Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

divorce and stuff...

divorce and stuff...

Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:53 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: divorce and stuff...

Originally Posted by Millhouse
This isn't nice

But - a question in my mind, can a dutch divorce settlement be enforced here?

don't worry about the kids MH - I'm from a broken home... it did me no harm
I've been advised by a local lawyer to get the divorce settlement translated into Arabic and to get it attested at the UAE embassy in Holland, not that that would it make it legal as such, but at least when something would happen that goes against the ruling, I'd have a bit more than a lot of Dutch words...
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:54 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Sorry to hear that, MH....

Since the rent, DEWA etc are not part of his salary, but part of his overall package, I would say that, technically, any monies he gives you as rent etc would be part of the overall alimony payment that he makes to you.

His child support payments would likely be calculated on his salary, less allowances, and there is a chance that his employer moves him from a married status package to a single status package, if they were to feel so inclined. That would have an effect on his allowances too...
yeah, the package will work in my disadvantage, it would have been better if it was an all in salary...I'll have to watch out for that when I next marry
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:27 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
no, it's not normal I would think, but mr MH has been with this company for almost 20 years, so I guess that since they brought us over here, they may sort of feel an obligation to help out a bit. If they wouldn't, it could mean my husband would have to leave Dubai which might not suit them.
But even so, there is a risk involved for me to have to rely on this.

No, my company won't provide any of this due to the nature of my job.

According to Dutch law, he will have to support me for 12 years.
Holy shit 12 years?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Holy shit 12 years?
You thinking 'higher' or 'lower'?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

MH, sorry to hear this. Hope you guys can keep level heads (is yours ever anything else?) and it all works out for the best for you both and your children.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit 12 years?
moral of the story, dont marry a Dutch bird unless you have an aversion to keeping cash in the bank
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

oops and should add that divorces are always grim so I think what he is offering is more than reasonable given this bit of the world we live in

Hope it stays amicable for as long as possible
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:59 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
You thinking 'higher' or 'lower'?
Erm, well never. Split the assets, that's it.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Erm, well never. Split the assets, that's it.
Alimony doesn't work like that or at least it didn't the last time i had any brushes with it. I think my father had to pay (TBH a small sum, not enough for her not to work) until my mother lived with/ married someone else. Obviously it all depends on the marriage length etc. This was seperate to child maintenance.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:39 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by mentalist
Sorry to hear your news, MH...and that sentiment comes from Lionheart too. For what its worth, I agree that, if you are looking after the kids, you should get a much better share. After all, your ex won't need much more than a bachelor pad, surely? However, the judicial system here does seem to favour the males in the household. Who gets to keep the family pets? Anyway, good luck and I hope it all works out well for you in the end.
Lionheart?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MH, just wanted to say I hope you get everything sorted out fairly and amicably...good luck with it all xx
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:21 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear this MH.

Best of luck getting it all sorted.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit 12 years?
Allimony - the act of giving oats to a dead horse

You can get divorced anywhere and it's usually recognised as long as it's stamped, translated and attested by whoever...a lot of people don't know that and end up going back home to get royally screwed over. I'd suggest Saudi's a good place - just say I divorce you three times, drink three shots of Vodka and say two hail mary's and it's over

N.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

sorry to hear that MH. I hope everything is sorted amicably, best of luck.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:43 pm
hmmmm...nice

thanks for all your replies and messages and karma and stuff...

now...I know there's a million threads about this, but hey ho, I will ask anyway...
would I be ok with 12,500 dhs a month, villa will be paid for, so will medical, school fees etc. So basically food, phone/internet/tv, Dewa and car...
I would have a bit more cause I work, but as it's freelance type, I never know how much I will earn, so I can't rely on that money as such...
It would be myself and my daughter most of the time. And yes, I realise I will need to be more clued up as to where to shop, probably not just go and buy everything at Spinneys...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.