Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Degrees for Construction Work?

Degrees for Construction Work?

Old May 26th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Degrees for Construction Work?

I have been looking through the posts on this site over the requirements for degrees if you want to work in Dubai, and I seem to keep finding conflicting results.

I am coming to Dubai for a weeks holiday on 19/06/08 to see if I like the place and hopefully to see a couple of companies about work, however I have written to quite a few agencies out there, but seem to be getting a slow response, or no response in most cases.

I would like to point out that I currently work for a major company who have serious activites in Dubai and I should be OK for a start with them, however I wanted to see what other companies were offering, especially with regards to the accommodation and school costs.

What are the experiences of the members of this board with regards to qualifications needed to work in Dubai, are degrees essential or just preferred?

I notice that some people mention that the freezone areas are less stringent, but I'm at a loss as to exactly how this works.

Can someone please give me some sound advice as I'm due out in just over 3 weeks and would like to know how to proceed?

Thanks
Old May 26th 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

fsazhar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Degrees for Construction Work?

Originally Posted by markhighpeak
I have been looking through the posts on this site over the requirements for degrees if you want to work in Dubai, and I seem to keep finding conflicting results.

I am coming to Dubai for a weeks holiday on 19/06/08 to see if I like the place and hopefully to see a couple of companies about work, however I have written to quite a few agencies out there, but seem to be getting a slow response, or no response in most cases.

I would like to point out that I currently work for a major company who have serious activites in Dubai and I should be OK for a start with them, however I wanted to see what other companies were offering, especially with regards to the accommodation and school costs.

What are the experiences of the members of this board with regards to qualifications needed to work in Dubai, are degrees essential or just preferred?

I notice that some people mention that the freezone areas are less stringent, but I'm at a loss as to exactly how this works.

Can someone please give me some sound advice as I'm due out in just over 3 weeks and would like to know how to proceed?

Thanks

Hi For most Managerial roles they expect Western Expats to hold Degrees... altough there could be exceptions, such as construction managers, since their work is mainly field work.

I have collegues here who come from UK and hold no degree but over 18-20 years of field experience in construction. But Since I hold a degree I get same job with 10 years of experience. Thats the main difference!
Old May 26th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi fsazhar

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad you mention Construction Managers as that is my current role, so hopefully I should be fine. I just need to get my foot in the door of say, 2 companies.

I shall continue in my hunt for work
Old May 27th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

in construction and oil gas type positions, degree's are not crucial even for management, the company will work round any legeslation that the FZE or municipality will require.

More important is experience..
Old May 27th 2008, 6:55 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
in construction and oil gas type positions, degree's are not crucial even for management, the company will work round any legeslation that the FZE or municipality will require.

More important is experience..
Have to agree with AA.... The right experience is far more important in certain sectors than a degree.....

If I was ever asked to talk about the line of work that is on my visa, Id be lost.. They just selected a job title that the visa folk wouldnt need a degree for...
Old May 27th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Have to agree with AA.... The right experience is far more important in certain sectors than a degree.....

If I was ever asked to talk about the line of work that is on my visa, Id be lost.. They just selected a job title that the visa folk wouldnt need a degree for...
yea im a 'mechanical engineer'

I dont even now how an engine works...
Old May 27th 2008, 6:59 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
yea im a 'mechanical engineer'

I dont even now how an engine works...
I appear to be an Oil Installation Engineer..... How can I install oil???
Old May 27th 2008, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Experience certainly counts more than degrees. I've got too many qualifications yet I live in a crappy shared villa and earn peanuts.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I appear to be an Oil Installation Engineer..... How can I install oil???
is that no the sticky stuff that a mechanic pours in the wee hole on the top of the engine??

think its to make the car go faster.....
Old May 27th 2008, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

SkyBlueBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

You dont state your age but I got a job out there as a project engineer and go out on the 12th july and im 24. I do have a degree in construction engineering and management but from how its been explained to me is that over the last 10 years construction firms in dubai have paid major wages to get the "best" which in construction normally means experience. They have wised up to this and now sorting younger people with the drive to be the best in an effort to learn from the "best". I applied for a job through hill mcgynn and within 3 weeks was offered the position with the biggest construction firm out there. I asked if this would of been possible with out a degree and the straight answer was not impossible with relevant experience but not much chance bean so young. Hope this helps.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

it may have changed recently because of the 'boom' but in the past in abu dhabi at least you had to have a degree to be able to work for the companies here, ie on the government jobs, as you have to be approved by the municpality or PWD etc, and they must tick their little boxes and one of those was a degree, otherwise you would not be allowed to work here, but it may have been relaxed a little depending on the work and the company. One time we had a bloke who had a masters degree but he was not allowed to come and work for the company here because he was 'over' qualified, they couldnt tick the box that said b.ed or basically a 'normal' degree, try telling them that he had a better degree but no couldnt tick the box..!
Old May 27th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Some good replies on here and thanks.

I just dont understand that after writing to a few agencies, I keep getting the response "it's difficult without a degree", and this is from Hill McGlynn, Concur, Cerebra plus a few others, I've not heard back from BBT or Digby Morris yet. However, if I was in England I'd have no problem getting a job with someone else (not boasting), as I have over 15 years construction experience and currently work as a Construction Manager for one of the biggest UK companies.

I find it all strange, but will on trying.
Old May 28th 2008, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

fsazhar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markhighpeak

Thanks

Send me your CV we are always looking for Good Construction Managers at Al Raha Beach Project...
Old May 28th 2008, 6:48 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who was given a high up position within construction, had years of experience but did not have a degree and so the company had to tell him he had been knocked back in his visa application due to lack of qualifications and he could not come out here and work!
Old May 28th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

i find a lot of this hard to believe to be honest...

I have never heard in AD or DxB anyone having this problem.

if a company wants you but you dont have a degree, the contract that the company submits to the municipality will be adjusted..

i.e Project Manager will become Project Assistant

or in my case

Electrical Engineering Manager becomes Mechanical engineer

etc etc

If they want you, they will get round it FACT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.