Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Does UK freeview box work in UAE

Does UK freeview box work in UAE

Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Tayto15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does UK freeview box work in UAE

hi hi, I was wandering if I buy a freeview box (recorder) in the UK if it would work in the UAE? Currently in the house in UAE they have some sort of a cable, could they plug in the uk freeview box into the existing cable and view only UK channels and/or only currently supplied cable channels? Many thanks...
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does UK freeview box work in UAE

I'd be surprised if it works, but even if it did, you definitely wouldn't be able to get the UK freeview channels.......
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:15 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tayto15
hi hi, I was wandering if I buy a freeview box (recorder) in the UK if it would work in the UAE? Currently in the house in UAE they have some sort of a cable, could they plug in the uk freeview box into the existing cable and view only UK channels and/or only currently supplied cable channels? Many thanks...

Alas, no dear.

If you are a serious TV junkie then you'll need to buy a hacked StarSat Dreambox plus the access card (which costs around 400 Dhs for 6 months). This will get you thousands of (mostly bollox) channels on the Hotbird and Nilesat transponders. Hook it up to your existing dish and Bob's your uncle.

If you also want Fanny's your aunt with the 3D sport, movies etc, you can get an additional Vee Pee En box...

This will get you pretty much everything apart from the Sky channels which are unhackable without spending megabucks.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

This picture perfectly sums up my initial thought too!!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tayto15
I think you will have more success if you try and set up a complex system of mirrors from the UK to the UAE that will allow you to watch the TV in the living room of your parent's house.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:36 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
This will get you pretty much everything apart from the Sky channels which are unhackable without spending megabucks.
I have a UK Sky subscription, and can watch via SkyGo service using vee pee enn.

BTW: You can watch Sky (in Europe) without a subscription, and it doesn't cost megabucks, if you know the right place to look (don't ask I won't tell...)

The satellites which distribute Sky to the UK have a very tightly focussed beam and cannot be viewed in the middle east without a dish the size of Jodrell Bank.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:38 am
Some say, he adores KSA

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think you will have more success if you try and set up a complex system of mirrors from the UK to the UAE that will allow you to watch the TV in the living room of your parent's house.
Or a Slingbox http://uk.slingbox.com/
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthestig
I have a UK Sky subscription, and can watch via SkyGo service using vee pee enn.

BTW: You can watch Sky (in Europe) without a subscription, and it doesn't cost megabucks, if you know the right place to look (don't ask I won't tell...)

The satellites which distribute Sky to the UK have a very tightly focussed beam and cannot be viewed in the middle east without a dish the size of Jodrell Bank.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html

I used to get Sky in Libya using a 3.8m dish, but even then the signal was ratty.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
I used to get Sky in Libya using a 3.8m dish, but even then the signal was ratty.
My old man has a 2.5m diameter dish in Crete.

Gets some channels never
some all the time
some until lunch
some only after lunch.

That would drive me up the wall.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Tayto15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your replies. Seeing as this was intended as a gift for christmas I think I better stick to the usual DVD boxsets as this is far too technical......nevertheless worth a try!!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Gus Honeybun is an unknown quantity at this point

Then choose the correct region - Pal, Secam or NTSC.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:56 am
Some say, he adores KSA

Originally Posted by Gus Honeybun
Then choose the correct region - Pal, Secam or NTSC.
Digital broadcasts (satellite and terrestrial) don't have this encoding, and if you connect a receiver via HDMI it is a direct digital connection, no need for UHF modulation, which is what these old analogue region systems are.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by iamthestig
Digital broadcasts (satellite and terrestrial) don't have this encoding, and if you connect a receiver via HDMI it is a direct digital connection, no need for UHF modulation, which is what these old analogue region systems are.
I think it was re the boxsets...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.