Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Diving for beginners

Diving for beginners

Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Diving for beginners

Right, i thought i was up for some dune bashing, but having read that thread have decided i need to start off with a gentler hobby.......

I've heard the diving out there / in Oman is good?! Can anyone recommend any clubs to an absolute beginner?

Thanks,

R
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diving for beginners

Originally Posted by Rachatron
Right, i thought i was up for some dune bashing, but having read that thread have decided i need to start off with a gentler hobby.......

I've heard the diving out there / in Oman is good?! Can anyone recommend any clubs to an absolute beginner?

Thanks,

R
the diving is quite good in Fujairah, Supposed to be better up in Musandam (Oman)

Did my PADI with Al Boom in Dubai. I would recommend them.
www.alboomdiving.com
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Rachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of light

Great, thanks Inse
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:15 am

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, not what I thought this thread was about. Can't help.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
Ah, not what I thought this thread was about. Can't help.
you wouldnt remember about it anyway even if it was what you were thinking of!

now what was that new name for you from last night
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:51 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
you wouldnt remember about it anyway even if it was what you were thinking of!

now what was that new name for you from last night
I just hired everything I need for this weekends dive from dubai scuba, dir 100 for the lot, what a bargain. (oh I already am borrowing dive computer and a tank)
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I just hired everything I need for this weekends dive from dubai scuba, dir 100 for the lot, what a bargain. (oh I already am borrowing dive computer and a tank)
I havn't bothered with a dive computer yet. Havnt done my advanced so I'm not doing anything deeper than about 20-21m so its not really needed. Have a watch which gives me my depth and bottom time.

the Scuba Dubai stuff will be Scubapro which is decent kit. Have a Scubapro BCD myself which I'm quite happy with!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:58 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I havn't bothered with a dive computer yet. Havnt done my advanced so I'm not doing anything deeper than about 20-21m so its not really needed. Have a watch which gives me my depth and bottom time.

the Scuba Dubai stuff will be Scubapro which is decent kit. Have a Scubapro BCD myself which I'm quite happy with!
where did you buy it from? I've been told its cheaper back in the UK?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

I gather the gear is cheap enough to buy out there? I mean, like the basics...mask, flippers etc. They'd be the only items I'd really wanna buy...with the exception of a wetsuit maybe.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

where did you buy it from? I've been told its cheaper back in the UK?
I think the prices are cheaper back home. Currency is so weak here thanks to the Dollar that nothing is all that cheap in shops.

Got my BCD from Scubapro - Scubapro T-Force - they will normally knock a bit off the ticket price.
Mask/fins/snorkel/boots I got from Al Boom
Got my Reg/octopus from the Pavillion Dive centre - wanted the all metal Mares Reg as it reduces dry mouth.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CeeBee
I gather the gear is cheap enough to buy out there? I mean, like the basics...mask, flippers etc. They'd be the only items I'd really wanna buy...with the exception of a wetsuit maybe.
mask will set you back 150/200 Dhs
can't remember what I paid for my fins but they weren't too expensive.
you would also want boots

I can't comment on wetsuits as I never wear one.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

mask will set you back 150/200 Dhs
can't remember what I paid for my fins but they weren't too expensive.
you would also want boots

I can't comment on wetsuits as I never wear one.
Ah ok...what....just shorts then?? That'd make sense I guess.

I used to be quite in touch with what was hot / not in diving but its been years since I lost my interest. Should maybe scrub up.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Ah ok...what....just shorts then?? That'd make sense I guess.

I used to be quite in touch with what was hot / not in diving but its been years since I lost my interest. Should maybe scrub up.
just shorts and a quick drying type t-shirt.
even in winter the water is 23 degrees.

wetsuit is sometimes advisable during the jellyfish season but even then its still a pain so I take the risk.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:20 am
why ayeeeee man!

just shorts and a quick drying type t-shirt.
even in winter the water is 23 degrees.

wetsuit is sometimes advisable during the jellyfish season but even then its still a pain so I take the risk.
i've been told its a lot colder in Oman? they said get a 3mm full length wetsuit.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i've been told its a lot colder in Oman? they said get a 3mm full length wetsuit.
I dont think it will be any colder than 23-24 degrees up there.
think fujairah is now 25-26 degrees. Even then everybody else I've dived with has worn a 3mm suit at Fujairah. I just dont find it necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.