Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Desert driving lessons

Desert driving lessons

Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desert driving lessons

Maybe I was unlucky with AD4x4. I should try them again - I just hate being told to sit and wait for 10-20 mins while they pull someone out. I think I went on the wrong trip.

TBH I have way more fun going out with a few like minded mates. We do what we want and (touch wood) we haven't got stuck yet
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desert driving lessons

Chris,
maybe worth another go. I went out with them 3 times and each time on a newbie trip with the full briefing at the beginning
Reason being was first time out; I knew absolutely nothing about driving in sand and wanted some instruction from folks who had been doing it for years. That was in my Expedition and yes it got stuck though mostly due to my lack of knowledge on approach speed when cresting
Second time out was in a Prado so that I could start to enjoy the dunes in something suitable and to find out what it could do in a safe environment
and third trip was because I had my father in law out and he wanted to learn about the theory behind it
All were with different instructors and all were very different in presentation styles.
On every occassion people got stuck and that is part of the fun and also how people learn not to do it again. There was always a mix of vehicles from tricked out CJ's to Kia's to the Porsche Cayenne I mentioned in a previous post which surprised everyone with its capabilities

Give it another go. The advanced learner sessions are supposed to great fun and you may find those are more challenging