Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dodgy prize phone-calls?

Dodgy prize phone-calls?

Old Oct 9th 2006, 4:55 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dodgy prize phone-calls?

On top of the 2 phone calls from 2 different banks offering me credit cards over the past 2 days (how did they get my number, I asked, and they said something about a Phone Banking List. EH?) I got a call today from some woman from some distribution company saying that I'd entered a competition on Radio 2 the other week and had won the prize of 4 cases of Evian water. I have to collect them in Deira if I want them.

I don't remember entering anything where the prize was this, but I do often text answers to quizzes for the hell of it. They knew my name and everything.

Dodgy? Or am I getting (more) paranoid in my old age. Anyone else heard of something like this?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgy prize phone-calls?

I too often get calls from banks other than my own offering me loans, if I wanted a personal loan I am damned sure I wouldn’t wait till I got a phone call offering me ‘special rates’. I ask to speak to their supervisor, he/she is never available, so I ask for their mobile number so I can call them, when I am told that they don’t give them out, I ask then why they are cold calling me, I demand to have my name removed from their database.

The source of many of these calls originate via your office receptionist, having manned the phones during lunch times at work I have taken cold calls from telemarketers working for banks calling the office asking for the mobile phone numbers of the senior managers and any one else who might be interested in the services of ‘blah blah’ bank. They attempt to play on the receptionist’s sympathy saying that they only make commission for every call they make, they are not on salary, so the more phone numbers they can call the more money they make.

Should I give them your number??
Old Oct 10th 2006, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgy prize phone-calls?

Is it worth treking around Deira to get four cases of water? I'd have thought if it was a scam the prize would be a little more enticing. Gold or diamonds maybe....