British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Cost of Living in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cost-living-dubai-506711/)

londonguy28 Jan 16th 2008 2:55 pm

Cost of Living in Dubai

Hi guys,

I am moving to Dubai in the next few weeks (by the 15th Feb). I don't have a job, I have applied for jobs in Dubai and all the employers have asked me to be in Dubai for interviews (a catch 21).

So I am planning to come over and see my luck. (I don't want to sit in London in a few years and wonder what if I had gone to Dubai):)

My question is: I have a place to stay for 3 months which I will pay in London for, and as I don't have a job, will £2500 be enough for 2 months living in Dubai?

I worked in Customer Services, Real Estate and HR in London for the last 10 years, and I'm sure I can get some kind of work in Dubai. If you think NOT please let me know.

Many thanks everyone

arbroath_abroad Jan 16th 2008 3:52 pm

Re: Cost of Living in Dubai

Originally Posted by londonguy28 (Post 5797007)

My question is: I have a place to stay for 3 months which I will pay in London for, and as I don't have a job, will £2500 be enough for 2 months living in Dubai?

what does this mean?

Quickyj Jan 16th 2008 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by londonguy28 (Post 5797007)
Hi guys,

I am moving to Dubai in the next few weeks (by the 15th Feb). I don't have a job, I have applied for jobs in Dubai and all the employers have asked me to be in Dubai for interviews (a catch 21).

So I am planning to come over and see my luck. (I don't want to sit in London in a few years and wonder what if I had gone to Dubai):)

I worked in Customer Services, Real Estate and HR in London for the last 10 years, and I'm sure I can get some kind of work in Dubai. If you think NOT please let me know.

Many thanks everyone

Hi Mate,

I'm doing a fairly similar thing, although i just found out the company i freelance for want me to set up a contracts team in Dubai. Enough about that.

My best mate lives out there already and loves it, says it has been the best thing he's ever done, and like you i would feel crazed if in a few years i'd start to regret not going. So i too am leaving the Uk in 3-4 weeks and moving across. You should easily get somewhere to stay for that sort of money for a couple of months.

And depending on your experience, it shouldn't be hard for you to get a job either...in fact it might be fair to say that if you really went for it, you could get a job very quickly.

My best friend was offered all the three jobs he interviewed for, on the day of the interview and started three days later. Didn't like the job, left after a week, interviewed with 2 more companies, both offered him and he started the following week. It can be rediculously fast finding work. Similarly i'd imagine that if you weren't proactive enough, it might take a while.

If you're a gooner, let's chat more about this, because we may be able to offer each other advice.

Any decent bits of info i find out i'd be happy to pass on.

londonguy28 Jan 16th 2008 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Quickyj (Post 5797246)
Hi Mate,

I'm doing a fairly similar thing, although i just found out the company i freelance for want me to set up a contracts team in Dubai. Enough about that.

My best mate lives out there already and loves it, says it has been the best thing he's ever done, and like you i would feel crazed if in a few years i'd start to regret not going. So i too am leaving the Uk in 3-4 weeks and moving across. You should easily get somewhere to stay for that sort of money for a couple of months.

And depending on your experience, it shouldn't be hard for you to get a job either...in fact it might be fair to say that if you really went for it, you could get a job very quickly.

My best friend was offered all the three jobs he interviewed for, on the day of the interview and started three days later. Didn't like the job, left after a week, interviewed with 2 more companies, both offered him and he started the following week. It can be rediculously fast finding work. Similarly i'd imagine that if you weren't proactive enough, it might take a while.

If you're a gooner, let's chat more about this, because we may be able to offer each other advice.

Any decent bits of info i find out i'd be happy to pass on.

Thanks for that, You have made me happier...lol. A friend has offered me his place to stay until I get a place of my own. So the £2500 is the money I got to speand in Dubai to live off.

I have lived in London too long, need to do something with my life.

I would really like to chat with you, are you in london? I will send you my number and email to your mail box.

Thanks mate

londonguy28 Jan 16th 2008 4:17 pm

One of my friends who has a apartment in Dubai and have very kindly has given me the use of it until I find a job and a apartment in Dubai.

So in your case will £2500 will be enough?

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 5797214)
what does this mean?

Cham128 Jan 16th 2008 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by londonguy28 (Post 5797299)
One of my friends who has a apartment in Dubai and have very kindly has given me the use of it until I find a job and a apartment in Dubai.

same situation here... although to be on the safe side i'm trying to get a short contract in the uk before going out there just in case... i suppose it depends on where you're staying and where you're interviewing etc... a place to stay is the biggest expense by far but you already have that covered

Madam Medusa Jan 17th 2008 2:28 am

Originally Posted by londonguy28 (Post 5797299)

if you're not having to pay for accomodation, £2,500 should be more than enough for 2 months...

MM, xx

londonguy28 Jan 17th 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks for all your help

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5799732)
if you're not having to pay for accomodation, £2,500 should be more than enough for 2 months...

MM, xx

londonguy28 Jan 17th 2008 12:56 pm

Yeah checked the rental...wow too high... i'm glad i have that covered for a few months.

How would you find a short contract?

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5799341)
same situation here... although to be on the safe side i'm trying to get a short contract in the uk before going out there just in case... i suppose it depends on where you're staying and where you're interviewing etc... a place to stay is the biggest expense by far but you already have that covered

Cham128 Jan 17th 2008 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by londonguy28 (Post 5800249)
Yeah checked the rental...wow too high... i'm glad i have that covered for a few months.

How would you find a short contract?

i meant as in a short contract as a job... i'm a freelancer here :)

londonguy28 Jan 17th 2008 3:01 pm

lol ok

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5800651)
i meant as in a short contract as a job... i'm a freelancer here :)

NorthernLad Jan 18th 2008 2:50 am

Originally Posted by londonguy28 (Post 5800249)

According to radio yesterday, Dubai is on track to become the most expensive place in the world to rent soon.

Not exactly sure on how they get the figures though - our place here is still cheaper than the shoe box we had in London.

typical Jan 18th 2008 10:16 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 5803330)
According to radio yesterday, Dubai is on track to become the most expensive place in the world to rent soon.

Not exactly sure on how they get the figures though - our place here is still cheaper than the shoe box we had in London.

I'm confident I could get somewhere of similar size - albeit not by the beach ;) - in London for half the price I pay here.

Of course, I'd probably not want to live in Balharm or St Reatham...

londonguy28 Jan 18th 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 5804604)
I'm confident I could get somewhere of similar size - albeit not by the beach ;) - in London for half the price I pay here.

Of course, I'd probably not want to live in Balharm or St Reatham...

Streatham and Balham are not that bad... lol

So what would be a good but cheap area to live in Dubai.... as I only have the apartment for 3 months...

Thanks

typical Jan 18th 2008 10:42 am

Not that difficult to find a one-bed flat in zone 2 for £800 a month... even somewhere not so nasty like Greenwich.

Cheap housing in Dubai is all about sharing, unless you go to International City... you can see adverts on www.dubizzle.com and elsewhere.