than in the UK for example. maybe different for women? but for a guy, definitely

Last edited by StublueKPL; Apr 17th 2009 at 6:02 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
As for JBR being compared to the projects?????????????????????

i think you may have blown that out of proportion slightly. granted, its not everyones cup of tea but FFS.

And we all know that a lot of the crime in DXB isn't highlighted but i would still say that i feel a lot safer here than in the UK for example. maybe different for women? but for a guy, definitely

STU i couldnt agree with ya more
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:04 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Interesting 'article' and interesting comments.

i gotta say some of you luv to brag on here even though it means jack sh*t in a forum like this

For the dude who's coming out here and seems to think he/she is on an amazing package time will tell once you get out here.

As a general obversation coming out here and not having anything to fall back on is pretty retarded to say the least.

The cookie can crumble anytime and for anyone...so best live it up while you can
I wouldnt call it bragging.. Its a fact of life.. And if people dont know that these types of packages are available, they cant ask for them, can they... And I would also argue that this forum is the best place for that information to be made available....

Or is it another case of chip / shoulder....
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

I moved to Old Town, Downtown, so as to not be surrounded by people that could "just about" afford it

WTF - well im sorry that i am probably one of those people who could "just about afford it". I think its snooty nosed people like you who come to DXB with your rose tinted glasses and think its the land of milk and honey and then look down on the riff raff who dare to rent an apartment next to you.

And to make matters worse, you then bitch about everything thats wrong with the place just because it hasnt worked out for you. Im sorry that you havent found the necessary employment and everyone on here knows whats happening at the moment in Dubai. But, incidentally, there have been plenty people on here who have found jobs when the came out. (maybe thats the people who can just about afford to live beside you)

thank christ the rents coming down. Im sorry that we cant all afford 40kGBP per year.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:33 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Christ, first it was the apartment flippers,now we have to put up with the umeployed who didnt listen to us and are now blaming everyone else but themselves..
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Christ, first it was the apartment flippers,now we have to put up with the umeployed who didnt listen to us and are now blaming everyone else but themselves..
Correct.

i feel sorry for anyone who has lost their jobs in DXB. And if you couldn't gain employment whilst out here, well, sorry again, but dont think the whole world is against you and have this massive chip on your shoulder.

Also coming on here trying to portray that people on this board have all been looking at Dubai through rose tinted glasses is bull. You just have to read any post and you can see that most people on here give both sides of the argument.

What riled me more than anything is the "people who could just about afford it" statement. methinks that the guy should be looking in the mirror as he is just the same as the rest of us.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:45 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Correct.

i feel sorry for anyone who has lost their jobs in DXB. And if you couldn't gain employment whilst out here, well, sorry again, but dont think the whole world is against you and have this massive chip on your shoulder.

Also coming on here trying to portray that people on this board have all been looking at Dubai through rose tinted glasses is bull. You just have to read any post and you can see that most people on here give both sides of the argument.

What riled me more than anything is the "people who could just about afford it" statement. methinks that the guy should be looking in the mirror as he is just the same as the rest of us.
Well, lets be fair, he isnt...

He's a bitter unemployed Brit.. I amn't.....
Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wouldnt call it bragging.. Its a fact of life.. And if people dont know that these types of packages are available, they cant ask for them, can they... And I would also argue that this forum is the best place for that information to be made available....

Or is it another case of chip / shoulder....
KASE if ur referring to me regarding the chip/shoulder ur barking up the wrong tree matey i'm luving it out here....got a kushy job...earning good money...waking up to the sun, sea and sand...hell sometimes i even think life out here is better than an orgasm ok i kid, kid
Old Apr 17th 2009, 7:15 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Y'see, that's where you get it all wrong. Yes some people are in the fortunate position of getting gilded contracts - school fees - accommodation - all the bells and whistles. That is not a tiny percentile of the expats; that's the people who have, knowledge, skills and experience that make them invaluable to the developing markets, regardless of where that may be.

If it isn't the UAE, it's somewhere else where they need those skills. But they are not free. It may be the privileged few, but only a few have those skills, and they command the packages. Different times mean nothing, there is always a market for valuable assets. And that includes today.

What racks me off is unskilled, inexperienced, no-hopers coming out here trying to live the life. And then they complain that the life they hoped for doesn't materialize. Go serve your apprenticeship somewhere else and leave the tough markets for those with the nonce to handle it.

But please, go quietly and stop ****ing whinging!

Just spent 5 hours with 6 pre-teenage girls, so forgive me if I'm not in the most pleasant of moods. But tomorrow, we have a whole new day in Dubai.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.