Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Did you work harder in the UK than in the Gulf?

Did you work harder in the UK than in the Gulf?

Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default Did you work harder in the UK than in the Gulf?

Hey

Do you think work/office culture is more intense in the UK and that it's an easier ride in the Gulf? Or not?

I'm curious about you guys think/have experienced. So many of my friends say that it's a bit "mickey mouse" over there compared to the UK. Most notably one of my friends at KPMG.

But on the other hand I've been told to expect to work long hours when I start out in Dubai.

Cheers

Saff
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you work harder in the UK than in the Gulf?

I work less hours (probably in the region of 50 hours) compared to the 70+ in the Uk. The work is similar to what i was doing in the UK but much easier. The main advantage here is that there is more variety (possibly as its a smaller company).
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, we rarely work here in Dubai longer than 8am-5pm five days a week and the home-to-work commuter time is 15 minutes. Back in the UK I would often work until 7-8pm and the commute was over 45 minutes. However, I know of others who work more than they used to. Compared to the much easier life in KSA, the motto here in Dubai is that you generally work hard and play hard.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:13 am
NKL
Just Joined

NKL is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in financial markets with the same benchmark, so the goals don't change for me whether I am in London, Dubai or Galapagos Islands. It can be more difficult to achieve objectives when in Dubai/ another location because of the bureaucracies of other departments within your organization, bringing in inefficiencies to the process. Also time difference with UK can be a negative, as is the different weekends to UK/USA.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:25 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKL
I work in financial markets with the same benchmark, so the goals don't change for me whether I am in London, Dubai or Galapagos Islands. It can be more difficult to achieve objectives when in Dubai/ another location because of the bureaucracies of other departments within your organization, bringing in inefficiencies to the process. Also time difference with UK can be a negative, as is the different weekends to UK/USA.
I work longer and harder here than the uk, it was culture in areas I worked to get to the pub by half 5 / 6 then cab home about 8. Certainly more frustrating working here with the authorities and total lack of common sense.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Hey

Do you think work/office culture is more intense in the UK and that it's an easier ride in the Gulf? Or not?

I'm curious about you guys think/have experienced. So many of my friends say that it's a bit "mickey mouse" over there compared to the UK. Most notably one of my friends at KPMG.

But on the other hand I've been told to expect to work long hours when I start out in Dubai.

Cheers

Saff
Don't confuse long hours, hard work and quality.

Here, I see people attending all hours God sends, yet doing little and producing utter shite.

Companies, their management and treatment of staff can also be shambolic. I would put KPMG firmly on that list.

There are also excellent companies - but they are fewer and further between that they would be in the UK.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I worked similar hours, it's just the quality of work was different. I could end up finishing work in the Gulf at gone 10 P.M. as I would be out and about chasing up cheques and otherwise as payment. One happy evening in Qatar, I was given a carrybag with the equivalent of £15,000 in it. I don't think I slept for longer than 5 minutes at a time whilst it was under my roof - I lived in a duff part of Doha east of Al Sadd at the time, and quite a few houses had been burgled, albeit mainly for booze and jewellery, but even so, I didn't fancy that bag of money disappearing much....
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

When I did work here it was way longer hours than the UK. I came from a 37 hour week to a 48 hour week. You get used to it though.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Oh crikey!
Interesting. Thanks for the replies everyone
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Oh crikey!
Interesting. Thanks for the replies everyone
You will find that it's different, and not really comparible, but all been well . you will settle down.
Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

My work hours are 7 to 2ish (rarely its 4), with 15 mins drive each way compared to 9 to 7ish with 1 hour commute each way. So yes a lot better here in ME than in UK. Plus work is a lot easier too, more breaks, less hard work for more money.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A Wesh colleague of mine, now in the Great Classroom in the Sky, used to say," I tried work but I didn't like it, so I came to Saudi Arabia."

RIP Roy Thomas !
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

'Big 4' standard out here is shocking. The quality of work is a joke but as they pay peanuts, they get monkeys.

In Saudi I worked 8 - 4 and the work was OK some days better than others. Now in Doha and working 7am - usually about 6pm, actually meant to finish at 3.30pm. I am expected to deliver and this is the only way to keep on top of things due to endless meetings during the day.

Last edited by MaserMan; Dec 21st 2012 at 7:28 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_%28audit_firms%29

I see. We can learn - even at my advanced age !
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scot47
A Wesh colleague of mine, now in the Great Classroom in the Sky, used to say," I tried work but I didn't like it, so I came to Saudi Arabia."

RIP Roy Thomas !
I liked the middle east, but it burned me out - you wouldn't want a transplant from me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.