Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Couple of quick questions about getting a Dubai driving licence

Couple of quick questions about getting a Dubai driving licence

Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Couple of quick questions about getting a Dubai driving licence

you don't need an ID card to get an Egate card. Even visitors can get Egate cards, providing you are from the 33 countries who get visas on arrival.

All you need for an Egate card is your passport, cash, and your finger.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
you don't need an ID card to get an Egate card. Even visitors can get Egate cards, providing you are from the 33 countries who get visas on arrival.

Another myth busted, I am wondering what we are paying our Mrs Fixer for

Thanks
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

don't be sure that your old DL will not pop up, no matter how many passports you have had since....sorry. If in doubt, clear off whatever needs to be cleared off.
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Another myth busted, I am wondering what we are paying our Mrs Fixer for

Thanks

Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

don't be sure that your old DL will not pop up, no matter how many passports you have had since....sorry. If in doubt, clear off whatever needs to be cleared off.
Its nothing so sinister. If you au fait with the way visas and licences work in AD then the reason is actually spelt out already

If I had dodgies lurking around I wouldn't have been coming back in since 2010 and wouldn't have applied for DXB residency would I ?

Will see how it goes on Weds or Thurs
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am not familiar with AD's procedures at all, only Dubai, and didn't mean to cause any offence

I know from experience that multiple passports are linked even when you think they are not so i just wanted to highlight that in case you didn't know.

Hope it all goes well!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am not familiar with AD's procedures at all, only Dubai, and didn't mean to cause any offence

I know from experience that multiple passports are linked even when you think they are not so i just wanted to highlight that in case you didn't know.

Hope it all goes well!
No offence caused Ditzy,

It really isn't dodgy
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:41 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
is this a British thing? You don't actually 'swap' your orgininal license, you just get a Dubai one and your original license is only considered proof that you are a licensed driver in one of the approved countries. The original license doesn't lose it's validity because you have a second driving from another country?
Ignore it--its satire.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

So why did mine become invalid when my resi visa expired?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

is this a British thing? You don't actually 'swap' your orgininal license, you just get a Dubai one and your original license is only considered proof that you are a licensed driver in one of the approved countries. The original license doesn't lose it's validity because you have a second driving from another country?
It's more the fact that when you become a resident elsewhere (outside the UK at any rate) and so get a local licence your UK licence becomes invalid as you are no longer a resident in the UK. In theory you should hand it back to them and then reapply on your return where it would be reissued no problem. So I assume this is the same when your residency expires, I.e. your licence becomes invalid.

It's one of these things that the majority of folk are unaware of. Most go home and drive on their home licence no problem. Cases must be rare where it has caused an issue in the event of a crash etc.

Also I don't see the point. When I go home I drive on my UAE licence. No speed camera points for me!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:38 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
So why did mine become invalid when my resi visa expired?
yeah...apart from doing driving licenses, I also do Egates with my clients, and as far as I know, you need to have a residency visa in order to obtain the Egate...
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:40 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

yeah...apart from doing driving licenses, I also do Egates with my clients, and as far as I know, you need to have a residency visa in order to obtain the Egate...
I have an egate and am not a resident. Just got it in the airport with my passport only.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:44 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
It's more the fact that when you become a resident elsewhere (outside the UK at any rate) and so get a local licence your UK licence becomes invalid as you are no longer a resident in the UK. In theory you should hand it back to them and then reapply on your return where it would be reissued no problem. So I assume this is the same when your residency expires, I.e. your licence becomes invalid.

It's one of these things that the majority of folk are unaware of. Most go home and drive on their home licence no problem. Cases must be rare where it has caused an issue in the event of a crash etc.

Also I don't see the point. When I go home I drive on my UAE licence. No speed camera points for me!
According from my info from the police and RTA, your driving license remains valid, even when your residency expires. Not sure how it works with insurance though.

From personal experience, my Dutch driving license expired while being a resident in Dubai, and I renewed it without any issue, which sort of indicates to me that the Dutch license stays valid even though I am not a resident of Holland, cause otherwise why would they issue a new one when it's not of any use?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

I have all the joy coming up this month..... resi visa renewal (and now I hear its only 2yrs??), EID, Egate etc.... yawn!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

According from my info from the police and RTA, your driving license remains valid, even when your residency expires. Not sure how it works with insurance though.

From personal experience, my Dutch driving license expired while being a resident in Dubai, and I renewed it without any issue, which sort of indicates to me that the Dutch license stays valid even though I am not a resident of Holland, cause otherwise why would they issue a new one when it's not of any use?
Could be just a UK thing.......

Thankfully we don't have to renew ours (UK) that often as I think they are valid until your 65??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.