British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Cypriot Marriage Certificate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cypriot-marriage-certificate-550146/)

Diane Parkins Jul 20th 2008 5:11 pm

Cypriot Marriage Certificate

Hello

I am moving to Dubai end of August with my Hisband and 6 year old daughter and we have just found out that our Cypriot mariage certificate needs loads of stuff done to it before it will be accepted by the UAE Embassy in London, we are thinking of just getting another civil ceremony done her in the UK to save all the hassle, has anyone else found a way round this problem.

Still could be cool two anniversary pressies from hubby each year:

MataHari Jul 20th 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Cypriot Marriage Certificate

Originally Posted by Diane Parkins (Post 6591538)
Hello

I am moving to Dubai end of August with my Hisband and 6 year old daughter and we have just found out that our Cypriot mariage certificate needs loads of stuff done to it before it will be accepted by the UAE Embassy in London, we are thinking of just getting another civil ceremony done her in the UK to save all the hassle, has anyone else found a way round this problem.

the fun of that will wear off in a few years...

anyway...welcome to the forum...

The Dean Jul 20th 2008 5:28 pm

Hello

Get divorced, come out here separately, then remarry in Dubai..........

And no, I'm not joking.......

MrsHaps Jul 20th 2008 5:30 pm

Hello

wont save the hassle hun, the wedding certificate still needs to be stamped by the British embassy in london then the UAE embassy.

Ive also got a Cypriot marriage cert, i had to go to the Cypriot office, wait in the que, got it stamped, then off to the british embassy for them to stamp it all before going to the UAE embassy for them to stamp it. Cypriot to say that it is a cypriot marriage cert, british to say that yes the cypriot says it is real, the UAE to stamp to say yes the british say it is real because the cypriot say it is real!

A full day in london on various tube trains, fricken nightmare but had to be done! I posted a on this a while ago, cant even remember what i titled it (attested process or something) but it tells you exactly what tubes to get and the office times. There are apparently some solicitiors that will do it all for you, dont know the cost.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

MrsHaps Jul 20th 2008 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6591595)
Get divorced, come out here separately, then remarry in Dubai..........

And no, I'm not joking.......

Whey aye.... now that sounds straight forward!!!! I should have though of that rather than spending a day in London!! :rofl:

Inselaffen Jul 20th 2008 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6591602)
wont save the hassle hun, the wedding certificate still needs to be stamped by the British embassy in london then the UAE embassy.

Ive also got a Cypriot marriage cert, i had to go to the Cypriot office, wait in the que, got it stamped, then off to the british embassy for them to stamp it all before going to the UAE embassy for them to stamp it. Cypriot to say that it is a cypriot marriage cert, british to say that yes the cypriot says it is real, the UAE to stamp to say yes the british say it is real because the cypriot say it is real!

A full day in london on various tube trains, fricken nightmare but had to be done! I posted a on this a while ago, cant even remember what i titled it (attested process or something) but it tells you exactly what tubes to get and the office times. There are apparently some solicitiors that will do it all for you, dont know the cost.

i never knew we had an embassy in London :p

TGFKASE Jul 21st 2008 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6591889)

Its because you are becoming a minority in your own country.......

MrsHaps Jul 21st 2008 5:21 am

Embassy, consulate..... they all equal QUES!!!!!!! :rofl:

Norm_uk Jul 21st 2008 5:29 am

It's not official as the government hasn't renamed it Londonistan yet but the Embassy is up and running to deal with visa issues for people traveling to other countries like Oxfordshire, Wales etc ;)

N.

TGFKASE Jul 21st 2008 5:30 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6593072)
Embassy, consulate..... they all equal QUES!!!!!!! :rofl:

So what is the UK's standing with Britain? Do we get a consulate, an embassy or a mission???

twinkle-star Jul 21st 2008 7:21 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6591602)

Did it have to be translated from cypriot to Arabic anywhere along the line?
And when you say solicitors do you mean out here or back in the the cold UK?

Karlos The Jackal Jul 21st 2008 7:22 am

For Info - You can have your marriage certificate stamped in both the embassies in Abu Dhabi

Work are currenty sorting mine out, 2 x kids birth certs & 1 x marriage certs 900Dhm !

Saves messing about in London !

twinkle-star Jul 21st 2008 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 6593400)
For Info - You can have your marriage certificate stamped in both the embassies in Abu Dhabi

Work are currenty sorting mine out, 2 x kids birth certs & 1 x marriage certs 900Dhm !

Saves messing about in London !

I got married in mexico so have the same situation of getting the cert stamped by the embassy's. I dont think my hubbies work do it?
They only do the visa!

MrsHaps Jul 21st 2008 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6593395)
Did it have to be translated from cypriot to Arabic anywhere along the line?
And when you say solicitors do you mean out here or back in the the cold UK?

I was told there was solicitors in the UK who would, for a fee, take care of all attested documentation.

As for it being transcribed, i presume this has been done here however it had to be attested before we arrived. To be honest i have seen it since we arrived almost 7 weeks ago. Saying that i still dont have my spouse visa back so i can only presume it is with my passport.

Diane Parkins Jul 23rd 2008 10:15 pm

At last managed to find the right place in Cyprus to send the marriage certificate to (I hope) now on its way there by DHL will post the details if it all comes back completed.