Dilemma

Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough
Default Dilemma

i am in a dilemma, weeks ago i had accepted a job in dubai and sent of the offer acceptance signed. i was just about to send the stuff off to the company for the visas when i was told 'dont bother' due to the current climate we are not taking on new starts. they did say it wason hold, etc ... but howlong isapeice of string, where do i stand,i would have thought confirming my acceptance of the job ment it should still be a starter.
luckily i had not put in my notice.

thanks for any info, this might be one for any HR people out there.

thanks
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dilemma

Loads of lay offs in Dubai at the moment, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

shouldn't think it means anything...they could have just let you start and make you redundant on day 1...

MM, xx
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

If you are asking are they legally bound then no they are not, not in the uk and certainly not here, I know of engineers who have been out here only a couple of month, uprooetd the family, given up a long term employment in the Uk and they are now looking for another job due to pay offs.
If you are still keen on coming then look elswhere but think over your decision, it was just announced today that Nakheel are to look at their projects with a few to cutting them, certainly there are cuts in finacial sectors and also property.
Having said that I was today offered a position in AD so there are jobs around depending in which avenues you work. Good luck
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

My company just announced both a hiring and salary freeze today. Despite what the directors are saying about the work load being ok, I fully expect layoffs to start in around six months' time.

Luckily my division is small and we pay more than our share, so we'll survive. But the larger divisions will probably start seeing people laid off.

I'd like to add that this firm was so busy that they hired around fifty people this year alone (we're in the architecture profession) and we have several more people due to start by the end of the year. But now projects are being cancelled....it really is a sudden turnabout that many companies are facing.

It could get quite ugly. I would advise all job seekers that right now is not a good time to make the move to Dubai. Wait at least six months for a better picture to emerge. Even if you have an offer, keep the following in mind:

1) it is very expensive to set up life in Dubai, because housing prices are still out of sight, and many apartments and most villas require a year's rent upfront. This kind of commitment is too risky in today's environment.
2) last hired is usually first fired.