Reload this Page >

Doha, A few questions please

Doha, A few questions please

Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Sean_f will become famous soon enough
Default Doha, A few questions please

Hi Guys,
I am here in Riyadh and visit Doha for a relaxing weekend every few weeks, my next visit is 19th June for 5-6 days and I am flying the wife out form the U.K. to meet me so a couple of questions,
can she bring any alcohol with her?
when dose Ramadan start in Doha and will there be a complete block on Alcohol and pork during Ramadan?
Location of bottle shops? and can I just buy on a U.K. passport?

Thanks in advance,
Sean-f
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:20 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha, A few questions please

Originally Posted by Sean_f
Hi Guys,
I am here in Riyadh and visit Doha for a relaxing weekend every few weeks, my next visit is 19th June for 5-6 days and I am flying the wife out form the U.K. to meet me so a couple of questions,
can she bring any alcohol with her? Nope, if she manages to buy a bottle it will be confiscated on arrival
when dose Ramadan start in Doha and will there be a complete block on Alcohol and pork during Ramadan? Starts here the same time as everywhere else, around the 28th and all bars are closed and the booze shop which you can only visit with a licence. (you must be resident)

Thanks in advance,
Sean-f
See above
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

the days you are coming is fine... at least bars will be open

I just wonder how bad Riyadh is, that you come to Doha to relax...
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

We once had friends that came and visited us in Doha from KSA; they only came once. We are not friends anymore .
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007
the days you are coming is fine... at least bars will be open

I just wonder how bad Riyadh is, that you come to Doha to relax...
Riyadh is great nothing wrong with it (wouldn't be here if I didn't like it) but I do enjoy a Friday brunch with all the trimmings and we don't get that here
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:59 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Riyadh is great nothing wrong with it (wouldn't be here if I didn't like it) but I do enjoy a Friday brunch with all the trimmings and we don't get that here
I'd truly be interested in knowing what you think makes it great (I'm not be sarcastic). I lived there 30 years ago and pretty much hated it, and have been back to Khobar / Dammam recently and didn't perceive anything different from Riyadh 30 years ago.

Sincerely interested in hearing your views
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'd truly be interested in knowing what you think makes it great (I'm not be sarcastic). I lived there 30 years ago and pretty much hated it, and have been back to Khobar / Dammam recently and didn't perceive anything different from Riyadh 30 years ago.

Sincerely interested in hearing your views
I just enjoy been here in Riyadh, sure there are some restriction compared with other countries but it is a safe place, I even enjoy driving here, I have worked all over the world Asia, South America, Europe and Middle East and always have a soft spot for Riyadh if I was here longer my wife would be here like a shot she enjoyed her time here too.

I'm not having a dig at anyone but I read lots on the forum and see so many people saying they hating/not enjoying this place/that place if people truly don't like a location leave, happiness is much more important than any job or salary, life is shorter than you think
Old Jun 12th 2014, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
can she bring any alcohol with her?
when dose Ramadan start in Doha and will there be a complete block on Alcohol and pork during Ramadan?

Thanks in advance,
Sean-f
Why don't you just go to Dubai and you can fill your boots , i know Riyadh's a cess pit but there's much better places than Doha for a weekend that's for sure.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Why don't you just go to Dubai and you can fill your boots , i know Riyadh's a cess pit but there's much better places than Doha for a weekend that's for sure.
I am not keen on Dubai I have been a few times recently, its marketed as a luxury destination and IMHO it is not but it attracts a lot of wannabes I think Doha is as nice as Dubai with the pretentiousness like Dubai was 20 years ago
Old Jun 14th 2014, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not keen on Dubai I have been a few times recently, its marketed as a luxury destination and IMHO it is not but it attracts a lot of wannabes I think Doha is as nice as Dubai with the pretentiousness like Dubai was 20 years ago
Rubbish , there's pretentious people all over mate . Dubai is no different than HK or Singapore was in the 90's , places that attract lots of expats will always get this tag and by the way don't think Doha hasn't got it's fair share either.

Back to your original point , there's not much point coming here if you want loads of booze and pork as there's not a great choice and it's limited to residents.

If Dubai's not your think then try Bahrain , AD or even Muscat , believe you me Doha is way down the list .
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Rubbish , there's pretentious people all over mate . Dubai is no different than HK or Singapore was in the 90's , places that attract lots of expats will always get this tag and by the way don't think Doha hasn't got it's fair share either.

Back to your original point , there's not much point coming here if you want loads of booze and pork as there's not a great choice and it's limited to residents.

If Dubai's not your think then try Bahrain , AD or even Muscat , believe you me Doha is way down the list .
I said it was only my opinion about Dubai, as for Bahrain it is a real dump again only my thoughts, I have been going to Doha off and on for a weekend for about 4 years but tis will be the first time I am meeting the wife there I like the place,

sorry if I have offended anyone it was not my intention
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:32 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I just enjoy been here in Riyadh, sure there are some restriction compared with other countries but it is a safe place, I even enjoy driving here, I have worked all over the world Asia, South America, Europe and Middle East and always have a soft spot for Riyadh if I was here longer my wife would be here like a shot she enjoyed her time here too.

I'm not having a dig at anyone but I read lots on the forum and see so many people saying they hating/not enjoying this place/that place if people truly don't like a location leave, happiness is much more important than any job or salary, life is shorter than you think
Ok, thanks for the reply. Each to his own. Hope you enjoy your trip with your wife
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I said it was only my opinion about Dubai, as for Bahrain it is a real dump again only my thoughts, I have been going to Doha off and on for a weekend for about 4 years but tis will be the first time I am meeting the wife there I like the place,

sorry if I have offended anyone it was not my intention
You don't have to apologise mate , whatever suits you . Us fellas that are here usually spend our free time thinking about getting out
Old Jun 14th 2014, 10:28 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you, reminds me of Benidorm.

Doha may be shite but most of the people here keep it real.