Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Decent Wine in Dubai?

Decent Wine in Dubai?

Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

ssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud of
Default Decent Wine in Dubai?

Want to go out on Wednesday for a glass of wine with a friend over from the UK.

I'm not looking for 500dhs+ a bottle type stuff just somewhere with a little bit more of a selection than one house white or one house red.

A half decent Burgundy; Rully, Meursault or Givry would be ideal.

Anyone out there with some suggestions where we might go?

thanks
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent Wine in Dubai?

most places have a pretty good selection to be honest...try the agency in the madinat or emirates towers, or vintage in wafi (they do decent cheeses there too)...

...mind you, a meursault is going to cost over 500 dhs for sure...

MM, xx

Last edited by Madam Medusa; Jun 30th 2008 at 6:02 am.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

just noticed you're in the marina, you could also go to the buddha bar or barr 44 in the grosvenor...

MM, xx
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

definitely agree about the Agency in the Madinat. very nice wine.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:08 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
just noticed you're in the marina, you could also go to the buddha bar or barr 44 in the grosvenor...

MM, xx
I agree with MD, though Buddha bar can be noisy at times (big crowd) and Bar 44 can be a little bit expensive.

A good alternative..my favourite... is Munchi Thai restaurant in the gardens of the Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa near Dubai Marina. They have a large and inexpensive wine list and you can sit outside in the garden area next to the babbling brook. You can also go inside (upstairs with A/C) and can smoke too if you wish. You don't have to buy food - they are happy to get all customers...though sharing a light mixed entree (dim sums, satays etc) with your wine would be nice. You can also get a decent cup of coffee.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:26 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
I agree with MD, though Buddha bar can be noisy at times (big crowd) and Bar 44 can be a little bit expensive.

A good alternative..my favourite... is Munchi Thai restaurant in the gardens of the Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa near Dubai Marina. They have a large and inexpensive wine list and you can sit outside in the garden area next to the babbling brook. You can also go inside (upstairs with A/C) and can smoke too if you wish. You don't have to buy food - they are happy to get all customers...though sharing a light mixed entree (dim sums, satays etc) with your wine would be nice. You can also get a decent cup of coffee.
that sounds brilliant....I wouldn't mind doing that now.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

ssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spugsy
that sounds brilliant....I wouldn't mind doing that now.
Thanks to all

Some decent suggestions......

BB is my local as I live right next door and yes MM you are right the restaurant has a massive selection albeit well overpriced. However I see it more of a cocktail, rather than a "savour the bouquet" type place

Bar 44 would be my first choice for the ambience alone if only I could guarantee some seating. Always at a premium and the bar itself can be a bloody scum.

Hadn't heard about the Academy nor Munchi.... may well give one of them a try...

will report back Thursday

thanks again
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

...mind you, a meursault is going to cost over 500 dhs for sure...

MM, xx
Too true.... Have not been in Dubai very long but the price of wine has been a bit of an eye opener for sure....

Not sure if its the importers or just a local tax to try and discourage...would suggest the former than the latter though
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:01 am