Reload this Page >

Doha - Potential Mover

Doha - Potential Mover

Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

toil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha - Potential Mover

Hi,

I have 100 questions on Doha but one is really worrying. Myself and my girlfriend (yes we are not married) are both professionals and are keen to move to Doha from Ireland, for both the experience and of course the chance to make a bit of money.

Everything I have read paints a great picture of the place except for the issue of cohabiting.
I cant get a conclusive answer on this from other sites. Some are implying that though its illiegal, its commonplace and a non issue. Others are saying its illegal and shouldnt be flouted as consequences could be grave.

Now I dont want to break the law but some sites are giving me the impression that its not a law that is ever applied.

I would really appreciate a realistic response on this as I'm struggling with what to do.

Cheers in advance
Old Dec 7th 2010, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha - Potential Mover

Originally Posted by toil
Hi,

I have 100 questions on Doha but one is really worrying. Myself and my girlfriend (yes we are not married) are both professionals and are keen to move to Doha from Ireland, for both the experience and of course the chance to make a bit of money.

Everything I have read paints a great picture of the place except for the issue of cohabiting.
I cant get a conclusive answer on this from other sites. Some are implying that though its illiegal, its commonplace and a non issue. Others are saying its illegal and shouldnt be flouted as consequences could be grave.

Now I dont want to break the law but some sites are giving me the impression that its not a law that is ever applied.

I would really appreciate a realistic response on this as I'm struggling with what to do.

Cheers in advance
I got married for this exact reason. 3 years almost to the day.

just divorce her when you get back
Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

toil is an unknown quantity at this point

EmiratesMillhouse,

Would you say it was/is necessary to marry her or would you be fine cohabiting?
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toil
EmiratesMillhouse,

Would you say it was/is necessary to marry her or would you be fine cohabiting?
well, it's the law. Up to you if you want to break it in a foreign country - loads of people do though - although this is in Dubai & AD (which are more relaxed) - no idea about Doha.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

I recruit & relocate staff to Qatar.

Cohabitation - morality or legality is not really the point.

Each expatriate must be sponsored to remain in the country after the short term visitor visa expires. This means you need to be sponsored either by an employer or a spouse ( that is married ) .

So your girlfried cannot stay in Qatar without being sponsored by her employer ( that means find a job ) or by her husband.

Lots of couples live here together & provided they are not members of the prominent religion they are not interfered with.

Companies find it very difficult to get work visas for single female expat workers & so jobs are hard to find unless your girlfriend is a well qualified professional.

That's why people get married before comning here.

No real way around this.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Or you could ask/get your new employer to provide her with the paperwork, etc for a made-up job like "Admin Manager" or something to make it look like she was an employee (obviously wouldn't need to pay her a salary) - my company which shall remain nameless has done this for a few unmarried couples hired from the UK.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Under new requirements for "salary matching" all companies are required to submit their monthly payroll data - which is matched by the Labour Dept to the visas issued.
This will pick up any discrepancies of this kind.
It also picks up workers who haven't been paid which is excellent & the point of the exercise - but also there are others who will be caught up in the process.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Keoic
Under new requirements for "salary matching" all companies are required to submit their monthly payroll data - which is matched by the Labour Dept to the visas issued.
This will pick up any discrepancies of this kind.
It also picks up workers who haven't been paid which is excellent & the point of the exercise - but also there are others who will be caught up in the process.
good point.....forgot about that new rule....