Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha Daytrips without 4WD

Doha Daytrips without 4WD

Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

BigDan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha Daytrips without 4WD

I have been living in Doha for about a month now. I am in good hopes that I will get my PR by the end of next week, then I would like to buy a car, get my drivers license converted and start exploring the city/ country.
I know I could get a temp. license and rent a car, however, I thought I better go only once through the drama of converting my DL. I am also not planning to buy a 4WD, I am actually looking at buying a new Kia Rio. Yes, for the same amount I possibly could get a used 4WD, but I don't want to have a car asap and I want to be sure I don't buy a "lemon". Therefor I have decided to go with Kia, especially since the Nissan, Toyota, Chevrolet and Volvo showrooms did not give too much of a sh** about my presence last Thursday.
To come back for my initial question:
Any good ideas for daytrips from Doha that do NOT require a 4WD. Since I am interested in photography, some nice sunrise/ sunset spots are always welcome. yes, I know, the best photos will be in the dessert for which I will require a 4WD.
Looking forward to some ideas of where to go with a "normal" car.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:18 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha Daytrips without 4WD

Sounds to me like you'd be better buying a new 4x4, since you'd use it for your hobby, plus benefit from the safety in the city. Kia do a couple of cars in their range that are 4x4, the sorento and the sportage. Seem to get good reviews, plus a 7 year warranty. Personally I like the Nissan Xterra 4.0, which is popular on a lease deal for expats. You get good deals at Ramadan, if you can wait a few months.

Me, I'm still drive a Nissan Sunny rental car, which works out at QR1.8k/m and goes off hire when I'm on holiday. I'm dreading the summer, when I have to choose between power going to the wheels, or to the aircon...
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 8:02 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDan
I have been living in Doha for about a month now. I am in good hopes that I will get my PR by the end of next week, then I would like to buy a car, get my drivers license converted and start exploring the city/ country.
I know I could get a temp. license and rent a car, however, I thought I better go only once through the drama of converting my DL. I am also not planning to buy a 4WD, I am actually looking at buying a new Kia Rio. Yes, for the same amount I possibly could get a used 4WD, but I don't want to have a car asap and I want to be sure I don't buy a "lemon". Therefor I have decided to go with Kia, especially since the Nissan, Toyota, Chevrolet and Volvo showrooms did not give too much of a sh** about my presence last Thursday.
To come back for my initial question:
Any good ideas for daytrips from Doha that do NOT require a 4WD. Since I am interested in photography, some nice sunrise/ sunset spots are always welcome. yes, I know, the best photos will be in the dessert for which I will require a 4WD.
Looking forward to some ideas of where to go with a "normal" car.
Dhakira and the mangroves are lovely and do not require a 4x4 - Just north of Al Khor. I found a wreck yard a few weeks back that I intend to go and photograph soon, Its on the back road out of Wakra - lots of old yank yellow buses, trucks and cars. Kia is a good car, I assume its 1.6?
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

You can go to the "singing dunes" without a 4 wheel drive.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the tips, Alexa and Britexpat76!!! I would be interested to see the photos of the wrecks you want to take soon.
Kia Rio is 1.4 :-(

Johnnyboy11: If I had the money, I would buy a new 4WD, BUT...
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 1:22 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the tips, Alexa and Britexpat76!!! I would be interested to see the photos of the wrecks you want to take soon.

Then consider a 1 year lease deal from Mannai Autorent’s Fleet Solutions, being offered to staff at one of the big US consultancies working in Qatar:

2013 Subaru Legacy 2.0i AWD
Automatic transmission, dual zone air conditioning, ABS, power windows, power steering, remote control key system, CD player, Cruise Control, airbags : QR2,700

2013 Subaru Forester 2.5i AWD with Bluetooth and USB
Active torque Split AWD system,. Front ventilated disc brakes, rear-solid disc brakes, pop-up type headlamp washers, front fog lamps, UV protection glass windshield : QR2,600

2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L AWD with Navigation
3.6L, automatic transmission, 4-wheel antilock 4-wheel disc brakes, AM/FM stereo with SD Navigator, CAF, USB, RSA, Pioneer Premium 8-speaker system with subwoofer and amplifier, Stabilitrak vehicle stability enhancement system, power steering : QR2,852

Check the fine-print of any offer, since there will likely be hidden charges for accident damage, early termination, courtesy car etc.

[J]
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch with the Mannai deal. They have changed the prices as they are now offering 2014 cars.

Was interested in getting the wife the 4 x 4 crew cab truck and the rate had gone from qar 2800/month to qar 4100/month.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 1:54 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont buy a 1.4 mate the AC will be bollox. You need a 1.6 unless you like sweating. How much is the Kia?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

New kia rio 2014 is qr 48500.

Unfortunately I am not part of the expats earning big dollar, getting all kinds of allowances, etc. therefore I need to stick to smaller and cheaper cars.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:59 am
Shark Fisherman

New kia rio 2014 is qr 48500.

Unfortunately I am not part of the expats earning big dollar, getting all kinds of allowances, etc. therefore I need to stick to smaller and cheaper cars.
I will help you out. I have sent you a PM
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:00 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I am not part of the expats earning big dollar, getting all kinds of allowances, etc.
Bless you!
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I will help you out. I have sent you a PM
Thanks. Message did not come through though.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
Bless you!
I may need some blessing at some stage :-)
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:32 am
Shark Fisherman

Thanks. Message did not come through though.
My shite doha internet threw a wobbly. All sorted........