Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Contemplating a potential move to AD

Contemplating a potential move to AD

Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

jimbouk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contemplating a potential move to AD

Hi all, another noobie here, have read a lot of the forum already apologies if the questions im asking have been asked a million times.

Im married with 2 children considering a move to AD. I work as a professional, and would be moving to a quasi govermental org in Ad. I have just come back from a short flying visit and I need to decide whether to come.

So I could do with some advice please...

whats AD like to bring up kids;
if i move in june/july what are my chances of getting kids (5/7 into a decent school);
i have some questions about the organisation/package but i would prefer to pm someone about them if i have a volunteer!
what should i budget for expenses - in understand housing/school fees will be paid (presumably there are clubs with pools etc for weekends?);
what are the tax implications for me if i move part way through a tax year, i assume i will not pay income tax on sums earned in AD from the date im AD resident?
Is the expat community pretty welcoming etc? whats the best way to make some new contacts outside of work....?

tahnks in advance all!
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating a potential move to AD

You work as a professional what?
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
You work as a professional what?
businessman
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
businessman
apologies for my vagueness, im a lawyer.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you leave it until as late at July to come out? Or will you go first then bring the family later (a good idea)

Just be careful of any quasi-government organisations...
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Why would you leave it until as late at July to come out? Or will you go first then bring the family later (a good idea)

Just be careful of any quasi-government organisations...
well, I have a notice period which I will probably be held to... and yes I think I would leave the kids/missus here initally. Though the need to do this in itself worries me, as I am leaving a stable long term career here, and would hate this all to be a very short term thing.

Heh on beware of the quasi govermental entities... I would have thought they would have been good employers - or do you just say that to everything?
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimbouk
Heh on beware of the quasi govermental entities... I would have thought they would have been good employers - or do you just say that to everything?
No I say that very specifically to Abu Dhabi quasi-government entities. Even the Dubai ones look a better bet these days.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Millhouse, can anyone help on the more nebulous stuff...

Ie whats it like to bring up kids etc?
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:10 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Millhouse, can anyone help on the more nebulous stuff...

Ie whats it like to bring up kids etc?
its terrible to bring up kids here. that is why we all do it. We are bad people...

what kind of response do you want from an expat forum (that mostly has kids living here) to that question...

its great..my daughter is happy.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commander
its terrible to bring up kids here. that is why we all do it. We are bad people...

what kind of response do you want from an expat forum (that mostly has kids living here) to that question...

its great..my daughter is happy.
Sorry, I guess I was just after exactly that reassurance. I was just concerned what you do with them in the extreme summer months... send them somewhere else must be the answer!
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:03 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I guess I was just after exactly that reassurance. I was just concerned what you do with them in the extreme summer months... send them somewhere else must be the answer!
hahaha yea. home to UK.

we have a brilliant life here. my daughter at nearly 4 can swim well (i doubt that would happen in UK) she does karate...(well she bows and says a few words for 40AED a session) but my point is..we are all professionals here..and we all (and im sure i speak on behalf of everyone) make a decision to stay here based on the wellbeing and future of our sprogs.

man, go for it. your kids will LOVE IT
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:07 pm
banned

oh, and i just moved back to dubai after spending 3 brilliant years in Abu dhabi.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:09 am
Banned

nikkisizer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, another noobie here, have read a lot of the forum already apologies if the questions im asking have been asked a million times.

Im married with 2 children considering a move to AD. I work as a professional, and would be moving to a quasi govermental org in Ad. I have just come back from a short flying visit and I need to decide whether to come.

So I could do with some advice please...

whats AD like to bring up kids;
if i move in june/july what are my chances of getting kids (5/7 into a decent school);
i have some questions about the organisation/package but i would prefer to pm someone about them if i have a volunteer!
what should i budget for expenses - in understand housing/school fees will be paid (presumably there are clubs with pools etc for weekends?);
what are the tax implications for me if i move part way through a tax year, i assume i will not pay income tax on sums earned in AD from the date im AD resident?
Is the expat community pretty welcoming etc? whats the best way to make some new contacts outside of work....?

tahnks in advance all!
Hi jimbouk,

I can't comment on the child situation as I do not have any but I am qualified to comment on the tax implications.

There are lots of rules concerning residency with HMRC eg. whether you are classed as UK Resident, UK Resident but not Ordinarily Resident, Not UK Resident etc.

Factors such as your employment contract being from a Local company rather than a UK company, connections back in the UK, date you leave the UK and if during a tax year if you qualify for split-year treatment with HMRC, if you are planning to permanently leave the UK, the list goes on!

There is too much to go into detail here but I am based in Dubai so happy to help you further if required
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:02 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkisizer
Hi jimbouk,

I can't comment on the child situation as I do not have any but I am qualified to comment on the tax implications.

There are lots of rules concerning residency with HMRC eg. whether you are classed as UK Resident, UK Resident but not Ordinarily Resident, Not UK Resident etc.

Factors such as your employment contract being from a Local company rather than a UK company, connections back in the UK, date you leave the UK and if during a tax year if you qualify for split-year treatment with HMRC, if you are planning to permanently leave the UK, the list goes on!

There is too much to go into detail here but I am based in Dubai so happy to help you further if required
Oh really.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Oh really.
Careful, BB, the noob's been here SIX years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.