Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Does the ME make you Fat or Thin?

Does the ME make you Fat or Thin?

Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

popsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to all
Default Re: Does the ME make you Fat or Thin?

My theory is that people tend to fall into one of two camps.
Camp 1: you get bored shitless and drink and eat loads
Camp 2: you get bored shitless and exercise loads
Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Aliland is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I got a bit confused - I thought you were talking about the illness ME! (Incase your interested - thin because you don't really eat, but really unfit because you don't get enough excersise) However, on the subject - I'm not sure why everyone goes on about the Mediterranean diet being so good. I've been on it for 10 years - its very tasty but I need a LOT of exercises to cope.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

hmm tricky- overall I've lost weight here, I have more spare time here then in UK and can actually have an exercise routine so have built in training into my spare time (she says having not been this year). However in the Uk I was far more active in my job whereas here I am mostly sat at my desk so have to fit in the gym otherwise I'd turn into atilla the hun. Cardio fitness wise though I am fitter.

I also think you become more body conscious, if your going to the beach or the pool you are aware if you've gained a bit compared to covering up in layers in blighty.

Having said that I gained loads of weight at xmas after my first xmas at home in 3 years and home made sausage rolls - they didn't stand a chance! so am now a fat bastard again and need to get back on the diet i seem to take two steps forwards and one step back!

Boozewise I don't really drink much differently to back in the UK, once or twice a month at the most but then I've not been a big drinker since I was a teenager anyway. But can see how people easily do pile it on with the booze.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

maudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kittycat1
hmm tricky- overall I've lost weight here, I have more spare time here then in UK and can actually have an exercise routine so have built in training into my spare time (she says having not been this year). However in the Uk I was far more active in my job whereas here I am mostly sat at my desk so have to fit in the gym otherwise I'd turn into atilla the hun. Cardio fitness wise though I am fitter.

I also think you become more body conscious, if your going to the beach or the pool you are aware if you've gained a bit compared to covering up in layers in blighty.

Having said that I gained loads of weight at xmas after my first xmas at home in 3 years and home made sausage rolls - they didn't stand a chance! so am now a fat bastard again and need to get back on the diet i seem to take two steps forwards and one step back!

Boozewise I don't really drink much differently to back in the UK, once or twice a month at the most but then I've not been a big drinker since I was a teenager anyway. But can see how people easily do pile it on with the booze.
i lost 30 kgs in 6 months and still fighting to keep away of sweet and bread ,,soft drinks ,,i found it is easy to lose but hard to save wight of over load
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

wow well done Maud- thats a huge ammount!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

maudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant futuremaudawia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kittycat1
wow well done Maud- thats a huge ammount!
yeah very huge with regualr exercise
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:17 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maudawia
i lost 30 kgs in 6 months and still fighting to keep away of sweet and bread ,,soft drinks ,,i found it is easy to lose but hard to save wight of over load
Sweet jesus, what was your weight before you shed 30Kg?
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Sweet jesus, what was your weight before you shed 30Kg?
Just call him Oprah...
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I don't feel you got the recognition you deserve for that admission, but holy ****ing shit...
I think i must have sat beside you on a plane one time, you took my armrest ....and most of my seat actually
Frankly I was a bit pissed off no one said anything, but to lose that amount of weight these days without a gastric band or other op is pretty much unheard of...yes I agree I should never have been that size in the first place, but I was, and I did something about it!! I stopped eating, started walking and for someone who was very close to being an Olympic gymnast it was extremely tough to take it all on board.

As an asthmatic I was told I could smoke all the fags I wanted, but it was the weight that would kill me yet it still took 2 years to get my ass in to gear after that.

Eat what you want and move, or watch what you eat and watch the telly, pretty simple stuff whatever country you live in!!

Thanks for noticing xx
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:11 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Last year I was working on average a 80hr week with a young family and still managed to push out 15-20hrs a week of training.
How? do you spend time with your wife & kids?

24 hours in a day. 8 hours sleep leaves 16 hours. Be generous, call it 30 mins commute to work. Be generous, call it 30 mins eating (10 mins per meal - which I assume your wife prepares for you?). Now leaves 15 hours. Leaves 105 hours per week. 80hr working week, 20hr training, leaves you 5 hours across 7 days to spend with your family.

5 hours over 7 days. Wow.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:16 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Frankly I was a bit pissed off no one said anything, but to lose that amount of weight these days without a gastric band or other op is pretty much unheard of...yes I agree I should never have been that size in the first place, but I was, and I did something about it!! I stopped eating, started walking and for someone who was very close to being an Olympic gymnast it was extremely tough to take it all on board.

As an asthmatic I was told I could smoke all the fags I wanted, but it was the weight that would kill me yet it still took 2 years to get my ass in to gear after that.

Eat what you want and move, or watch what you eat and watch the telly, pretty simple stuff whatever country you live in!!

Thanks for noticing xx
it's funny. I've found it is often ex-athletes that let themselves go.

Being an asthmatic is a bitch in the gulf. I have to balance intake with expenditure. If I can't exercise because my asthma is bad, I have to cut out booze and cakes and donughts and spring rolls... Luckily, I have a swimming pool within 10 minutes drive from work so I can get 30 mins swim per day during working days which works for me. I have two young kids and work full time, so I can't dedicate daytime to the gym whilst they're at school, nor evening workout sessions in a hotel gym.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by popsicle
My theory is that people tend to fall into one of two camps.
Camp 1: you get bored shitless and drink and eat loads
Camp 2: you get bored shitless and exercise loads
True I would only add that you are likely to get fatter in dry countries (KSA, Libya, Sudan, Kuwait) cause there you drink more - 5 gallons of home brew costs the same as a pint of beer in a bar in Qatar/UAE/Bahrain. If you want lay of the booze and get fit stay away from the dry countries.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by maudawia
running every day after work is my best way to keep fit , active and healthy
This is exactly why in the ME many people, me included, put on weight. You shouldn't have to go running every day or go to the gym every day to stay fit, it's not natural and not necessary in other parts of the world, but here it is.

So yes, unless you are prepared to do excessive amounts of exercise or have one of those 'eat anything drink anything but never put on weight' constitutions then the chances are you will put on weight.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:12 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
How? do you spend time with your wife & kids?

24 hours in a day. 8 hours sleep leaves 16 hours. Be generous, call it 30 mins commute to work. Be generous, call it 30 mins eating (10 mins per meal - which I assume your wife prepares for you?). Now leaves 15 hours. Leaves 105 hours per week. 80hr working week, 20hr training, leaves you 5 hours across 7 days to spend with your family.

5 hours over 7 days. Wow.
Lol...I train during the day inbetween different site visits, I rarely sleep 8 hours and my biggest fans are my family who I see and spend loads of time with.

Put the pie down and get a grip
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:18 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Did the prayer call wake you or are you up for a cycle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.