Reload this Page >

Degree confusion...

Degree confusion...

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

safcexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Degree confusion...

Hi

Looking for some absolute clarification on when you do/don't need a degree for work in UAE.

Are there certain roles and/or grades where you must always have a degree, some where you never do, or is it all just open to discussion?

The employer I am working with for a role know I do not have a degree, they have interviewed me over the phone then flew me over for a second interview - but some places I read that you simply cannot be granted a working visa (or there are a lot of restrictions even if you are) without a degree.

Can anyone confirm one way or another please?

Thanks very much.

PS. Tried searching the forums 1st but still not certain so best to ask I think.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:18 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Degree confusion...

Originally Posted by safcexpat
Hi

Looking for some absolute clarification on when you do/don't need a degree for work in UAE.

Are there certain roles and/or grades where you must always have a degree, some where you never do, or is it all just open to discussion?

The employer I am working with for a role know I do not have a degree, they have interviewed me over the phone then flew me over for a second interview - but some places I read that you simply cannot be granted a working visa (or there are a lot of restrictions even if you are) without a degree.

Can anyone confirm one way or another please?

Thanks very much.

PS. Tried searching the forums 1st but still not certain so best to ask I think.
Firstly, I am not an expert in this area, so cannot guarantee my response is correct, however:
1. I would imagine each job has it's own set of qualifications required. Teaching would require a degree or equivalent in the subject and/or age range specific to the job. I don't think someone selling real estate over here would require similar.
2.In light of the above, it will probably depend on the type of job you have applied for.
3.Some companies will (illegally) get your visa for an unrelated job, then put you at work. We had 2 people at our place whose visa said 'office clerk' when in fact they were teachers (one was the Deputy Head).
4.My work visa took 7 months because my degree certificate did not mention the subject I was being employed for. I had to get notarised references from a previous employer, plus the awarding body for my degree to verify my qualification to teach my subject.

Two things I would suggest you are aware of:
1.Your employer may ask you to work whilst they process your work visa, and to go for 'visa runs' to renew your visitor visa until the work visa comes through. I think this will mean you would be working illegally - something to check out.
2.Likewise,if your employer gets your work visa as an 'office clerk' when in fact you are working as e.g. a boat designer, I think this is against labour laws and could end up with you either in jail or deported.

I am sure others will further clarify the situation.

Last edited by Victor Meldrew; Jan 4th 2014 at 6:20 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Firstly, I am not an expert in this area, so cannot guarantee my response is correct, however:
1. I would imagine each job has it's own set of qualifications required. Teaching would require a degree or equivalent in the subject and/or age range specific to the job. I don't think someone selling real estate over here would require similar.
2.In light of the above, it will probably depend on the type of job you have applied for.
3.Some companies will (illegally) get your visa for an unrelated job, then put you at work. We had 2 people at our place whose visa said 'office clerk' when in fact they were teachers (one was the Deputy Head).
4.My work visa took 7 months because my degree certificate did not mention the subject I was being employed for. I had to get notarised references from a previous employer, plus the awarding body for my degree to verify my qualification to teach my subject.

Two things I would suggest you are aware of:
1.Your employer may ask you to work whilst they process your work visa, and to go for 'visa runs' to renew your visitor visa until the work visa comes through. I think this will mean you would be working illegally - something to check out.
2.Likewise,if your employer gets your work visa as an 'office clerk' when in fact you are working as e.g. a boat designer, I think this is against labour laws and could end up with you either in jail or deported.

I am sure others will further clarify the situation.
Thanks for the response. It would all have to be legal for me to even consider a position, would not want to be running the risk of jail etc! Just cannot seem to find anything which clearly states when a degree is absolutely required, for the visa.

I know some places do say on a job advert that they require a degree, so that is fair enough. This place did not ask for a degree however, but then someone mentioned that they believe degree is required for the visa, even if not for the job. That is what has me concerned.

Maybe it simply is a case-by-case basis and that is why there is no clear guidance available?!

The job would be in the IT space, not teaching or a skilled worker (manual) - will try and speak again with their HR department and see if they can give me a clear answer.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE, it depends on the role as whether a degree is needed or not.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:49 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by safcexpat
Thanks for the response. It would all have to be legal for me to even consider a position, would not want to be running the risk of jail etc! Just cannot seem to find anything which clearly states when a degree is absolutely required, for the visa.

I know some places do say on a job advert that they require a degree, so that is fair enough. This place did not ask for a degree however, but then someone mentioned that they believe degree is required for the visa, even if not for the job. That is what has me concerned.

Maybe it simply is a case-by-case basis and that is why there is no clear guidance available?!

The job would be in the IT space, not teaching or a skilled worker (manual) - will try and speak again with their HR department and see if they can give me a clear answer.
I would imagine a degree isn't compulsory for employment in Dubai as there are 1000's of people in jobs like shop work, cleaning, building labour.

I would ask the HR department:
"What qualifications will the Dubai authorities expect me to have in order to provide me with a work visa?"
"Am I right in assuming that, without a work visa I will be unable to work in Dubai legally?" followed with "So can I assume that, until the company provide me with a work visa I will not be expected to some to work/do any work, but will be paid?"

If they say you need specific qualifications/certificates for your job/work permit, you may need to get these notarised and certified.

Also, don't commit to anything, or resign from current post until you have a contract.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 4th 2014, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both for the valuable info.

Hopefully experience will be enough. Have loads of experience so hopefully that's why the company don't seem to care I don't have a degree.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

in engineering you need a degree.... unless you transfer from a company from uk etc that knows your experience... but for that type of work you will need a degree for them to tick their boxes here.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Until recently (and for all I know, still now - but rules change all the time, so you need to ask...) if you didn't have a degree, your visa-status would have more restrictions about changing jobs etc. We brought in a few highly qualified people whose degrees turned out not to be recognised in the UAE - they all ended up on clerks visas (it couldn't say "manager"), which had no impact on anything other than their ability to swap jobs without a risk of a labour ban. Salary, real job-title, allowances etc were all treated as if the degree was recognised. However, I think the rules on labour bans have also been relaxed recently - someone else will probably know better (Meow...?).
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

I dont have a degree and have had at least 5 visa's all stamped manager. Apart from Teaching and maybe engineering i think you will be fine.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 10:51 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

It may also make a difference whether you'll be working in a free zone or not. As a rule, you don't need a degree to work in a FZ, but individual companies within the zone are free to make it a requirement of their hiring policy if they wish.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
I dont have a degree and have had at least 5 visa's all stamped manager. Apart from Teaching and maybe engineering i think you will be fine.
for teaching in brit sch require 2 years of experience etc... engineering really you need to have a degree etc... but otherwise "manager" on your visa works well.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:14 am
Just Joined

A lot of great advice above, thanks everyone - also confirmed with HR again and they are still saying not required - so I will sleep easier now