Reload this Page >

Do I need to pay NI while working in Abu Dhabi

Do I need to pay NI while working in Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Zhenhua is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need to pay NI while working in Abu Dhabi

Hello,

This is my first thread here. I'm a Chinese and currently working for a UK company. I'm relocating to our Abu Dhabi office next week to enjoy the sunshine and tax-free.
A letter from HR said I still had to pay UK NI contribution for the first year of my assignment. My understanding is I'm not a British citizen and do not work/live in the UK, so why do I need to pay NI?
Any info will be highly appreciated!!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to pay NI while working in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Zhenhua
Hello,

This is my first thread here. I'm a Chinese and currently working for a UK company. I'm relocating to our Abu Dhabi office next week to enjoy the sunshine and tax-free.
A letter from HR said I still had to pay UK NI contribution for the first year of my assignment. My understanding is I'm not a British citizen and do not work/live in the UK, so why do I need to pay NI?
If you won't go back to the UK anymore,you have nothing to worry about...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Confucius
If you won't go back to the UK anymore,you have nothing to worry about...
Thanks for the reply, Confucius. You are saying if I don't come back to UK anymore, I can ask my employer to stop deducting money from my payslip?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, Confucius. You are saying if I don't come back to UK anymore, I can ask my employer to stop deducting money from my payslip?
You paying money to HM government when you won't go there anymore is like me paying taxes to the Argentinian government...Why pay when you won't step foot in a country ever again???
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

You paying money to HM government when you won't go there anymore is like me paying taxes to the Argentinian government...Why pay when you won't step foot in a country ever again???
Absolutely, I don't understand why the HR asked me to do that. Will call them tomorrow morning and see what they say. Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Absolutely, I don't understand why the HR asked me to do that. Will call them tomorrow morning and see what they say. Thanks a lot.
Not a problem...You'll pay me next time...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Not a problem...You'll pay me next time...
Sure, if a number of pints is what you are after.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sure, if a number of pints is what you are after.
Sorry to disappoint you, I don't drink...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to disappoint you, I don't drink...
No doubt there are some British citizens looking in on this thread attracted by the header...

So, the only reason UK citizens who are or may return to the Uk sometime would pay NI is for;

1) unemployment benefits if becomes unemployed in the UK or

2) more importantly to get 30 years contributions in the bag so one day a basic state pension will be paid

NI payments are around £450 a year I think

Is this about right?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:29 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Add 3) to be able to access NHS services for free while visiting the UK. We've made use of this several times to get vaccinations for Madeleine that you can't get here.

British expats get a 3-year payment holiday during which time they're eligible for full NHS treatment like any taxpaying Brit, but after 3 years you're supposed to start paying NI again if you want to maintain your entitlement.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BlackCloud
No doubt there are some British citizens looking in on this thread attracted by the header...

So, the only reason UK citizens who are or may return to the Uk sometime would pay NI is for;

1) unemployment benefits if becomes unemployed in the UK or

2) more importantly to get 30 years contributions in the bag so one day a basic state pension will be paid

NI payments are around £450 a year I think

Is this about right?
According to http://www.listentotaxman.com, my contribution would be 1,900 for 2008/09. This is a lot to me.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

British expats get a 3-year payment holiday during which time they're eligible for full NHS treatment like any taxpaying Brit, but after 3 years you're supposed to start paying NI again if you want to maintain your entitlement
Hi Eyore, I know this has been done to death, but where did you get that from..

I never realised that...

Looks like i need to start paying again...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Hello,

I went through this with my current employer, if you are transferring overseas, you are still liable for the first year of NI then no obligation afterwards. If you were to transfer your employment to an overseas employer, you have no obligation to pay NI at all.

Check out http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm - specifically

Workers who are sent to work abroad by their employers in countries not covered by EC or Reciprocal Agreements have to pay Class 1 contributions for the first 52 weeks that they work abroad where certain conditions are satisfied. Once the 52 weeks have come to an end the guidance and advice that we provide indicates that these employees should pay Class 3 contributions.

Class 3 Contributions are around £7.35 a week and entitle you to the same benefits as Class 1. I would suggest you talk with your employer about either recompensing you for the NI (in some way) or transfer your contract employment to another company in UAE.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:37 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Hi Eyore, I know this has been done to death, but where did you get that from..
The NI website, IIRC.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
The NI website, IIRC.
cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.