Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Degree recognition (if coming to Holland)

Degree recognition (if coming to Holland)

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:08 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of
Default Degree recognition (if coming to Holland)

Hi JJ,

Holland doesn't know the so called "State Board Exam" system. But this doesn't mean you can just simply come over here and start working. As you come from a country that isn't an EU member, you will require a work permit and residence visa as well. It's time consuming, but in 99% of the cases they are issued, esspecially if a Dutch employer, or in your case a Dutch University, has already formally invited you to work for them. As for your degrees? There is a website you can go to that will answer most of your questions. It's http://www.ibgroep.nl/ just clik on the "International Visitor" (I think it was that).

And... It's expensive! I've been told that for a medical degree like yours it can easily cost €5.000 to €10.000 to get it recognized! And that per Degree offered to them as well. However, I've been told that the Radboud University in most cases will refund 80% to 100% of this amount. Disadvantage of this refunding system is that they can demand from you that you work for them for atleast a period of two years. One big advantage is that once your Degree(s) are recognized in Holland, all other EU states will automatically accept them.

But, good friends of mine that have also gone through the process of degree recognition have warned me that it's a very time consuming process, meaning it can easily take 3 to 6 months or even longer. The good thing is, you can apply for recognition maximum 2 years prior to coming to Holland. A wise thing to do is that once they are recognized, have them verified by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The website is as follows:

http://www.minbuza.nl

I took the liberty of calling them and was told that once the degrees where recognized and legalized, you have 12 months time to offer them for stamping. Costs are €150 per degree. And the recognition is valid until the year you reach 65. You can even send the degree's via UPS to them, provided a "return to" prepaid UPS envellope is added.

Email me when your in Holland okay? I can set up some apointments with people that can guide you along. And there's a big expat community here as well. My advise? Play the connections game, it's always good to have them.

Frans

Last edited by Frans Wind; Jun 2nd 2005 at 8:13 am.