Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dogs are not allowed

Dogs are not allowed

Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:28 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of
Unhappy Dogs are not allowed

It's a dog's life because the law firmly states man's best friend cannot romp in public places.

Ahmed Abdul Kareem, Director General of the Horticulture and Public Parks Department at Dubai Municipality, says: "It is prohibited to take pets such as dogs to public parks in the emirate. We know that people love their dogs and we understand that.

"But there are many who do not like dogs or pets. Some people, especially children, are afraid of them. Hence, how can we allow pets in public parks?"

He stresses they have noticed that some people take dogs on roads and open beaches. The municipality has also received a large number of complaints from joggers near Safa Park in Jumeirah. People run there with their dogs.

They recently installed a signboard saying dogs are not allowed in the area. Dogs are also taken to open beaches and the practice is rampant in Mamzar and Jumeirah beach. These areas are monitored by Dubai Police and inspectors of Dubai Municipality's veterinary section.

Kareem, however, points out there is no law stipulating fines for the practice. Various fines apply if a dog is taken to a public place. For example, if a dog relieves itself, the offence will be littering or environment pollution and a fine will then be imposed. Endangering people's safety carries another fine.

Private rules

Shopping malls, shops, restaurants, hotels and other private places have their own rules regarding pets.

"People can take their dogs to remote areas in Dubai, such as the desert or a far area on the beach. Most owners live in villas, but some of them stay in flats. The municipality understands their need to find places for their dogs to go for a walk and other needs.

"The municipality is studying the possibility of establishing a special place or park for dogs. The municipality also receives complaints from dog owners that they have no place to take their pets."

The veterinary section is responsible for stray dogs, which are picked up if they are found wandering the streets alone. A local decree No. 24 issued in 1983 and amended in 1993 says stray animals affecting public health, spoiling the environment and public places, endangering people's safety will be seized and kept in special places.

Kareem has called on all owners to keep their pets under control. All dogs in Dubai must be registered at the veterinary service section of the municipality.

Abu Dhabi Municipality does not have any laws regarding the control of dogs. An official at the municipality said: "We have no written law regarding dogs but there are some areas where dogs are not allowed. They are also not allowed to trod on plants and can only walk on the pavement."

An official from the Environmental Research and Wildlife Development Agency (ERWDA) said: "ERWDA has many priorities regarding the conservation of the environment and wildlife, but the subject of dog control is not one of our current priorities. It is an important subject, but unfortunately it is not a necessity for us to address at this stage.

"I do not believe we will have any regulation concerning dog control in the near future, but we will give it attention in due time. Since we are a fairly new agency we are pressured to direct our attention to things such as falcons and Houbara conservation, marine and environment protection and other environmental issues."

However, Article two of the Federal Law No 24 of 1999 for the Protection and Development of the Environment stipulates that the law aims to "achieve the protection of society, human health and the health of other living creatures from activities and acts which are environmentally harmful or impede authorised use of the environmental setting."

Article 50 strictly prohibits the throwing, treating or burning solid wastes except in places designated for such purposes away from residential, industrial and agricultural areas and water environment.

Also, while the law does not specifically mention dog owners, Article 71 stipulates: "Any person who intentionally or by way of negligence causes damage to the environment shall be held responsible for all the costs of treatment or removal of such damages and any compensation incurred as a result."
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:00 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs are not allowed

Originally Posted by Nabs
It's a dog's life because the law firmly states man's best friend cannot romp in public places.

Ahmed Abdul Kareem, Director General of the Horticulture and Public Parks Department at Dubai Municipality, says: "It is prohibited to take pets such as dogs to public parks in the emirate. We know that people love their dogs and we understand that.

"But there are many who do not like dogs or pets. Some people, especially children, are afraid of them. Hence, how can we allow pets in public parks?"

He stresses they have noticed that some people take dogs on roads and open beaches. The municipality has also received a large number of complaints from joggers near Safa Park in Jumeirah. People run there with their dogs.

They recently installed a signboard saying dogs are not allowed in the area. Dogs are also taken to open beaches and the practice is rampant in Mamzar and Jumeirah beach. These areas are monitored by Dubai Police and inspectors of Dubai Municipality's veterinary section.

Kareem, however, points out there is no law stipulating fines for the practice. Various fines apply if a dog is taken to a public place. For example, if a dog relieves itself, the offence will be littering or environment pollution and a fine will then be imposed. Endangering people's safety carries another fine.

Private rules

Shopping malls, shops, restaurants, hotels and other private places have their own rules regarding pets.

"People can take their dogs to remote areas in Dubai, such as the desert or a far area on the beach. Most owners live in villas, but some of them stay in flats. The municipality understands their need to find places for their dogs to go for a walk and other needs.

"The municipality is studying the possibility of establishing a special place or park for dogs. The municipality also receives complaints from dog owners that they have no place to take their pets."

The veterinary section is responsible for stray dogs, which are picked up if they are found wandering the streets alone. A local decree No. 24 issued in 1983 and amended in 1993 says stray animals affecting public health, spoiling the environment and public places, endangering people's safety will be seized and kept in special places.

Kareem has called on all owners to keep their pets under control. All dogs in Dubai must be registered at the veterinary service section of the municipality.

Abu Dhabi Municipality does not have any laws regarding the control of dogs. An official at the municipality said: "We have no written law regarding dogs but there are some areas where dogs are not allowed. They are also not allowed to trod on plants and can only walk on the pavement."

An official from the Environmental Research and Wildlife Development Agency (ERWDA) said: "ERWDA has many priorities regarding the conservation of the environment and wildlife, but the subject of dog control is not one of our current priorities. It is an important subject, but unfortunately it is not a necessity for us to address at this stage.

"I do not believe we will have any regulation concerning dog control in the near future, but we will give it attention in due time. Since we are a fairly new agency we are pressured to direct our attention to things such as falcons and Houbara conservation, marine and environment protection and other environmental issues."

However, Article two of the Federal Law No 24 of 1999 for the Protection and Development of the Environment stipulates that the law aims to "achieve the protection of society, human health and the health of other living creatures from activities and acts which are environmentally harmful or impede authorised use of the environmental setting."

Article 50 strictly prohibits the throwing, treating or burning solid wastes except in places designated for such purposes away from residential, industrial and agricultural areas and water environment.

Also, while the law does not specifically mention dog owners, Article 71 stipulates: "Any person who intentionally or by way of negligence causes damage to the environment shall be held responsible for all the costs of treatment or removal of such damages and any compensation incurred as a result."
Another advantage of living in McVillas
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:00 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Another advantage of living in McVillas
aren't you moving out?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:01 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

aren't you moving out?
I have to but hopefully not far
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:04 am
The Delivery Man...

Uncle B and me are getting a dog very soon, but these laws are horrible
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:06 am
Banned

Uncle B and me are getting a dog very soon, but these laws are horrible
Well another instance of ArabWorld having to open up to the business world sooner or later......more expats, more dogs 'n' cats
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Well another instance of ArabWorld having to open up to the business world sooner or later......more expats, more dogs 'n' cats
And more people being woken at 3am by the f*****g things barking and having them crap in your front garden. Great.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:22 am
The Delivery Man...

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
And more people being woken at 3am by the f*****g things barking and having them crap in your front garden. Great.

PMSL
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

PMSL
I can assure you I wasn't. The barking bit happened last week. First night my daughter had slept all night for about a fortnight, so you can imagine how happy I was. Being woken at that time by your own children is one thing, but someone elses animal?!

Probably looked highly amusing standing on my balcony shouting at the thing to shut up though!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Oh no now I can't take my mother-in-law to Safa Park anymore PMSL
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:41 am
The Delivery Man...

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Oh no now I can't take my mother-in-law to Safa Park anymore PMSL
Loooooooool

Thats is funny
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by LakesLassie

We have the same problem LL it is very annoying and I hate being woken before my time I can't believe that people let their dogs bark like that in the early hours...my dogs are still tucked up in bed!!!

Oh and I carry a bag when I take mine walkies
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:29 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

well if I can throw in my 2p....... its no fun having to dodge steaming piles of dog poop ALL over this country!

Its sickening sometimes! eugh

the best bit is, it lies there for a couple of days before getting swept up or eaten by ravens!!!!!!!!! :scared: I have even seen them eating discarded cigarettes :scared:

freaky animals! LOL
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Face81
well if I can throw in my 2p....... its no fun having to dodge steaming piles of dog poop ALL over this country!

Its sickening sometimes! eugh

the best bit is, it lies there for a couple of days before getting swept up or eaten by ravens!!!!!!!!! :scared: I have even seen them eating discarded cigarettes :scared:

freaky animals! LOL

Ravens with a nicotine addiction....now that's just plain scary :scared: What will they do for their next fix?????
Old Feb 16th 2005, 4:35 am
Long Member

lewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Dogs are not allowed

Bat cave now in between Springs and Meadows 2.....just finishing off BBQ area.. week should have it finished........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.