Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha or not Doha that is the question...?

Doha or not Doha that is the question...?

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice
Default Doha or not Doha that is the question...?

Our family came to New Zealand 6months ago, cos we were fed up and wanted a wee adventure (we were living in Scotland).We had intended on staying here for longer however we hate it. We now have the oppertunity of jobs in Doha, and I was wanting peoples opinions on whether it would be a suitable choice for a family. Thanks in anticipation.........
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:57 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha or not Doha that is the question...?

Hi Alex

Welcome to the ME board!
I'm in Dubai, so can't answer your question, but I'm sure others can.
Would like to say, you can be happy or unhappy everywhere....
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:00 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

novita77 and malteser both live there, I'm sure they'll answer fully.

btw, according to my mate Shaun, Doha's currently closed for Ramadan, he's going mental, can't purchase grog anywhere, I think he's starting to brew his own from rotten spuds
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

Alex

there are quite a few Doha people on these boards so sure you will get lots of help

We moved here January of 2005 from Saudi, so to us it was paradise, lol. It isnt as strict as some other muslim countries. You can buy booze here with a liquor license and also in any bars/restaurants that are connected with hotels/clubs. There are lots of shops/malls. The schools on the whole are pretty good although for some there are large waiting lists. The social life is what you make it, there are places to go, i.e Rugby Club/Golf Club/Social Clubs/Bars, but a lot of people tend to make their own entertainment. Once the weather is cooler, you can go out into the desert 4x4ing, bbqs etc.

Doha is also undergoing massive change construction wise, lots of roads torn up and new buildings/malls going up. Its chaos to be honest, but when its all done it will be great Im sure. They are hosting the Asian Games here in December so there are rumours that once all the people involved with that have left, there will be more spaces in schools and the housing rents will have gone down. But to be honest I dont see that happening re: rents.

Its almost impossible here to find a house/villa for under 15,000 QR per month, so if you have received offers of jobs here, make sure that they are offering a hefty housing allowance. Try www.gulf-times.com classifieds to get a rough idea of housing costs.

If bringing pets, there are a few places that can help with that, if you need that, I can post you the info for that.

Hope that helps
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

LMAO MJC, you mean he didnt do an emergency dash to the booze barn before it shut????

Tell him I have an excellent recipe for beer ready in ten days if he needs it that badly!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Haggis is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't help the initial query thread, as going through similar process (UK - NZ - Doha?) - Qatar must be fashionable just now?? - and good to read the positive info being provided.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mellie66
Alex

there are quite a few Doha people on these boards so sure you will get lots of help

We moved here January of 2005 from Saudi, so to us it was paradise, lol. It isnt as strict as some other muslim countries. You can buy booze here with a liquor license and also in any bars/restaurants that are connected with hotels/clubs. There are lots of shops/malls. The schools on the whole are pretty good although for some there are large waiting lists. The social life is what you make it, there are places to go, i.e Rugby Club/Golf Club/Social Clubs/Bars, but a lot of people tend to make their own entertainment. Once the weather is cooler, you can go out into the desert 4x4ing, bbqs etc.

Doha is also undergoing massive change construction wise, lots of roads torn up and new buildings/malls going up. Its chaos to be honest, but when its all done it will be great Im sure. They are hosting the Asian Games here in December so there are rumours that once all the people involved with that have left, there will be more spaces in schools and the housing rents will have gone down. But to be honest I dont see that happening re: rents.

Its almost impossible here to find a house/villa for under 15,000 QR per month, so if you have received offers of jobs here, make sure that they are offering a hefty housing allowance. Try www.gulf-times.com classifieds to get a rough idea of housing costs.

If bringing pets, there are a few places that can help with that, if you need that, I can post you the info for that.

Hope that helps
Thanks for your quick response, we don't have animals unless you count the sheep!!
It does sound like paradise compared to here where our rental is like a shed and malls...I haven't been in a clothes shop for 6 months and I am suffering withdrawl symptoms.
I am not sure what the terms of my OH job, but I will check out the web site you mentioned.
Thanks again
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

From a personal point of view, the Qatari's are very friendly and welcoming. The expats also, we have made some great friends since being here, although the first few months can be a bit rough, the best advice is to get out there and meet people.

The driving leaves a LOT to be desired! :scared:

Cost of living, cant really judge that after 5 years as an expat, although the locally produced stuff seems cheap, you will probably pay over the odds for stuff from back home.

No Pork here tho!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:25 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mellie66
LMAO MJC, you mean he didnt do an emergency dash to the booze barn before it shut????

Tell him I have an excellent recipe for beer ready in ten days if he needs it that badly!
He did the emergency dash thing, stocked up by the trolly load.

It was all gone inside a week!

He's back here for the weekend, so no doubt he'll pick up a few bottles at Duty Free!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:35 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
He did the emergency dash thing, stocked up by the trolly load.

It was all gone inside a week!

He's back here for the weekend, so no doubt he'll pick up a few bottles at Duty Free!
Yeah but he wont be able to get it thru. We are not allowed to get any from Duty free unless going out of the country. In Ramadan even the hotels and restos r dry here MJC. The experienced ones like us have the stock in their storerooms...hehe and believe me Ramadan can last 6 mnths in my case...LOL.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:36 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex
Our family came to New Zealand 6months ago, cos we were fed up and wanted a wee adventure (we were living in Scotland).We had intended on staying here for longer however we hate it. We now have the oppertunity of jobs in Doha, and I was wanting peoples opinions on whether it would be a suitable choice for a family. Thanks in anticipation.........
Hi Alex ... I think Mellie mention nearly everything about living in Doha. We are here just over 5 yrs now, we were in Singapore for 2 yrs before here.

Yes ... no pork in Doha ... but thats not the end of the world.

My first 2 yrs in Doha a bit rough ... arrived here 7 mths pregnant ... nearly become a recluse after the delivery . Dont drive and hardly meet anybody.

Driving is a nightmare as Mellie said ... but i think it is now getting better, most roundabout being replace slowly with the traffic light.

Hubby loved it here ... he works for local oil company with shorter hours and 6 weeks paid annual leave. Now for Ramadhan even better he only work from 7am to 12noon.

For the wife there are plenty of social gathering around Qatar.

Anything else you wanted to ask just shout

PS: Pls make sure you sorted acommodation and school before you come here.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:40 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Malteser
Yeah but he wont be able to get it thru. We are not allowed to get any from Duty free unless going out of the country. In Ramadan even the hotels and restos r dry here MJC. The experienced ones like us have the stock in their storerooms...hehe and believe me Ramadan can last 6 mnths in my case...LOL.
I meant on his way back, as in buy from Dubai, drink in Doha - or can he not do that either, the poor guy's going to go blind - he needs to use his hand for something if he's not holding his Jack D!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:41 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Heya Alex

Welcome to the ME. There was a couple on here who moved to Doha from NZ and they were loving it here. Dunno where they r. Hopefully they will be on the board soon and can also help u wt yr questions.

Mellie pretty much answered all your questions. Qatar is a starting from scratch country and this has its ups and downs of course. Ppl are very friendly. Driving is getting crazier by the min. Traffic can be good and bad depending on the rush hours. Standard of living is also rising tho Im sure that its still cheaper than the UK(Europe). Stuff from Europe is more expensive. Loads of choice tho. Shopping malls are great and loads more are coming up. Social scene is great as long as u have a lot of friends and you will once settled down. We are a friendly bunch here. Shortage of pubs and clubs but they are working on that as well. Rumours r that there are gonna be soooo many in the next 2 years. They are investing in this place big time and soooooo many ppl are suddenly moving out here.

Anything else u need to know just give us a shout....
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:42 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
I meant on his way back, as in buy from Dubai, drink in Doha - or can he not do that either, the poor guy's going to go blind - he needs to use his hand for something if he's not holding his Jack D!!
r u sure he can do that? i dont think you allow to bring any alcohol to the country wherever you come from. But you allow to buy on the way out though Talking about monopoly
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:42 am
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by MJC
Nope absolutely no alcohol enters Qatar.......sorry for yr bud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.