Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Old Jul 5th 2017, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Hi All,

Just curious - when I transfer my uk licence to a UAE licence, do any points/penalties transfer? Looks like I'll be getting 3 points soon, not that big a deal I'm just curious if they'll carry?

Thanks All!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Converting UK Driving Licence to UAE - Points Transfer?

Originally Posted by JCoop
Hi All,

Just curious - when I transfer my uk licence to a UAE licence, do any points/penalties transfer? Looks like I'll be getting 3 points soon, not that big a deal I'm just curious if they'll carry?

Thanks All!
How would they know?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
How would they know?
This is essentially what I'm asking - I was assuming the process involves handing over my UK licence, and then I was wondering if they check the points and transfer them ?
Old Jul 6th 2017, 4:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yes.

They contact the UK and transfer the points over.

3 UK points = 9 black points here.

Expect to be randomly pulled over for holding a high amount of black points and the annual impounding of your car whilst they renew registration with 9 points.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yes.

They contact the UK and transfer the points over.

3 UK points = 9 black points here.

Expect to be randomly pulled over for holding a high amount of black points and the annual impounding of your car whilst they renew registration with 9 points.

Good luck.
Ah ok that's cool then! Doesn't seem that big of an issue if 24 points is the max.

Thanks !
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Ah ok that's cool then! Doesn't seem that big of an issue if 24 points is the max.

Thanks !
I was only joking.

It doesn't matter at all, they won't check / can't check.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

I was only joking.

It doesn't matter at all, they won't check / can't check.
Hahaha! Well that's even better news then I was sort of thinking "I'm impressed - people keep telling me Abu Dhabi isn't what you'd technologically efficient and yet they're on the ball with transferring points!!"

Thanks !
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Hahaha! Well that's even better news then I was sort of thinking "I'm impressed - people keep telling me Abu Dhabi isn't what you'd technologically efficient and yet they're on the ball with transferring points!!"

Thanks !
Nah, it's pretty straight forward.

Get your eye test, take all the documents and originals, walk in with handful of things, they'll check it, sit and wait, get called over, pay, sit and wait, get called to room, photo taken, sit and wait, get called over, walk out with driving license.

Go first thing or on a Friday if they open. Lunch time or after work - rammed I expect.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Also, once you become a resident here and have a UAE licence by the letter of the law you should give your UK licence back (no one ever does) but you shouldn't use the UK one when renting hire cars etc when back home. Always use your UAE one as its easier (you don't need to have the Electoral record check done and also speeding fines never get back to you!
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

there is no 'transferring' of license - you just get a UAE license.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

kostik3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, it's pretty straight forward.

Get your eye test, take all the documents and originals, walk in with handful of things, they'll check it, sit and wait, get called over, pay, sit and wait, get called to room, photo taken, sit and wait, get called over, walk out with driving license.

Go first thing or on a Friday if they open. Lunch time or after work - rammed I expect.
Don't need your photo taken either... they scan your passport. Changed mine last week. 40 min in total.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

kostik3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Also, once you become a resident here and have a UAE licence by the letter of the law you should give your UK licence back (no one ever does) but you shouldn't use the UK one when renting hire cars etc when back home. Always use your UAE one as its easier (you don't need to have the Electoral record check done and also speeding fines never get back to you!
Apart from all reputable renting agencies in UAE are asking you for your UK license as your UAE is freshly issued and you cannot rent with them if your UAE license is less than 1 year old

So, yeah, don't give it back in any case.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kostik3000
Apart from all reputable renting agencies in UAE are asking you for your UK license as your UAE is freshly issued and you cannot rent with them if your UAE license is less than 1 year old

You mean there's a "reputable renting agency"???

WOW
Old Jul 8th 2017, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
By the letter of what law ? ... you can have more than one licence (except EU I believe) the same as you can have more than one passport.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kostik3000

This must be a new thing. Personally I'd avoid doing that. Just say you don't have it.

Originally Posted by UKMS
By the letter of what law ? ... you can have more than one licence (except EU I believe) the same as you can have more than one passport.
By what the DVLA say. Apparently if you are a non resident in the UK your UK licence isn't valid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.