British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Disability insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/disability-insurance-593633/)

alexalexa Feb 24th 2009 7:53 am

Disability insurance

Hello guys,

This is a rather unpleasant topic, but it's better to think about this topics before it's to late. Some of you might be in the same situation as us, therefore I thought I ask you for advice.

I am from Austria and my husband is US American. We are living together in Dubai and are insured with his company (health). In case my husband would one day have an accident and be disabled, which would not allow him to work, he would loose his job and therefore his health insurance. Therefore we are looking for a disability insurance that would not only pay us money every month (since he could not work), but also pay the healthcare. I am looking for the same package for me. Furthermore the insurance should allow us to return to Austria and consume it there.

Any ideas?

This is really important for me, as I am scared that in that case, we would not only be financially lost, but even seperated, as I cannot live in the US with him not being financially stable and same the other way around :confused:

Thanks for your help

Hello.Kitty Feb 24th 2009 7:58 am

Re: Disability insurance

I only know of one policy by American Life that does that for women if you are diagnosed with cancer.

Also, some companies have a death/disability insurance of sorts built into the contract. Something along the lines of if you were to sustain injury/death while conducting your normal duties at work, then you or your next of kin get a certain payout, like a year's worth of salary.

Also see what your current medical insurance actually covers. It probably won't hand out a monthly/yearly payout, but may give a lumpsum that can be used as you wish.

lionheart Feb 24th 2009 9:37 am

I asked this on an earlier thread but got no response so will try again here. Are UAE employers required by law to provide basic Health Insurance cover for their workers? I know that their dependants are not normally covered but what about the employees themselves?

Madam Medusa Feb 24th 2009 9:44 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7317227)
I asked this on an earlier thread but got no response so will try again here. Are UAE employers required by law to provide basic Health Insurance cover for their workers? I know that their dependants are not normally covered but what about the employees themselves?

under new rules, employers will have to cover basic health insurance for every employee...there will be a lot of publicity about it fairly soon...check out the dubai health authority website for full details, http://www.dha.gov.ae/output/page58.asp

MM, xx

Meow Feb 24th 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 7316977)
Hello guys,

This is a rather unpleasant topic, but it's better to think about this topics before it's to late. Some of you might be in the same situation as us, therefore I thought I ask you for advice.

I am from Austria and my husband is US American. We are living together in Dubai and are insured with his company (health). In case my husband would one day have an accident and be disabled, which would not allow him to work, he would loose his job and therefore his health insurance. Therefore we are looking for a disability insurance that would not only pay us money every month (since he could not work), but also pay the healthcare. I am looking for the same package for me. Furthermore the insurance should allow us to return to Austria and consume it there.

Any ideas?

This is really important for me, as I am scared that in that case, we would not only be financially lost, but even seperated, as I cannot live in the US with him not being financially stable and same the other way around :confused:

Thanks for your help

I have previously emailed you with information, but you did not respond.

-

lionheart Feb 25th 2009 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7317243)
under new rules, employers will have to cover basic health insurance for every employee...there will be a lot of publicity about it fairly soon...check out the dubai health authority website for full details, http://www.dha.gov.ae/output/page58.asp

MM, xx

Sorry but I didn't find the web site very helpful. Just loads of bureacratic flannel. So when exactly does it all take place? The web site talks about October 2008 being when the new scheme is supposedly rolling out!

Norm_uk Feb 25th 2009 6:21 am

Hello guys,

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

I work for the only chartered insurance broker in the region - arranging Disability insurance that can be paid and claimed internationally isn't much of a problem...I'd be happy to give you more information off the boards if you like - just send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

N.

Norm_uk Feb 25th 2009 6:25 am

Hello guys,

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

I work for the only chartered insurance broker in the region - arranging Disability insurance that can be paid and claimed internationally (Austria and/or USA) isn't much of a problem...I'd be happy to give you more information off the boards if you like - just send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

N.

Norm_uk Feb 25th 2009 6:28 am

Am wondering why that was posted twice!

alexalexa Feb 27th 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks for the answers. I wrote you a pm. do most of you guys here in the forum have disability insurance?

Roadking Feb 27th 2009 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by alexalexa (Post 7328868)
Thanks for the answers. I wrote you a pm. do most of you guys here in the forum have disability insurance?

Why? You wanna sell some?

commander Feb 27th 2009 2:34 pm

Did you ever find anywhere to develop your photographs, buy DVD's, do your laundry, get a pizza etc etc

Jim Smith Feb 28th 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7329212)
Did you ever find anywhere to develop your photographs, buy DVD's, do your laundry, get a pizza etc etc

Nice one,Cyril