Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Disturbing signs of Oman

Disturbing signs of Oman

Old Jun 15th 2014, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disturbing signs of Oman

This is a copy of an interesting blog that I read recently, would be nice to receive some comments from the group here..

1.The recent idea/attempt by some in the Shura Council to tax expat remissions. (Didn’t happen but the thought is there!)
2.Current ban on exploying expat women in the Sultanate (Based on the idea that women might not be so safe here in Oman?) (As a side note, still absolutely no word on the punishment (if any) of the 5 beasts who raped an Asian lady in Sohar last year.)
3.Ban on dancers and live music. (Seems small but seems to have killed many social events and hurt several pubs/bars in their entertainment options.)
4.Growing gap between expats and Omanis (January saw large salary increases for many Omanis based on the fact that…well, they are Omani!) The current minimum wage for Omanis is 325 OR while the minimum wage for an Ethiopian maid (correct me if I’m wrong anyone) is 25 OR.
5.Unclear/Confusing laws (The recent announcement of a 2 year ban on expats, for example, that is still causing much confusion and interpreted differently by so many. (See #3 once again for another example)
6.Closing down of some respectable B&Bs such as Nomad Guesthouse as reported by Y Magazine. (Maybe this also should fall into #5)
7.The subsidies on petrol are to end this year or next. This year (I heard/read) is also the first time that Oman has considered the option of borrowing money from foreign countries to meet its budget. An anticipated deficit of 1.8 billion for Oman’s 2014 budget according to the Times of Oman.
8.Proposed ban of alcohol as reported in the Times of Oman yesterday. You need to read this for yourself and see some of the attitudes out there about which direction some wish this country to follow

Last edited by jinoman; Jun 15th 2014 at 7:39 am.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 8:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disturbing signs of Oman

My company is fairly busy in Oman trying to get oil pipelines constructed at the moment. There is quite a bit of oil coming on stream, so I doubt their budget position will be a problem soon.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 9:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
My company is fairly busy in Oman trying to get oil pipelines constructed at the moment. There is quite a bit of oil coming on stream, so I doubt their budget position will be a problem soon.
this apart from the fact i know of a few companies being massively hampered by a ban on employing expats at the moment. I know one where the ministry of labour has been submitting people they think should do the jobs for the company ( Omanis of course and of course utterly unqualified)!
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

The proposed ban on alcohol has turned up just before ramadan for at least twenty years. Nothing new.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:02 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jinoman
This is a copy of an interesting blog that I read recently, would be nice to receive some comments from the group here..

1.The recent idea/attempt by some in the Shura Council to tax expat remissions. (Didn’t happen but the thought is there!) yes, because there is a budget deficit. India does this to their expats and locals. it may happen as there is no income tax. most countries in the world have income tax.
2.Current ban on exploying expat women in the Sultanate (Based on the idea that women might not be so safe here in Oman?) (As a side note, still absolutely no word on the punishment (if any) of the 5 beasts who raped an Asian lady in Sohar last year.) ban is stupidly based on the idea that a lot of non local women who are single and being paid a shit wage prostitute themselves. of course banning women is the "simple" solution
3.Ban on dancers and live music. (Seems small but seems to have killed many social events and hurt several pubs/bars in their entertainment options.) see point 2. mix drunk Omanis, poor Philippinas, dancing, live bars, and whaddaya get? quite frankly it hasn't really impacted most people's lives
4.Growing gap between expats and Omanis (January saw large salary increases for many Omanis based on the fact that…well, they are Omani!) The current minimum wage for Omanis is 325 OR while the minimum wage for an Ethiopian maid (correct me if I’m wrong anyone) is 25 OR. like the expat that posts this blog truly gives a flying f about housemaids salaries. minimum wage for expats is 75 OMR/month, but the employer is then expected to pay for housing, clothing, utilities, medical, toiletries, food, phone bills everything. western expats pay more, say around 150-200 OMR per month, provide medical and housing / utilities, but treat the housemaid as a grown up where she can decide how she spends her money. it's still not a lot of money. almost no Omani would work as a housemaid / labourer; just as most Brits would not work picking fruit in fields during harvest time anymore - it's a job for the immigrants
5.Unclear/Confusing laws (The recent announcement of a 2 year ban on expats, for example, that is still causing much confusion and interpreted differently by so many. (See #3 once again for another example) the ban is clear - complete your contract, or f off for 2 years before you can get a new job. if you want to come back earlier than 2 years you can get a job with the same company. it's the retarded times of India/Oman that misinterprets and causes so much confusion, not the law
6.Closing down of some respectable B&Bs such as Nomad Guesthouse as reported by Y Magazine. (Maybe this also should fall into #5) reputable?!?!?! bwahahahahaha
7.The subsidies on petrol are to end this year or next. This year (I heard/read) is also the first time that Oman has considered the option of borrowing money from foreign countries to meet its budget. An anticipated deficit of 1.8 billion for Oman’s 2014 budget according to the Times of Oman.this is a real problem. Oman produces oil, but not as much as nearby states, and has a much higher local population to support across widespread and difficult terrain, as well as dealing with terrorists from neighbouring countries. of course they should remove the oil subsidy from petrol costs. I bet there will be a lot less pointless v8 SUVs driven by 1 person on short commute to work. that's a good thing. the budget deficit is real.
8.Proposed ban of alcohol as reported in the Times of Oman yesterday. You need to read this for yourself and see some of the attitudes out there about which direction some wish this country to follow a lot of Omanis drink alcohol like fish. the Shura are just pandering to the great unwashed who can't afford alcohol
the bottom line is the blog is written by a happy flappy fundamentalist Christian who has a few chips on his shoulder and is only out here for the money whilst pretending otherwise. make of that as you will.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:03 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
this apart from the fact i know of a few companies being massively hampered by a ban on employing expats at the moment. I know one where the ministry of labour has been submitting people they think should do the jobs for the company ( Omanis of course and of course utterly unqualified)!
there's no ban, but just as the UK and USA and Australia and and and does, companies need to prove there are no qualified and willing locals to do the job before an expat is brought in. fair enough.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:04 pm
womble

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
the oil coming on stream is to replace the oil going off stream, through natural decline - the budget is tighter than a gnat's you know what
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:14 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
the oil coming on stream is to replace the oil going off stream, through natural decline - the budget is tighter than a gnat's you know what
Not sure about what its replacing but we are doing very well out of it. So if you work for WG you are being royally shafted
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:23 pm
womble

who's WG? (and I guess by that question, means I'm not )
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:35 pm
Knee deep and rising

Our esteemed JV partner.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:05 pm
womble

oooooh..... them. yes, but.... well.... erm..... it's not actually that important if the company makes money, as long as someone does, iykwim

eh?
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:18 pm
Knee deep and rising

oooooh..... them. yes, but.... well.... erm..... it's not actually that important if the company makes money, as long as someone does, iykwim

eh?
That's what we are 100% all about
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:00 pm
womble

what colour is your envelope?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:43 am
Knee deep and rising

what colour is your envelope?
I wish, unfortunately (or fortunately) for me I am on the wrong side of the transactions. Setting up fake subcontracts and consultancy agreements and all that kind of jazz for 'helpful' individuals.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:50 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

there's no ban, but just as the UK and USA and Australia and and and does, companies need to prove there are no qualified and willing locals to do the job before an expat is brought in. fair enough.
granted its not a de facto ban but it may as well be. the "candidates" being recommended are hilariously under qualified but are of course Omanis with contacts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.