British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/converting-uk-driving-licence-uae-points-transfer-899124/)

JCoop Jul 5th 2017 6:19 pm

Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Hi All,

Just curious - when I transfer my uk licence to a UAE licence, do any points/penalties transfer? Looks like I'll be getting 3 points soon, not that big a deal I'm just curious if they'll carry?

Thanks All! :)

Bluelionesse Jul 5th 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Originally Posted by JCoop (Post 12287539)
Hi All,

Just curious - when I transfer my uk licence to a UAE licence, do any points/penalties transfer? Looks like I'll be getting 3 points soon, not that big a deal I'm just curious if they'll carry?

Thanks All! :)

How would they know?

JCoop Jul 5th 2017 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse (Post 12287588)
How would they know?

This is essentially what I'm asking - I was assuming the process involves handing over my UK licence, and then I was wondering if they check the points and transfer them ?

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 6th 2017 4:58 am

Yes.

They contact the UK and transfer the points over.

3 UK points = 9 black points here.

Expect to be randomly pulled over for holding a high amount of black points and the annual impounding of your car whilst they renew registration with 9 points.

Good luck.

JCoop Jul 6th 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12287910)
Yes.

They contact the UK and transfer the points over.

3 UK points = 9 black points here.

Expect to be randomly pulled over for holding a high amount of black points and the annual impounding of your car whilst they renew registration with 9 points.

Good luck.

Ah ok that's cool then! Doesn't seem that big of an issue if 24 points is the max.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 6th 2017 6:56 am

Originally Posted by JCoop (Post 12287946)
Ah ok that's cool then! Doesn't seem that big of an issue if 24 points is the max.

I was only joking.

It doesn't matter at all, they won't check / can't check.

JCoop Jul 6th 2017 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12287958)
I was only joking.

It doesn't matter at all, they won't check / can't check.

Hahaha! Well that's even better news then :) I was sort of thinking "I'm impressed - people keep telling me Abu Dhabi isn't what you'd technologically efficient and yet they're on the ball with transferring points!!"

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 6th 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by JCoop (Post 12287967)
Hahaha! Well that's even better news then :) I was sort of thinking "I'm impressed - people keep telling me Abu Dhabi isn't what you'd technologically efficient and yet they're on the ball with transferring points!!"

Nah, it's pretty straight forward.

Get your eye test, take all the documents and originals, walk in with handful of things, they'll check it, sit and wait, get called over, pay, sit and wait, get called to room, photo taken, sit and wait, get called over, walk out with driving license.

Go first thing or on a Friday if they open. Lunch time or after work - rammed I expect.

jam25mack Jul 6th 2017 9:35 am

Also, once you become a resident here and have a UAE licence by the letter of the law you should give your UK licence back (no one ever does) but you shouldn't use the UK one when renting hire cars etc when back home. Always use your UAE one as its easier (you don't need to have the Electoral record check done and also speeding fines never get back to you!

mission Jul 6th 2017 10:59 am

there is no 'transferring' of license - you just get a UAE license.

kostik3000 Jul 8th 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12287989)
Nah, it's pretty straight forward.

Get your eye test, take all the documents and originals, walk in with handful of things, they'll check it, sit and wait, get called over, pay, sit and wait, get called to room, photo taken, sit and wait, get called over, walk out with driving license.

Go first thing or on a Friday if they open. Lunch time or after work - rammed I expect.

Don't need your photo taken either... they scan your passport. Changed mine last week. 40 min in total.

kostik3000 Jul 8th 2017 11:20 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12288058)
Also, once you become a resident here and have a UAE licence by the letter of the law you should give your UK licence back (no one ever does) but you shouldn't use the UK one when renting hire cars etc when back home. Always use your UAE one as its easier (you don't need to have the Electoral record check done and also speeding fines never get back to you!

Apart from all reputable renting agencies in UAE are asking you for your UK license as your UAE is freshly issued and you cannot rent with them if your UAE license is less than 1 year old :)

So, yeah, don't give it back in any case.

IKnowNothing Jul 8th 2017 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by kostik3000 (Post 12289621)
Apart from all reputable renting agencies in UAE are asking you for your UK license as your UAE is freshly issued and you cannot rent with them if your UAE license is less than 1 year old :)

You mean there's a "reputable renting agency"???

WOW

UKMS Jul 8th 2017 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12288058)

By the letter of what law ? ... you can have more than one licence (except EU I believe) the same as you can have more than one passport.

jam25mack Jul 9th 2017 4:40 am

Originally Posted by kostik3000 (Post 12289621)

This must be a new thing. Personally I'd avoid doing that. Just say you don't have it.

Originally Posted by UKMS (Post 12289852)
By the letter of what law ? ... you can have more than one licence (except EU I believe) the same as you can have more than one passport.

By what the DVLA say. Apparently if you are a non resident in the UK your UK licence isn't valid.