Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Crossing the Yellow Line (Driving on the shoulder of a street)

Crossing the Yellow Line (Driving on the shoulder of a street)

Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:44 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all
Default Re: Crossing the Yellow Line (Driving on the shoulder of a street)

Originally Posted by Face81
oh and spreading such info in the international media isnt something ANY country would be very happy to do.
Indeed. And "Israel" is no exception. So imagine HOW MANY fatalities do NOT get reported. :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:47 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Indeed. And "Israel" is no exception. So imagine HOW MANY fatalities do NOT get reported. :scared: :scared:
I don't side either Israel or Palestinian, but the rate they killing each other I am sure one day their people will be extinct from earth ...
Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

road fatalities r also reported in the news in the U.A.E. Trust me...... it prolly cos of lack of data, but this is a fact that is very highly publicised in the news in the U.A.E and they r taking extreme measure to bring the # of deaths down. Ask anyone who lives in the Emirates. They will tell u..... oh and spreading such info in the international media isnt something ANY country would be very happy to do.

I feel so bad Face to contradict. Trust me not my intention as you are such a great source of info. As I used to study politics and the things that are written in newspapers all over the world, I can reassure you that the UAE has a bad driving record but there are so many more countries which will beat UAE's statistics by far and there are many bad news which are happily reported in the newspapers to fill the space. Each and every country seems to love to prank about them being the one with the highest accident and death rates and nobody really gets to know the truth.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:54 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
I feel so bad Face to contradict. Trust me not my intention as you are such a great source of info. As I used to study politics and the things that are written in newspapers all over the world, I can reassure you that the UAE has a bad driving record but there are so many more countries which will beat UAE's statistics by far and there are many bad news which are happily reported in the newspapers to fill the space. Each and every country seems to love to prank about them being the one with the highest accident and death rates and nobody really gets to know the truth.
hmmmmmmmm....... its not the fact that other countries beat our record....... its on the road deaths per capita that the U.A.E has everyone else beat. For a population that is just under 5 million, we lose far too many ppl to RTA's.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:58 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

What's the traffic fatality rate per capita for UAE then?
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

hmmmmmmmm....... its not the fact that other countries beat our record....... its on the road deaths per capita that the U.A.E has everyone else beat. For a population that is just under 5 million, we lose far too many ppl to RTA's.
I cannot really comment, as I said, we just cannot be sure and it is nothing to be competitive about anyway. It is a sad fact that there are way too many deaths on the roads in the UAE. I know that Tehran's motorways are also reported to be the graveyard for at least 10 people A DAY. Well, that is what the papers say anyway. Note, not the whole of Iran, just the motorway network of Tehran. I for once feel a lot safer on the roads in the UAE than I do in Iran.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:03 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

What's the traffic fatality rate per capita for UAE then?
Here u go:

"United Arab Emirates

In 2003, there were 7,397 serious traffic accidents in the UAE, 873 deaths & over 10,000 injuries. Relative to the number of vehicles on the road, UAE has six times more deaths from road traffic accidents per year than the USA & Europe.

[Source: Press release dated 14 September, 2004, from Alba Diagnostics, Ltd.]"

source: http://www.driveandstayalive.com/inf...rcountries.htm

:scared: :scared: :scared:

shocking....... I didnt think it was that bad!
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:05 pm
Banned

I think the least fatalities has to be in Lebanon. Although I think it has the craziest drivers in the entire region. :scared: :scared: Traffic lights are virtually non-existent except downtown. Minor accidents are common but not too many fatalities. Most of the fatalities there are caused by trucks and buses not regular cars.

I was involved in one serious accident though, almost got killed. :scared: The car was junk yard material. :scared:
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:29 pm
Banned

UAE:

873 fatalities
Population: 6 million (estimated 3.3% population growth, 3.5 million citizens in 2001, 1.5 million non-nationals) in 2003

or rate of 14.55 per capita

USA:

42,643 fatalities
Population: 293 million

145.6 or rate of 14.56 per capita (on the website you refered to, it was actually 14.9 )

And of course, many of those fatalities might be due to inadequate emergency services compared to that of USA.

Last edited by DanMarsden; Jan 30th 2005 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:34 pm
The Oracle

UAE:

873 fatalities
Population: 6 million (estimated 3.3% population growth, 3.5 million citizens in 2001, 1.5 million non-nationals) in 2003

or rate of 14.55 per capita

USA:

42,643 fatalities
Population: 293 million

145.6 or rate of 14.56 per capita (on the website you refered to, it was actually 14.9 )

And of course, many of those fatalities might be due to inadequate emergency services compared to that of USA.
well the population isnt 6 million for starters (closer to 5 million) and its more like 1.5 million nationals. trust me......... nationals are out numbered! lol

but what about this statement:

"Relative to the number of vehicles on the road, UAE has six times more deaths from road traffic accidents per year than the USA & Europe."
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:38 pm
Banned

well the population isnt 6 million for starters (closer to 5 million) and its more like 1.5 million nationals. trust me......... nationals are out numbered! lol
Well, it doesn't matter how many nationals and non-nationals. The non-nationals drive cars too.

"Relative to the number of vehicles on the road, UAE has six times more deaths from road traffic accidents per year than the USA & Europe."
The website is contradicting itself, then. Cos I can tell you they listed the 42,... number on there too. And even if the rates are REALLY close, it's nowhere near to their estimate of "six times more than that of USA & Europe combined". Umm.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:40 pm
The Oracle

Well, it doesn't matter how many nationals and non-nationals. The non-nationals drive cars too.

The website is contradicting itself, then. Cos I can tell you they listed the 42,... number on there too. And even if the rates are REALLY close, it's nowhere near to their estimate of "six times more than that of USA & Europe combined". Umm.
gah! 4get it! lol

the U.A.E is a very, very dangerous place to drive and to be a pedestrian. Lets leave it at that.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:57 pm
Banned