British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   desert safari (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/desert-safari-478470/)

jvr20 Sep 2nd 2007 9:37 am

desert safari

Hi guys, I'm back in town!

Right I've got my brother staying this weekend and next and it's spurred me into actually going out of town and enjoying the desert.

Months ago i remember seeing *loads* of ads promoting desert safaris by 4x4 convoy including buffets, all water and drinks provided and with the option of entertainment (belly dancers i take it) and some with the option of camping out as well...

but now try as I might I can't see anythign online that looks familiar from the flyers i saw ages ago.

Hence my question to the boards - has anyone used a company for this (I want to do it this way due to not having my own transport, also could be much more fun in a group of other newbies rather than just being my brother and me, plus safer) and any companies to recommend / avoid?

ta muchly!

Paidtoplease Sep 2nd 2007 9:48 am

Re: desert safari

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5263095)

Right I've got my brother staying this weekend and next and it's spurred me into actually going out of town and enjoying the desert.

Months ago i remember seeing *loads* of ads promoting desert safaris by 4x4 convoy including buffets, all water and drinks provided and with the option of entertainment (belly dancers i take it) and some with the option of camping out as well...

but now try as I might I can't see anythign online that looks familiar from the flyers i saw ages ago.

Hence my question to the boards - has anyone used a company for this (I want to do it this way due to not having my own transport, also could be much more fun in a group of other newbies rather than just being my brother and me, plus safer) and any companies to recommend / avoid?

ta muchly!

I have used www.viator.com 4 times now and it has been good all times, you can book on line, often it depends on the driver to how good or bad it is but normally it has been good..they will pick you up at normally the nearest hotel or sometimes home addresses, also re how many are in the vehicle depends on the day and how many booked...all that I have taken on the Safai and evening belly dance meal have always had a good time...most hotels in Dubai will have conrtact re who they are teamed up with as well.

beebee Sep 2nd 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5263095)

ta muchly!

Hi
We used Arabian nights.. they were excellent, we used one of the vouchers from the entertainer so only one of us paid .. we got friendly with our driver who owned part of the company and at the end of the night he gave us the voucher back to use again. I have his number if you want it. And if you don't want to buy the entertainer I will give you a voucher.

littlejimmy Sep 2nd 2007 9:56 am

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 5263148)
Hi
We used Arabian nights.. they were excellent, we used one of the vouchers from the entertainer so only one of us paid .. we got friendly with our driver who owned part of the company and at the end of the night he gave us the voucher back to use again. I have his number if you want it. And if you don't want to buy the entertainer I will give you a voucher.

There's another one in the Entertainer (or it was last year) whose name escpaes me. We did one with Arabian Nights, and one with the other...and the other one was much better. If I remember the name, I'll post it.

Paidtoplease Sep 2nd 2007 9:58 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 5263166)
There's another one in the Entertainer (or it was last year) whose name escpaes me. We did one with Arabian Nights, and one with the other...and the other one was much better. If I remember the name, I'll post it.

Was it Sundowner ???

MataHari Sep 2nd 2007 10:05 am

ummmmmm...it's a bit too hot to go into the desert...unless you go early morning around 05.00...

beebee Sep 2nd 2007 10:06 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 5263166)

Think its Desert Dreams..

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2007 10:46 am

JVR20, go and buy a copy of a book called Entertainer. It is 175 dhs and it is full of vouchers to use, buy one get one free, there is a great Desert thing in there and the big bus and loads of stuff, it will save you a fortune.

jvr20 Sep 2nd 2007 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5263332)
JVR20, go and buy a copy of a book called Entertainer. It is 175 dhs and it is full of vouchers to use, buy one get one free, there is a great Desert thing in there and the big bus and loads of stuff, it will save you a fortune.

ace, will pop into Spinneys Sharjah on the way back from work.

I feel like a proper little jet setter coming straight off the flight into the office this morning :)

Birmingham flight absolutey chocker.

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2007 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5263377)

I feel like a proper little jet setter coming straight off the flight into the office this morning :)

jet set JVR!

Inselaffen Sep 2nd 2007 11:29 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5263377)

all those Brum refugees seeking asylum here! :rofl:

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2007 11:40 am

vouchers so far for JVR
Desert Rangers (safari)
Danat Dubai (cruises)
Counter Strikes (paintball)
Arabian Nights (safari)
Cinestar (VIP movie pass)
Bowling City
Wonderland
Big Bus
Al Boom Diving
Adventureland
Wild Wadi

:thumbsup:

Paidtoplease Sep 2nd 2007 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5263479)
vouchers so far for JVR
Desert Rangers (safari)
Danat Dubai (cruises)
Counter Strikes (paintball)
Arabian Nights (safari)
Cinestar (VIP movie pass)
Bowling City
Wonderland
Big Bus
Al Boom Diving
Adventureland
Wild Wadi

:thumbsup:

BC I think you need to change you name to St BLUE CAT :thumbsup:

oktoberon Sep 2nd 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5263495)

I'll second the beautification process:thumbsup:

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2007 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5263495)

I aint finished yet, just sorting out all the Sharjah restaurants as well.