Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dare I say..........construction in the middle east?

Dare I say..........construction in the middle east?

Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Richard_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dare I say..........construction in the middle east?

What with the worlds economy in meltdown and the UAE saying goodbye to many of the construction expats are any of the gulf states actually suffering less than Dubai and AD.

Until about three months ago I was seriously considering a move to the UAE to work as a Commercial Manager [or something similar] but then the horror stories started coming out, people being left without roles, mass redundancies etc so I have therefore turned down the gas a bit. However many of the generic job sites are still advertising good positions in saudi / oman / qatar / bahrain etc. [in addition to positions still on offer in Dubai and AD!?] and I am wondering if any of these states are worth considering as a more stable option due to their wealth being based on different foundations. If they are which is the best all round choice?

I am not desperate to move atall, but it is very much on the list of things to do, so I will probably do it at some point. My timing is obviously shocking and my job in the UK is as secure as I could hope it to be so there is a strong case for staying put for a while.

I have seen many roles in contracting / pqs 'ing and also in the oil / gas industry, all of them commercial roles.

Go easy, I have feelings you know!.....lol

Rich.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dare I say..........construction in the middle east?

Well, I would avoid Dubai..and since as much of the surplus capacity there is redirected to Abu Dhabi that might not be that good either.

But basically Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Saudi are still building a lot.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:56 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, not the best timing... http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?...de=3132361&c=1
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:01 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard_T
What with the worlds economy in meltdown and the UAE saying goodbye to many of the construction expats are any of the gulf states actually suffering less than Dubai and AD.

Until about three months ago I was seriously considering a move to the UAE to work as a Commercial Manager [or something similar] but then the horror stories started coming out, people being left without roles, mass redundancies etc so I have therefore turned down the gas a bit. However many of the generic job sites are still advertising good positions in saudi / oman / qatar / bahrain etc. [in addition to positions still on offer in Dubai and AD!?] and I am wondering if any of these states are worth considering as a more stable option due to their wealth being based on different foundations. If they are which is the best all round choice?

I am not desperate to move atall, but it is very much on the list of things to do, so I will probably do it at some point. My timing is obviously shocking and my job in the UK is as secure as I could hope it to be so there is a strong case for staying put for a while.

I have seen many roles in contracting / pqs 'ing and also in the oil / gas industry, all of them commercial roles.

Go easy, I have feelings you know!.....lol

Rich.

would highly advise you stay where you. if you have a safe and secure job in the UK right now then you are very fortunate

workwise, if I were looking, Saudi would be top of my list for the safest bet for a secure long term role

Abu Dhabi firms are still recruiting but the amount of people applying for every role now is very high and employers will look favourably on those with Middle Eastern experience
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Dont even consider Abu Dhabi, yes there is still a lot going on but a helluva has been shelved including much of ARB (before anyone asks!)

Qatar looks promising but I know of a supplier that is owed approximately
30m DHS from a massive global construction company over there!

Their excuse, we aren't getting paid so we cant pay you!

The government in Qatar are in the middle of reviewing their budgets so no money is being released, 'pay when paid' clause doesn't apply over in Qatar!

My advice FWIW, if you have a steady job at the minute, stick with it for now and consider the ME when the worldwide economy picks up, it will boom again and its a great place to be, its just a matter of when!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Olan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I am the producer of Middle East Business Report, a weekly business programme that braodcast on BBC World News -- one of our reporters in travelling to Qatar in a week's time and I am looking for a family who just moved to Qatar from other places in the gulf like the UAE following the massive project cancellations that happened there. Does anyone know of such a family we would like to interview them .. Thanks, Ola