Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Diary of a drink driver

Diary of a drink driver

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:15 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diary of a drink driver

http://www.xpress4me.com/news/uae/dubai/20000536.html
Saw this in that new newspaper today, a journalist who woke up in the local nick, interesting.

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:11 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diary of a drink driver

That pretty much tallies with what happened to the people I know who got caught. If more expats realised exactly what Dubai jails were like, you'd see an awful lot less drinking and driving IMHO.

In addition to the jail sentence, you get a driving ban too... one of the guys I know has just come to the end of his. A month in jail followed by a four-month driving ban plus the costs of repairing his car (because he had been drinking he wasn't covered by insurance)... the whole experience cost him about AED 60K and a lot of mental anguish. And all to avoid a 30 dirham taxi fare

Last edited by Eeyore; Mar 23rd 2007 at 3:14 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:13 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
That pretty much tallies with what happened to the people I know who got caught. If more expats realised exactly what Dubai jails were like, you'd see an awful lot less drinking and driving IMHO.
it surprises me they don't deport them. I had heard that it was zero tolerance and deportation, but it mustn't be if that lad has done a month and that was just before christmas. how much sleep you getting?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:25 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it surprises me they don't deport them. I had heard that it was zero tolerance and deportation
I think it depends on how much alcohol's in your blood. On the night he got busted, my friend was told that his blood alcohol reading was such that he could go, and report back to the police station when summoned a few weeks later, but that he was only *just* under the limit for immediate imprisonment.

There was a front-page article in 7 Days about a year ago in which the statistics for drink-driving were published (showing that Brits are some of the worst culprits) and there was a quote from the police to the effect that they were hoping that deportation would become mandatory for first offences. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, but I imagine that as of now you would have a greater chance of being deported for drink-driving if you happen to be from the subcontinent or the Philippines.

And we slept okay last night
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:40 pm
Concierge

I think it depends on how much alcohol's in your blood. On the night he got busted, my friend was told that his blood alcohol reading was such that he could go, and report back to the police station when summoned a few weeks later, but that he was only *just* under the limit for immediate imprisonment.

There was a front-page article in 7 Days about a year ago in which the statistics for drink-driving were published (showing that Brits are some of the worst culprits) and there was a quote from the police to the effect that they were hoping that deportation would become mandatory for first offences. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, but I imagine that as of now you would have a greater chance of being deported for drink-driving if you happen to be from the subcontinent or the Philippines.

another interesting article in that paper was about how asians are treat in nightclubs. I will find the link and start another thread.

I had a friend who was drunk at the wheel and fell asleep! twat! he woke up and went straight to jail for a month.

good news about the kip!!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:01 am
W10

I imagine that as of now you would have a greater chance of being deported for drink-driving if you happen to be from the subcontinent or the Philippines.

It's pretty much nailed on that you will be deported if you are from the sub-continent. If you are a Westener, it depends on how much sway your company has.

And don't get used to sleeping