Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

disadvantages of not being married

disadvantages of not being married

Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

xqbgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default disadvantages of not being married

My daughter and her boyfriend are planning to live in Dubai very soon. He has accepted a job which starts June 2nd and is hoping to have everything set up in 3-4 months. Because they are not married will my daughter encounter many problems getting employer sponsorship for a residence visa? I am also quite worried about the legal aspects of them living together. I would appreciate any advice regarding this. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:23 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: disadvantages of not being married

Many people cohabit here. Yes, it's illegal, but if you're Western then there'll be no problem (sadly, Filipinos get caught and deported for cohabiting all the time). No, your daughter shouldn't face any problems getting a residence visa if she finds her own job, but she will need to do regular visa runs until that happens. She also won't be able to have her own bank account etc until she has her own residency.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

xqbgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for your reply. you have helped to put my mind at rest!!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:41 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Many people cohabit here. Yes, it's illegal, but if you're Western then there'll be no problem (sadly, Filipinos get caught and deported for cohabiting all the time). No, your daughter shouldn't face any problems getting a residence visa if she finds her own job, but she will need to do regular visa runs until that happens. She also won't be able to have her own bank account etc until she has her own residency.
Sorry to be a pain but she can have a bank account with an ATM card with MeBank without a residence visa...but she can't get a debit or credit card or a cheque book until she get's her residence visa.

Norm