Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha, first impressions

Wikiposts

Doha, first impressions

Old Jun 18th 2006, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doha, first impressions

From hubby's point of view of course, I aint there yet.
Hot! But bearable, not humid (yet) lol and yes, he agress the drivers are worse than Kiwis! lol Hell they must be bad.
Apartment, not too bad at all, all brand new furniture in, bought by company, 2 bed, 2 bathroom, kitchen, air con, balcony etc. Well impressed and at 4500QR per month, a bargain!
Food....EXCELLENT! The BEST curry he has ever tasted , even better than Manchester! Better than they are in Manchester???? lol
Hell, must be good.
The shops..EXCELLENT
The people...EXCELLENT
The job, the boss, the company...the best!
The salary..Brilliant! lol (4 times what we earned here) and tax free.
The cost of food..CHEAP!! (his curry was $4 NZD)
The work...all Uk construction using all Uk standards of measure etc. What he has missed this last 4 years.
Road network, very good.
Weather...brilliant, just to his liking.
Internet cafe 2 mins away from his apartment set up with Skype and web cam so we can chat and see each other.
So far, its the best decision he has made in his entire life (after marrying me fo course lol)
Will get Residency in about 4 weeks, as it stands I am looking to be out there on 21st july..I cant wait.
Anyone thinking about going to Middle east to work, do it. You will not regret it. I am so happy that he is happy and be even happier when I am out there!
Old Jun 18th 2006, 2:35 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha, first impressions

Originally Posted by Rascal
From hubby's point of view of course, I aint there yet.
Hot! But bearable, not humid (yet) lol and yes, he agress the drivers are worse than Kiwis! lol Hell they must be bad.
Apartment, not too bad at all, all brand new furniture in, bought by company, 2 bed, 2 bathroom, kitchen, air con, balcony etc. Well impressed and at 4500QR per month, a bargain!
Food....EXCELLENT! The BEST curry he has ever tasted , even better than Manchester! Better than they are in Manchester???? lol
Hell, must be good.
The shops..EXCELLENT
The people...EXCELLENT
The job, the boss, the company...the best!
The salary..Brilliant! lol (4 times what we earned here) and tax free.
The cost of food..CHEAP!! (his curry was $4 NZD)
The work...all Uk construction using all Uk standards of measure etc. What he has missed this last 4 years.
Road network, very good.
Weather...brilliant, just to his liking.
Internet cafe 2 mins away from his apartment set up with Skype and web cam so we can chat and see each other.
So far, its the best decision he has made in his entire life (after marrying me fo course lol)
Will get Residency in about 4 weeks, as it stands I am looking to be out there on 21st july..I cant wait.
Anyone thinking about going to Middle east to work, do it. You will not regret it. I am so happy that he is happy and be even happier when I am out there!

so your husband has been there for a few days, you have not ever been there, you have no idea what you deal with living in the middle east, and you are telling people that the middle east is the greatest place on earth? Talk to you in a year or two, if you make it that long.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh he has just arrived and is with a guy who has been ther 15 years and another who moved out there in 1984, and both still there surprisingly.
Dont forget we have just spent 4 awful years in NZ! Its bound to feel better!
But I can see you dont like it, but loads do, doesn't mean to say we all wont like it.
You never know, you could come to live in NZ and love it?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Plus he knows what a good curry is when he tastes one! lol
Old Jun 18th 2006, 3:31 pm
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Wayhay!!

Someone told me you were going to do it and you did! I'm really happy for you both Rascal. So much so I've re-registered just to be able to congratulate you (I disabled my old account in error and god knows what I've done with your email address ).

So, tell all then is the process of gaining residency in Doha any easier than getting PR in NZ? (nothing can be as bad as that was!!). And leaving NZ just as the cold weather really starts to bite - will think of you lazing by the pool in your sunnies as I'm trudging up the track in gumboots to fetch the post in the morning, lol! .

Tell M. that Toots wants, no - NEEDS -to know ALL about the shops - range, prices, do they accept all major credit cards etc.etc.....I need a 21st Century fix now and again. If they sell Lalique glassware and limited edition perfumes I'm coming over on the next plane. The Warehouse only sells so much you know

So what are your plans? tell all, are you thinking about staying long term, buying a small mansion, putting the kids through private English speaking schools and stuff? Sooooo exciting, I'm really happy for you.

I'm going to drop some hints to the DH when he comes home tonight after struggling up the North western in the cold driving rain.

D xx

Last edited by tootsie; Jun 18th 2006 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well hello Toots, long time no speak.
Well, plans are, he is staying for 1-2 years at first (we still have th OZ bug you see, just wont go away)
But his first impressions after leaving here, WOW!
He bought Fairy Liquid! lol (not that I care what brand I use)
But I AM interested in the curries.
He sat talking to me on the phone last night as he ate one and went on to tell me how delicious it was, cruel eh?
He said the shops are FAB! Like walking back into the real world once again and yes, he dropped hints about how nice and hot it was. That hurt especially as we are suffering those ICY cold blasts at the moment. Had to use the electric heater as we would have froze in our beds last night. Still, with four times the salary he earned here, I think we can afford a bit of heat now (at last)
Prices he has found so far, about a third of what we pay in NZ , but of course with much higher salary, it makes it feel VERY cheap for us now.
His Residency will go through in about 2-4 weeks, so simple compared to what we had hear although its different to here, need to find out much more yet on that score.
The boss has just arrived back in ME after spending 15 years there, went back due to his wifes illness, she later passed away and he has returned again as he missed the ME so much. The other boss (who employed him) has been in ME since 1984 and has no desire to go back to UK, ever!

Hey if we ever get that mansion with our own pool (either in ME or OZ) will give you an invite over!
Or maybe hop over to Doha to check it out for yourself, would your hubby go? I know you would, always up for a challenge eh?
Nice to hear from you and Thanks for your good wishes, will keep you posted.
PS Deleted my Incredimail and lost most folks e-mail addy's coz I forgot to copy over to Outlook
Old Jun 18th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

PS Forgot to ask, is your house built yet?

You can always sell and head off to ME for some sun, sea, and huge salaries.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 5:05 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
so your husband has been there for a few days, you have not ever been there, you have no idea what you deal with living in the middle east, and you are telling people that the middle east is the greatest place on earth? Talk to you in a year or two, if you make it that long.
A fine example of p***ing on someone elses fire.

Each to there own, but I would say the great majority of people here that I know enjoy the lifestyle and recognise (even if they won't admit it) that they have a far better standard of living than back in their own countries.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well just had next call from him, he is now at the Corniche and all I could get was WOW, this is stunning! WOW< I aint coming back to NZ! lol

Maltester/Novita, you didn't tell me he was gonna enjoy it this much! lol

heck at this rate, he might even forget me! lol Na...

I am booking soon, just getting eldest passing his driving test first, car now insured for him and then..I am outta here.

Am looking forward to todays pixs.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 5:44 pm