Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Degree attestation- Help please!

Degree attestation- Help please!

Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:54 pm
Banned

Groovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura about
Default Degree attestation- Help please!

My friend has recently got a job offer in Dubai and she needs to get her degree attested. Shes got her first signature and just sent her degree to FCO today.

Here the problem. Shes had her degree certificate signed by a solicitor rather than a notary public.

Do you think her documents are going to be sent back from FCO un stamped?

Or will this suffice?

Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Degree attestation- Help please!

it's fine. I got mine signed by a solicitor for £2.50 per cert instead of the £50 by a notary then to the fco, then to the Uae embassy. As long as the solicitor is legit, should be fine.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:39 pm
Banned

Groovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura about

Oh that's a relief I was getting a headache just thinking about the long procedure shes going to have to go through now!

Can you tell me how long FCO took to get your documents back to you?

Not sure if I mentioned in my original post but I ask because I didn't actually need to get all this done when I flew out.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

i went there myself so don't know how long it will take by post.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:34 pm
IOGM

Spikus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Groovychick
My friend has recently got a job offer in Dubai and she needs to get her degree attested. Shes got her first signature and just sent her degree to FCO today.

Here the problem. Shes had her degree certificate signed by a solicitor rather than a notary public.

Do you think her documents are going to be sent back from FCO un stamped?

Or will this suffice?

Groovy... I wish your friend luck! I recently accepted a position in Abu Dhabi. Visa requirements include degree certif, marriage certif and kid's birth certif attested by UAE Embassy in country of origin. Problem is I live in Canada and country of origin is UK. OK so arrange for company solicitor in London to receive originals, have copies notarised and then hand carry originals + notarised copies to embassy for attestation. Sounds good so far? Unfortunately embassy state they need 2 weeks to attest.... has now been 3 weeks and still waiting.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:15 pm
Banned

Ohh Spikus poor you. Is there a deadline you need the documents back by?

The problem with my friend is that her company has booked her flight for 20th August. If she doesn't get her docs by then it means canceling the flight.

I guess its even more complicated for you because the embassy is taking so long. Usually I hear you can go on the day to embassy and get your docs back after a few hours with their day service.

For my friend the main issue is the FCO returning her degree certificate. They say they take only 48 hours from point of receiving to sending back out but I am reading alot of different stories!

Goodluck mate I hope it all works out well and within your time frame!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:41 pm
IOGM

Spikus will become famous soon enough

Ohh Spikus poor you. Is there a deadline you need the documents back by?

The problem with my friend is that her company has booked her flight for 20th August. If she doesn't get her docs by then it means canceling the flight.

I guess its even more complicated for you because the embassy is taking so long. Usually I hear you can go on the day to embassy and get your docs back after a few hours with their day service.

For my friend the main issue is the FCO returning her degree certificate. They say they take only 48 hours from point of receiving to sending back out but I am reading alot of different stories!

Goodluck mate I hope it all works out well and within your time frame!
Thanks Groovy. The last time I lived in UAE was the mid-nineties and it all seemed much easier. Anyway, as my mum used to say "it will all come out in the wash"..... Insallah

Funny thing is we are also book to fly on Aug 20th.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:02 am
Banned

Inshallah hope it works out lets keep each other posted on progress!

ps what a coincidence on flying dates
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I went tup to Milton Keynes myself as thought it would be far easier to get it done and dusted- still a pain in the arse, I had't got them signed so got sent next door to a solicitors where there was conveniently a man waiting for me as he'd seen me coming staight out, I'm sure he's onto a nice little earner as only accepted cash can't rememeber how much it was - 10 quid a pop I think, then went back through the security checks and back up, an hour later it was all done, so realtively stress free.

Then getting everything to the Dubai embassy was even easier- then had everything signed off within 2 hours so just went and sat in Hyde Park and had a lunch- was a really nice day rather than packing and all the other stress related things connected with packing!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:14 am
Banned

Kitty you didnt do this in a day did you? The reason I ask is because my friend considered going FCO and embassy herself all in one day until she realised embassy is only open 9am-12pm and there was no chance of her getting from FCO in Milton Keynes to London by 12pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

No I did it over two days, I think you would have to be superman to get it done in one day!

Having said that, if you are there early- 8.30am and have the documents signed already then you could be done by 10 in theory then floor it to Knightsbridge and get in in by 12- maybe but could be quite stressful and your relying on everyone being good at their jobs, traffic/trains being on time etc.

Last edited by kittycat1; Jul 28th 2010 at 7:22 am.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:23 am
Banned

I just hope FCO send back her degree certificate soon otherwise she is bummered
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:54 am
Just Joined

kidsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Groovychick, I am another soon to be resident of the Sandpit. I did the FCO and embassy in person and it was pain free. If your friend is anywhere near Milton Keynes she should ring and see if the docs are available for a pick up. I found them very helpful for a Govt org.

For the UAE Embassy, based on my experience my top tips would be to get the train to West Kensington station (follow signs for Albert Hall) and aim to be in the queue for 11. I found most of the queue was done by this time (I had 1 person in front of me). Pay the extra £10 per cert for the day service, then have a wander round the museums and grab some lunch. Be outside the door for 1:45. They let you back in at 2 and the counter opens at 2:30 and job done.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:02 am
Banned

Hey there kidsam,

Thanks for the advise!

I guess at the moment she is just hoping that FCO will return her docs soon so she can go to the uae embassy in person.

I'll advise her that if she doesn't get it back by Tuesday that she should call up and arrange to go in person to collect.

kidsam when do you fly out and what will you be doing?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:13 am
Just Joined

kidsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there kidsam,

Thanks for the advise!

I guess at the moment she is just hoping that FCO will return her docs soon so she can go to the uae embassy in person.

I'll advise her that if she doesn't get it back by Tuesday that she should call up and arrange to go in person to collect.

kidsam when do you fly out and what will you be doing?
Hi Groovy, I arrive mid September and going to be living in AD. Going to be working for a large local company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.